Speed of boards

Sar

Part of the furniture
The current stats:

Most users ever online was 427, Today at 12:35 PM.

Threads: 3,887, Posts: 57,837, Members: 3,836

I wonder how many of those 3836 have contributed their £10?

I wonder how many of those 3836 actually care about this place surviving?

This place is getting hammered, and it appears that only a small percentage of that 3836 actually care about this place - at a guess, I'd say about 12%.

The rest I'm sure don't give a monkey's, and they're ruining it for those of us that do care.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Welcome to DAOC patch day guys ..... their servers are being updated, FH gets cunted to fuck and back :)

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
Welcome to DAOC patch day guys ..... their servers are being updated, FH gets cunted to fuck and back :)
In all fairness the entire net seems slow today.
I think mydoom and mydoom.b hammering SCO and MS are causing alot of the slowdown.
Our network here is clean but we are getting complaints all the time about slow connections

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Not only very slow.....

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think FH is about to die, its very hard to get pages up now.

*creak*

*groan*

someone has their work cut out :)

*shudder*

Sar

Part of the furniture
TBH, I think the DAoC users should be farmed off into their own forums, seperate from FH. Now purely for issues of useability - the rest of us can barely get pages loaded here now.

:/

Sar

Part of the furniture
53 seconds it took for that to appear after I hit "Post Quick Reply".

Oh the irony!

:(

Edit: And again!

Of the 457 users that were online at once earlier, I'd guess about 50 of those were non-DAoC players.

That means there's 8 times as many DAoC-ers flooding these boards than there is regular users.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
really it's a bit much sar. goa had a link to BW and now one to FH. It's the daoc community's fault for using what they are told are the boards for the english servers? I think that you could find alot bigger things in life to whinge about than this. It's not as though you are posting anything more important or intresting than the average daoc whine.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Damn i'd really love our own forums. I want nazi moderation on the Excal RvR forums in any case. Half those assholes do nothing but whine about shit that hasn't even happened yet (re: ToA, the expansion pack which will 'destory the game' due for release Feb. 25th)

But yeah, lots of extra DAoC players using FH atm cause of the patching. Look on the bright side after today.. urmmm... well actually they'l probably be a big whine about how this patch has Destoryed the Game!! (noticing a trend here? :)) and then all the people going on about how the doomsayers are fucktards, and the doomsayers telling the bitchez to stfu and dirl and all those lovely choice phrases they picked up from their older brothers and sisters while looking around for their mothers credit cards and... i'm sorry, i'm digressing.

In any case, after the patch goes loads of people will bugger off to play it (not me, my PC's rodgered atm :()

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Sar said:
TBH, I think the DAoC users should be farmed off into their own forums, seperate from FH. Now purely for issues of useability - the rest of us can barely get pages loaded here now.

:/

Agree with most of that Sar. In any case; DAoC mostly DO have their own forums (however they ARE sharing {or is that hogging} the resources for everyone). They have their own General (*3), Off Topic (*3) and live within their own "Cyberworlds". Most of the stuff on there would have many people jumping up and shouting "SPAMMER" to the max. BUT, we dont own nor control these boards and its ultimately up to TtD et al to decide whats best for ALL of the communities. Just seems to me that DAoC have a very unhealthy influence on these boards (directly or indirectly)

** NOTE ** This is NOT a finger pointing nor flaming exercise, merely stating my opinion

Sar

Part of the furniture
Through sheer numbers they do have an adverse effect on these forums - and did on BW to a degree, but it's more noticeable here now.

I'm not saying they're doing it deliberately, because I know they're not. But their en masse presence is in effect causing FH's to suffer the same results as a DOS attack.

By saying I think they should be farmed off onto seperate forums I mean just that - completely seperate. Seperate database (sharing a login if poss with FH for convenience), seperate server box, seperate forums url etc.

Maybe then the rest of us who were "here" (on BW) before DAoC even began development can get on with business as usual.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
sibanac said:
In all fairness the entire net seems slow today.
I think mydoom and mydoom.b hammering SCO and MS are causing alot of the slowdown
The volume of email associated with MyDoom isnt helping - although it now seems to be dying down a little, but the DOS component doesnt seem to be causing any problem at all.

The DOS attack against SCO never came to anything since a few minutes after it was due to begin the www.sco.com address (that it was due to attack) was removed from the DNS servers. The chance was left until the last minute to let SCO see just how bad it would be.

As for the DOS attack against Microsoft - this came from the second variant of MyDoom which doesnt seem to have spread in any real numbers. Any performance testing of Microsoft's servers (for example Netcraft'sshows no significant change in performance when this DOS was scheduled to start (shortly after 1 GMT this afternoon)

Of course with all the publicity this virus has attracted any performance glitches in the next few days will be (wrongly) attributed to it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No doubt the number of people in the DAOC forums are having an adverse affect right now, but if its not a bandwidth problem (as ted has suggested), and just the server being daft, then in the long run the number of people in DAOC shouldn't really be a problem.

There still remains the issues of abuse, and also those who choose not to contribute (although it is voluntary, so I guess you have to be careful what you say), but those are separate issues.

Sar

Part of the furniture
It looks as though it's happening because of the database being hammered by the numbers of people using the forums.

The record is now 479 people - how many SQL queries would those 479 people generate?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You're asking someone who doesn't even know what an SQL is.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
<whine>
If GOA brought the servers up there wouldn't be this problem :)
</whine>

Sar

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
You're asking someone who doesn't even know what an SQL is.
Heh,

Well my understanding of it is as follows (This may be wrong, as my grasp of Web Tech is loose at best):

The SQL is like an Access Database - it stores all the information that the forums use: Users, passwords, posts, threads etc, EVERYTHING.

Now in order to generate any page on the forums, the forum software queries the SQL database for the information it needs to display: In the case of this page it would be each user's details, the number of posts on the page, the contents of each post etc.

Each time a page is generated, the database receives multiple hits - for instance, generating the front page with its Who's Online list would generate literally hundreds of queries, especially at the moment with so many people browsing the forums and logged in and visible. It also queries the dbase to gather the last post in each forum etc.

So with 500 people online simultaneously (as we've had today), all loading pages, posting posts, creating threads changing personal settings and so on, then this will put an enormous strain on the dbase, as it tries to simultaneously respond to all these queries.

Like I said, that's the way I think it works, and I'm sure someone like Xav or Wilier will be able to corroborate or refute that.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
SQL stands for Simple Query Language, afaik. And it's a language designed to interrogate databases, you're not far off, sar. If you have an access database with a whole bunch of tables and fields and whatnot, you use SQL to find specific data.

Code:
 SELECT Student.[Name], Finance[Money Owed] FROM Student, Finance WHERE Student.[ID Number] = Finance[Student ID]

That basically says, get the student name from the student table and the money owed from the finance table where the ID number (which is an arguement you give the query) matches an id number from the finance table. It's just a way of linking tables and searching things and this really is getting a bit too involved but god damn it I typed it all so by gum you're bloody gunna read it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Server Load Averages 2.80 6.70 15.47 | 340 Users Online

^ going back down now :)

Wile E. Coyote

Fledgling Freddie
Yup. SQL is a query language used in most of todays DBMS (Database Managment Systems). And it stands for Structured Query Language.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Rest easy, generalites. Your precious pages will load up normally for the next month or so (barring any unforseen server mishaps)! You might want to arrange to be away from the pc for at least a couple of days when TOA is released because all hell is going to break loose! :D

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
it had been worse than that :/

*fluffle teedles*

Sar

Part of the furniture
Don't see why we should all suffer when Goa fuck things up. It's not as if they've anything to do with us.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I think everyone is jumping to conclusions blaming daoc in this case. Until Deebs actually says, "yes the amount of use on the forums is currently killing it" then why moan about daoc so fiercly.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Nobody said anything about that for ages. STOP BRINGING UP BAD THINGS :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thats what your mum said after you 'regurgitated' those 7 pints of cider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom