Starting out tomorrow

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
If you want to keep your sanity never ever check RvR boards on here :p

Krako

Fledgling Freddie
Aye, most of the time, the RvR boards are much like the houses of parliament during debate time, yeesh.....

lesee.....a paladin eh? its true that your class is bloody hard to topple, if played right, your not there to rip people apart, your there to take the damage and stay alive, when the fight is over, you should be the last one standing.

your skills and speclines help you with this, for starters, you can wear the peak of albion armor, plate, which can withstand many a beating, get yourself a shield too, your class can spec in the shield, meaning you can accessthe slam style, a nice 8 second stun to a close range target, doesnt sound like much, but putting a enemy out of comission forsome time means you and your allies will last longer.

A weapon shouldnt be your main concern, but defending all the time wont get you all the way, a slight offense is needed, else even with a bloody high defense, that Savage can rip you apart (they do that VERY well), or in PvE, you wont be able to keep the target locked onto you, and your allies will get hurt.

What seperates you from the armsman and the mercenery, oh, and the reaver, is your chants specline, these are pulse spells that can affect you and your party while in effect, with healing, endurance regeneration, and other effects, although they will cost power to maintain, and you can only have one chant active at a time.

Eventually, as you near the first main milestone of the big level FIVE OH, you will need to fashion a template to improve your combat prowess, since you have chosen Glastonbury, artifacts will be ignored, however, you will need to se a armorsmith, and a spellcrafter to make you enchanted equipment. (if you need help to make a template, search the forums, the LOKI is a good tool in making templates.) If you dont, you will get steamrolled by others who have invested into templates, and that isnt good. :mad:

At lvl 20 you can enter the first active battleground, Thidranki, for your baptism of fire in the world of realm on realm combat. battlegrounds are where you can get a great taste of whats to come, in a more controlled RvR enviroment, its also where you should earn your first Realm Points, which are awarded in fighting for your realm, realm points mean realm prizes, in the form of realm ranks and realm abilites.

Speaking of realm abilities, you should invest in Determination, as it can lower the time you will remain mesmerized (when mezzed, you are unable to act unless the mez timer expires or you take damage) or affected by other forms of Crowd Control, Ignore pain can heal you significantly in combat, keeping you alive longer, and Verdant heal can almost fully heal you and your party in one shot, also, invest in purge, it allows you to get rid of any negative bonuses on you along with mez, butthe first lvl of it takes 15 seconds delay.

be sure to protect your spellcasters in the rear, although they can cause all forms of havoc, they wont last long at all in close combat, one of your roles will be to stop any of the enemy from reaching your rear, thats where your cleric will probably be, and if he falls to a nightshade or a bersrker you ignored, your team, and you, will fall shortly after.

going out to RvR alone is often suicidal, however as a paladin, you should have no trouble finding a group, if you have ventrilo or teamspeak, use them, faster communication means better teamwork means more RPs.

as the realms clash, towers fall, keeps are claimed, and relics switch sides, keep in your role and you will rise, and with reputation, become a respected warrior from your realmates, and a feared opponent from your enemies.

in short, take the aggro, stay alive, protect the more squishy realmmates, earn the RPs, grow stronger, and have fun. :clap:

Jai13

Fledgling Freddie
should make boxsets for each class and put that on the paly one imo :) +1

Toggers

One of Freddy's beloved
agreed, definately a nice post :)

few things about the ra choice though, det might not be the best choice for paladin because you dont have the benefit of stoicism for a merc its a must have but for a pala purge would probably be a better investment especially at low rr and on the subject of purge the lvl 1 ability has 5 sec delay with a re-use time of 15 mins. also the group heal you mentioned is actually called vehement renewal and it doesnt actually heal the paladin only other members of the group within the radius, lvl 1 being pretty much worthless lvl 2 being the wiser choice although imo debatable. for lvling mastery of blocking is still a very good choice id go down that route first then perhaps invest on ip, can be very handy if ur lvling in a grp and you end up with a little too much aggro on you. purge is pretty much useless for lvling but you can always respec ra's cheaply and perhaps at 50 look at changing your ras again for rvr.

but then i ditched my pala a long time ago so what do i know :cheers:

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Nice guide to Paladins by Krako.

Only thing I'd add is that what makes a Paladin great is the ability to 'twist' several chants so you gain the benefit of all of them at once.

Usually, in PvE, I'll hit Armour chant, damage add, endurance regen and heal in short succession. The result of that is that all are on, but all bar heal last 6 seconds or so. After 7 seconds, the heal pulses again. At this point, repeat the process, and they'll all be up again.

Don't worry about not getting the hang of it at first.

Darzil

Krako

Fledgling Freddie
What can i say? ive been doing my homework....most of the time......:D

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
i'd say picking excal/pryd cluster is the way to go

catacombs still exists there for leveling and id say toa grind is a great way of learning a class

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom