Speed of boards

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Is it just me, or are these boards getting slower? Sometimes it takes more than 10 seconds to make a post.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I've noticed this too, although it seems to come in spells.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I noticed a dramatic slow down when BW finished and the DAOC lot migrated over.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
For myself its getting to the point where browsing FH is a pain.

At the time of posting this, there are 27 people browsing various areas of the boards, and 238 browsing DAOC!

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Today is the first day I've noticed a slowdown at all and...its BAAAADDDD.

Really crawling (I'm on 10Mbit here ffs) and I cba waiting for half the threads to open.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Time to mumble rude things about the DAOCers, methinks ;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Its been slow for a while, and getting more sluggish.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Lol.

The server can't take the strain.

AT LEAST I PAID MY £10! (Hello cheapskate DAoC SPAMHORDES!)

*cough*

;)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
It's probaby a combination of the amount of DAoC peeps, the MYDoom virus flying round the net and DBs hosting all that goat pr0n on the same box ;)

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Why are there no "Page generated in: ***" details?

Because i've not got any problems.

:/

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well, this morning, the site was running nice and quick. Come 12 o'clock, and its down to a crawl.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
If the DAoCers bother you so much why not just petition GOA to set up their own forum? FH is doing GOA a huge favour by keeping these boards running to their (well, your) disadvantage.

Stop blaming the DAoCers for the lag problems because what the hell do you expect when these boards are providing the only means of discussion/trading for over 5000 players (aside from some piddly guild and alliance boards)? If you want to blame someone then blame GOA for their lack of discussion boards.

As for the donation issue, I doubt that even half of the DAoC dwellers are aware it exists. If you need the moolah that badly then make a pop-up or something so that casual browsers are made aware of the situation...and some may even donate. :-o

SilverHood

FH is my second home
make GOA pay for the bandwidth the GOA boards use? Or atleast make them contribute.

There was meant to be a patch this morning, so a lot of unhappy people I imagine... and where do unhappy DAOC players go? Yep, FH....

:D

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I think a public burning of all DAoC players is in order. Except Sissyfoo of course, and I don't count because I am a reformed DAoCer.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
All I want to know is, why are the forums going slower, and what can be done to rectify it?

Sar

Part of the furniture
Sissyfoo said:
Stop blaming the DAoCers for the lag problems because what the hell do you expect when these boards are providing the only means of discussion/trading for over 5000 players (aside from some piddly guild and alliance boards)?

If it's the hordes of DAoC players causing the slowdowns in the forum's running, then logically they are to blame.

FH is doing GOA a huge favour by allowing their players, en masse, to post here. I didn't suggest otherwise. In an ideal world, GOA should be contributing moolah to FH for bandwidth costs, but that's highly unlikely. When I played DAoC many moons ago, even then GOA were shit at support for their own paying players. So until something drastic happens, GOA have precisely no impetus to pick their collective fingers out of their French derrières.

Then again if more people contributed their £10 to FH then TtD and DBs et al could spend more money on bandwidth. And I can't see how people don't know about the contribution scheme, because after all, there's a great big bloody announcement at the top of each and every forum, pointing towards the donation page. It's even listed under the Miscellaneous section of every user's Control Panel!

:confused:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
10 seconds to load this page now.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Sar said:
If it's the hordes of DAoC players causing the slowdowns in the forum's running, then logically they are to blame.

FH is doing GOA a huge favour by allowing their players, en masse, to post here. I didn't suggest otherwise. In an ideal world, GOA should be contributing moolah to FH for bandwidth costs, but that's highly unlikely. When I played DAoC many moons ago, even then GOA were shit at support for their own paying players. So until something drastic happens, GOA have precisely no impetus to pick their collective fingers out of their French derrières.

Then again if more people contributed their £10 to FH then TtD and DBs et al could spend more money on bandwidth. And I can't see how people don't know about the contribution scheme, because after all, there's a great big bloody announcement at the top of each and every forum, pointing towards the donation page. It's even listed under the Miscellaneous section of every user's Control Panel!

:confused:

DAoC players are only indirectly to blame. It is hardly their fault that this is the only place that they can come to find out info or discuss the various aspects of the game. Its like blaming a dog who butchered a field full of bunny wunnies because it's owner let it off the leash on purpose and then turned a blind eye to what it was doing.

As for the announcements...yeeeeeaaah right! A piddly link on each page isn't going to do much good. I barely notice them most of the time and I highly doubt that the average DAoC player coming to gloat about opening a can of whoop ass on his enemies is going to stop and read the announcements. If FH is truely in dire straights then one of the super mods should make a sticky announcement at the top of each thread list saying so. A mere glance at the current announcements doesn't give me the impression that FH needs my moolah (even though I know they do). I mean, jeezy chreesy, the link to the subs page is right at the bottom of a lot of waffle from TtD (no offense :) ) and I bet that your average player isn't going to be interested in reading all of that and probably won't bother getting to the bottom. As for the CoC? Yawnsville. Nobody reads the rules anymore, daddio.

If hosting the DAoC forums is such a hassle then maybe FH should just close them, tell GOA to go fudge themselves and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Probably a bit more ranty than I intended but I am sick of being this forum's whipping boy. Blame the source of the problem for a change.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well then, if you know of the existance of the subs link, then why don't you use it? If you don't feel that they deserve your money, then perhaps you shouldn't have a right to 'whinge' about perceived wrongs against the DAOC community?

I genuinely hope that this speed issue is something at my end, and that the FH boards are fine, but I get the feeling that it isn't, and that its the large numbers of users who are slowing things down. That most of those users are housed here to give them a home (because their own game provider doesn't see fit to give them official forums), and that most of those users don't want to contribute, disappoints me.

Perhaps we should impose a quota on the number of posts that non-subscribing members can make. 2 a day should do it.

/rant over.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
It's a bit silly to suggest solutions without knowing where the problem lies.

Incidentally I have no problems loading up pages here.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Sissyfoo said:
As for the announcements...yeeeeeaaah right! A piddly link on each page isn't going to do much good.

It's not, it's an announcement - it's slightly more visible. It's more visible than any of the threads on each forum fgs.

Sissyfoo said:
If FH is truely in dire straights then one of the super mods should make a sticky announcement at the top of each thread list saying so.

But how would your average blind-as-a-bat DAoC-er see it? After all, it's "only a piddly little link"...

Sissyfoo said:
A mere glance at the current announcements doesn't give me the impression that FH needs my moolah (even though I know they do).

Are you serious?

Sissyfoo said:
If hosting the DAoC forums is such a hassle then maybe FH should just close them, tell GOA to go fudge themselves and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Maybe they should, as it appears that few DAoC-ers, yourself being a prime example, care little for the people or the place that their precious wibblings occupy.

Some gratitude eh?

Sissyfoo said:
Blame the source of the problem for a change.

I did.

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
Bandwidth isnt the issue, I can guess that much.
Need to wait for hrh to return to see if its hardware related or not. Possibly.
If it is hardware, we have several options available to us, but i'll not discuss those until we have something a bit more solid.
By the way, it really is a hobby now and hrh is starting a new job role and life is hectic for him right now, so patience is a virtue ;) (and a pre-requisite)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
He's had offers of help if it can be used :p

Edit: The server loads seem much higher than usual to me. Something probably just needs killing off & restarting on the box.

Sar

Part of the furniture
MYstIC G said:
He's had offers of help if it can be used :p

Edit: The server loads seem much higher than usual to me. Something probably just needs killing off...

*cough*the daoc-ers*cough*

;)

PS: Getting this quite a few times this morning:

Freddyshouse server box said:
There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Will

/bin/su
I think G is right, I think the SQL database is having issues. The error screen which pops up is a timeout while trying to contact the database.

*awaits Deebs, who will have a lot of error emails to delete without reading*

xane

Fledgling Freddie
TedTheDog said:
Bandwidth isnt the issue, I can guess that much.
Need to wait for hrh to return to see if its hardware related or not. Possibly.
If it is hardware, we have several options available to us, but i'll not discuss those until we have something a bit more solid.
By the way, it really is a hobby now and hrh is starting a new job role and life is hectic for him right now, so patience is a virtue ;) (and a pre-requisite)

Blimey, it sounds almost like the good old days, eh ?

BTW, if you are really strapped for cash then open up a "gold" membership :)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:24:19 GMT
Server: Apache
Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT
Last-Modified: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:24:19 GMT
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, private, post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Content-Encoding: gzip
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

gzip compression tends to kill CPU's. :p Although disabling would make things super slow for modem users.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sar said:
*cough*the daoc-ers*cough*

;)
Now now, nobody said that. And if things are getting worse the values have almost doubled now & obviously don't seem to want to be coming down any time soon :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom