Rant Squash.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I like orange squash at night and in the car when I go and visit my mum, it helps with the stress induced heartburn. I do not like 'no added sugar' stuff, it tastes shit and I have never ever liked it.

What has happened recently is you cannot buy the sugar version of *any* brand of squash anywhere in any shops in Stoke. All you can buy is the aspartame sweetened stuff. Thats fine if I choose to want that but I don't, we give our kids the none sugar stuff for their teeth health (fucking dubious about that one tbh, good brushing is all that is needed).

I have heard nothing about this, but is it a new incentive to remove all sugar squash from the shelves because of the fucking retarded idle parents who can't monitor their kids correctly? Is this why I can't have my juice anymore? If this is the case why isn't sugared Coke banned etc?

Honestly I have looked everywhere including Makro and JTF and nowhere in the area has any.

Wankers :eek:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Drink water m8. Juice is for losers. Wasted calories :)

And don't gimme any of that "water tastes like shit" crap - it's what humans have been drinking for hundreds of thousands of years. If you feel that way then your tastes are fucked because you're addicted to sugar :p

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Water is for fish to have sex in. Plus the tap water round Stoke tastes pretty foul (especially in Stafford where it's 1 part water 99 parts Limescale).

I just drink Pepsi tbh. All teeth are present and correct and am pretty far from being obese :)

Trem

Drink water m8. Juice is for losers. Wasted calories :)

And don't gimme any of that "water tastes like shit" crap - it's what humans have been drinking for hundreds of thousands of years. If you feel that way then your tastes are fucked because you're addicted to sugar :p
I drink lots of water, filtered through my fridge dispener. Like Bods says water is shit around Stoke and in our area we have one of the highest concentrations of flouride in the country in our water, again this is something I would like a choice on.

Why can't we just have the fucking choice anymore? Just read that Robinsons (Britvic) have stopped selling all sugar containing juice in favour of the no added sugar stuff to "make it easier for consumers". Natural sugar is surely better for you than aspartame, surely?

I want juice for when I want juice and water when I want water :eek:

Edit - Britvic must make a hell of a lot of other products because I can find no other juice with sugar in it :(

I drink a bastard massive amount of water because of Topamax medication so sometimes I just want a change from water.

Last edited:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The argument is that fruit drinks are marketed as "health" drinks and obviously you poor plebs mistakenly think its good for you when in fact its laced with sugar.
Thats why you cant buy your sugar version anymore, but your coca cola obviously is fine!

Syri

FH is my second home
Asda do some own-brand squash that doesn't use aspartame. It's not got sugar either, but the sweetener they use is a lot better tasting.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I like orange squash at night and in the car when I go and visit my mum, it helps with the stress induced heartburn. I do not like 'no added sugar' stuff, it tastes shit and I have never ever liked it.

What has happened recently is you cannot buy the sugar version of *any* brand of squash anywhere in any shops in Stoke. All you can buy is the aspartame sweetened stuff. Thats fine if I choose to want that but I don't, we give our kids the none sugar stuff for their teeth health (fucking dubious about that one tbh, good brushing is all that is needed).

I have heard nothing about this, but is it a new incentive to remove all sugar squash from the shelves because of the fucking retarded idle parents who can't monitor their kids correctly? Is this why I can't have my juice anymore? If this is the case why isn't sugared Coke banned etc?

Honestly I have looked everywhere including Makro and JTF and nowhere in the area has any.

Wankers :eek:

I read about some shitty supermarket (might have been Tesco) that is removing proper Ribena from their shelves because shit parents are shit.

Shit parents should be pushed into the sea and I should still be able to buy proper Ribena.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Natural sugar is surely better for you than aspartame, surely?

No, sugar is a pretty harmful substance. Aspartame, despite the internet's dubious claims, is completely safe.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Natural sugar is surely better for you than aspartame, surely?
Yeah, as tom says - currently aspartame is classified as safe with no side effects. Sugar isn't.

We've a £15bn a year bill coming for diabetes in the UK (currently about £10bn). That's a colossal waste of NHS resources for an organisation that was designed to fix you if you broke something or got cancer - not an organisation designed to manage stupid people's sugary lifestyles.

Last edited:

Trem

Yeah, as tom says - currently aspartame is classified as safe with no side effects. Sugar isn't.

We've a £15bn a year bill coming for diabetes in the UK. That's a colossal waste of NHS resources for an organisation that was designed to fix you if you broke something or got cancer - not an organisation designed to manage stupid people's sugary lifestyles.
But Mcdonalds and Coke are hunky dorey because of the revenue they bring in?

Listen it's not the god damn fucking sugar in squash that's breaking the NHS it's the constant stream of people stuffing their faces with every piece of crap they can get their hands on. It's utter bullshit to argue otherwise.

The NHS will go bankrupt because of obesity and its FUCK ALL TO DO WITH MY MOTHER FUCKING SQUASH :eek:

Sugar is not causing diabetes it's obesity…probably. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But Mcdonalds and Coke are hunky dorey because of the revenue they bring in?

Nobody is arguing that at all. The reason that squash has been targetted is that it's an easy win - if all producers only produce zero sugar squash then nobody gets sugar from squash and, more importantly, soft drinks manufacturers don't lose any money from making that change - they still compete with other manufacturers but, voluntarily, not with sugar content.

Sugar is not causing diabetes it's obesity…probably.

Considering insulin is involved in the regulation of sugar and that repeated exposure to high levels of sugar over time causes insulin production to become attenuated and less effective then you'd have to see a clear causal link.

I'm not sure about "obesity" itself being a cause - maybe it is - but one of the main causes in obesity is too much sugar in the diet.

Everyone's known for years that sugary drinks are bad for you unless consumed incredibly rarely (certainly not every day and only if you are exercising enough to burn it off). But people have juice with their meals and behaviour ain't changing.

Welcome to the nanny state.

Bodhi

That's all very worthy, but what about those of us that know the risks but can easily manage our intake and would quite like to continue the sugary goodness. I take it we don't get a say because a bunch of puritans say it is bad?

Trem

After my statement I went and checked (like I usually do) and the main cause of diabetes is obesity. Obviously sugar adds to making you a biffer if you don't regulate it but for christ sake, I can.

My kids have perfect teeth and aren't fat either and neither am I or my wife and we were raised on Ribena etc.

Nanny state for sure but we are losing any choice we had on things, things even this stupid.

Syri

FH is my second home
Also, I'd like to point out sugar is naturally occurring, and has been in our diets for many, many years. Most sweeteners, such as aspartame, are entirely artificial, and too recent to have any definite data on long term effects. Plus aspartame leaves a really bad aftertaste...
I'm all for making it more obvious what things do and what the effects can be, but I think just removing it, when there's far more dangerous things left out there, is plain wrong. Yes, raise awareness, but then make sure that anyone who continues to drink squash with sugar, knows what they're getting. Lots of things can do harm if you take in too much, some more so than sugar even. As long as you don't have too much, and use the energy you take in, take care of teeth etc, sugar is fine in moderation.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That's all very worthy, but what about those of us that know the risks but can easily manage our intake and would quite like to continue the sugary goodness. I take it we don't get a say because a bunch of puritans say it is bad?

Nah, you don't get a say because there's a giant fuckload of retards on the planet and the government has asked manufacturers to solve their problems because other human beings simply aren't modifying their behaviour - and the government doesn't really give a fuck about how you feel about it - they're more interested in saving billions off the NHS bill.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for freedom of choice. I've freely chosen to not drink sugary drinks because I understand that the science says it's not worth it unless I'm doing an hour's strenuous exercise. I hadn't even noticed that they don't manufacture sugary drinks any more because I stopped buying them years ago. I figure they're for the kids really anyway.

But yep. I can see how it'd annoy you. But in the big scheme of things? First world problems...

Edit:
Yes, raise awareness, but then make sure that anyone who continues to drink squash with sugar, knows what they're getting. Lots of things can do harm if you take in too much, some more so than sugar even. As long as you don't have too much, and use the energy you take in, take care of teeth etc, sugar is fine in moderation.

This is true. But it's also not working. People are completely aware and they're doing nothing and not getting enough exercise. Meanwhile diabetes and obesity is taking up a fuckload of the NHS budget when it can barely afford it.

So the government has acted. It has treated us like retard babies. It's because most of us are...

Bodhi

Ah, the old we know what's best for you approach. Great!

/Me takes another drag on his cigarette and toddles off to find another can of Pepsi.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Ah, the old we know what's best for you approach. Great!

/Me takes another drag on his cigarette and toddles off to find another can of Pepsi.

I am smoking one while reading @Scouse's drivel too.

I might have some red meat for my tea too, followed up by a beer.

Bodhi

I couldn't find any Pepsi. There was one can of Relentless left in the fridge however, so I've gone with that.

Yum.

Trem

@Scouse was explaining stuff in a none argumentative manner from his point of view IMO lads. Kind of agreeing that the country is fucked up like we know it is.

Bodhi

Didn't disagree with anything that he said. Well, I disagreed that this is how things should be, not that this is how things are if that makes sense.

Trem

How much do ciggies cost nowadays anyway? I'm on baccy.

Bodhi

How much do ciggies cost nowadays anyway? I'm on baccy.

Two arms and pretty much both your legs. Decided to get 20 Embassy Number 1's yesterday for old time's sake. £9.73!!!! Think they'll be staying for old time's sake as well.

Thankfully I travel a lot, so I'm never too far away from Duty Free, or even just cigs at European prices (I can recommend Portugal - they were about £2.50 a packet there). But when I don;t ge tto travel for a while (as in right now when most of our European colleagues are on holiday), I can cope with Sovereigns/Windsor Blue, both under £7 a pack.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It's very simple, drink fruit juice, it's still full of sugar (and because it's generally marketed at adults, there are no plans to change that) and you're getting a few vitamins that weren't put in by test tube. If you want sugar there's not exactly a shortage of options.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's very simple, drink fruit juice, it's still full of sugar (and because it's generally marketed at adults, there are no plans to change that) and you're getting a few vitamins that weren't put in by test tube. If you want sugar there's not exactly a shortage of options.
Yep.

But again, because it's full of sugar I hardly get it in. I didn't quite realise how much (I figured "orange juice - bound to be healthy eh?" - and used to drink it by the litre). Now I only get it if I'm off for an all day ride - and I'll have a pint before I go out and finish it off when I get in.

Trem

No. I want squash with sugar. I want juice that I dilute. It's like you saying you want coffee but coffee with caffeine has been discontinued so I say have tea.

It's not the same thing, fruit juice is too much when I wake in the middle of the night or if I want to guzzle down loads because I'm thirsty or have heartburn.

That is just making out I'm being pissy or awkward and I aren't whether hub cap agrees with you or not :eek:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
No. I want squash with sugar. I want juice that I dilute. It's like you saying you want coffee but coffee with caffeine has been discontinued so I say have tea.

It's not the same thing, fruit juice is too much when I wake in the middle of the night or if I want to guzzle down loads because I'm thirsty or have heartburn.

That is just making out I'm being pissy or awkward and I aren't whether hub cap agrees with you or not :eek:

Fine. I'm sure you'll get your fix from cordials aimed at the adult market (there are plenty); you'll just have to accept you won't get a free Minions toy when you buy a bottle ;)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Here's my proposals Trem:

- try drinking orange J2O? It's laced with sugar
- try adding you own sugar? You might need to heat it slightly

I can't taste anything these days apart from the carpet I've been licking after a proper hit of skag.

soze

I am a FH squatter

Tesco near me still sells Orange Barley which is full of sugar and not bad. Everything else is no added sugar. Some of it is still 20\30 cal a glass but full of sweeteners too. Pish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom