SSD slowdown

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
My new SSD on the wifes PC was kicking along at 130 read (Its a clapped out SATA 1)
Booted it up yesterday and it took a week, benchmarked it at 3mbs, couldn't fix it, so moved lead onto next port..back up to full speed.
Weird or is there a reason?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Job

Possibly, maybe you can pull it out a bit and it slows down, or the bits are leaking out and I'll have to empty the computer case.

Athan

Resident Freddy
I was more thinking that if it's not quite seated it may pick up interference from other things in the case.

On the other hand if the 'old' port plain doesn't work properly now it can easily be stuffed. I had that with one a couple of years back. Another SATA port on the same motherboard (I can't recall if via the same chipset) still works fine.

Job

I did suspect that but Im not going to test it because its working now and things can only go bad.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
the NSA is leeching the pr0n

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Um, it needs a TRIM? For any SSD I would always create a partition the total size less 10 per cent to allow for TRIM etc.

Job

Yeah, I read about trim, using XP so no trim avaliable, you can use 3rd party apps, but read scare
stories of them causing block failures.I think the latest SSD's might trim themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom