Speed Cameras

pip

Banned
Safe distance all the time? you no i am a pro driver? hehe no joke:)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
MaCaBr3 said:
My onboard computer shows the exact speed which always 10% less then the speedometer.

i take it your on board CPU is some kind of navigation system?

if so, how do you know its correct? are you factoring in the delays for transmission to and from the GPS satellite, your CPU abilility to convert distances over time into speed (with data that is transfered from a sat in space) etc?
the only way your CPU is 100% accurate is if there is some sensor on your wheel and and something attached in proximity (like your wheel arch) which measures your wheels RPM and converts it on the fly (with a very small margin of delay) into readable speed.

Zede

Part of the furniture
tris- said:
in the end why does it matter why they are there? dont speed, dont pay a fine. regardless if you think your schumacher or what ever. or if you get caught, say its fair play and your own fault.

not you personally ofc, in general.

get a clue. of course it does, its to SAVE LIVES mr genius, not to line mr browns pockets.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Northern Ireland has next to zero static speed cameras

For many years, it had none.

More people died in road accidents every year in NI than were killed in all the bombs/shootings etc that were a result of the troubles.

I have ZERO, and I mean ZERO sympathy for people who complain about speed cameras

Don't want to pay a fine
Don't fucking speed

I'd rather arrive 30 mins late for an appointment
than 30 years early to my funeral

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
Love the people who say "omg speed cameras are distracting theres too much to pay attention to as it is!"

Hint: Fucking drive slower. It gives you more time to react and absorb information.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Golena said:
Simply put they are a crap system.

People simply drive at 50 until they see the camera then slam the brakes on drive through at 25 then straight back up to 50 again. Camera's outside schools would make some kind of sense to ensure people slowed down where there's likely to be children in the road, but since most of them are placed on roads where the chances of running over a pedestrian are actually fairly small then who cares.

It takes 2 days in an area before you know where every camera is.. They don't discorage people speeding in the slightest, they are simply there to tax money off people that stray 1 or 2 miles outside the limit accidentally. If you think that you need to be going 34 in a 30 zone to get flashed, your very wrong! They are actually more likely to get people traveling at the speed limit anyway, since they will tend not to slow down for them. The people speeding about at 40 will over break for camera's in general since they are actually paying attention to them and are therefore less likely to get flashed.

No you are wrong they are clibrated to flash at 34 in 30 zones to allow 10% difference on your speedo. So if you do a steady 30 you will not get flashed if your a mug that thinks ohh i can do 34 past that and be ok and do a steady 34 you deserve the ticket.

And thats why i think cameras should be moveable and be hidden away so people who know where they are and think they are fucking cleaver for doing 50 past a scholl and only slowing down for a speed camera will wither get caugh out and banned from driving or have to obey the speed limit.

And cameras do work with a new driver you get 6 points for a year 1 speeding ticket and you are 3 points from losing it you get caugh once you drive alot slower.

tris-

Zede said:
get a clue. of course it does, its to SAVE LIVES mr genius, not to line mr browns pockets.

you were arguing over the reason why we have them.
it doesnt really matter why they are there, just that they are. the government can tell you it saves lives and its upto you if you believe that.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
pip said:
It's not that hard mate? 10 mph =1st gear 20 mph = 2nd gear? 3rd mph = 30 mph ? 4th gear = 40 mph ? 5th gear = 50 mph ? unless it is fine tuned racing car?

I agree with you but this example is bollocks. I do not drive a finely tuned sports car, but generally 2 gear takes me to 35, 3rd to 55, 4th to 80,

I dont care whether or not the cameras are a money making scheme if you are dumb enough to get caught you deserve to pay the fine.

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
Lol, in Ireland (Republic) a while back there used to be around 5 camera location around the place, thing is we only had 1 camera, so it got rotated around the different places

soze

I am a FH squatter
If it was a money making thing it would work like america something like $60 and the x for every km over the limit. The fact you get points here should got to prove there not trying to milk your cash.

What so feckin hard about driving at the speed limit anyway.

tris-

soze said:
The fact you get points here should got to prove there not trying to milk your cash.

if its just about punishment theyd ONLY give points. they do infact charge you money aswell.

its here nor there tbh though. the cameras are there, the reason doesnt matter :p

soze

I am a FH squatter
tris- said:
if its just about punishment theyd ONLY give points. they do infact charge you money aswell.

its here nor there tbh though. the cameras are there, the reason doesnt matter :p
Yeah the cash gose towards processing the tickets and the rest wil now go back into the councils road safety fund. not the goverment.

And like they said on Top Gear the goverment makes more proffit on Simon Cowels tax than the do proffit on speed cameras.

But do you not think if the fine was £500 if you do not pay your car is impounded would make more people cautious. As lets face facts if you get caugh by a static camera your a moron so it must be mobile camers that get poeple?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You people do know that 3 out of 5, or somewhere round that ballpark, boxes are empty and have no cameras at all.

soze

I am a FH squatter
old.Tohtori said:
You people do know that 3 out of 5, or somewhere round that ballpark, boxes are empty and have no cameras at all.
I always thoguh that was a old urdan legend and people though that because only some had the film changed every week so people assumed that it was the cameras being swapped with other machines.

But i think now they are all digital there is not that problem.

But you never know

tris-

soze said:
I always thoguh that was a old urdan legend and people though that because only some had the film changed every week so people assumed that it was the cameras being swapped with other machines.

But i think now they are all digital there is not that problem.

But you never know

would of thought speed cams use some kind of CCD or video recording.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
would of thought speed cams use some kind of CCD or video recording.

you cant record in analogue now adays... just sooo bad

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would love cameras that sat a mile away from each other hidden and take a pic at the start of the mile and at the end then it figures time between and charges you on the average speed. And just move them all the time so people can't get used to where they are :p

tris-

soze said:
I would love cameras that sat a mile away from each other hidden and take a pic at the start of the mile and at the end then it figures time between and charges you on the average speed. And just move them all the time so people can't get used to where they are :p

i think there is a piece of road like this in or near doncaster that ive been round. except the cameras are static but im sure it measures the average speed

soze

I am a FH squatter
tris- said:
i think there is a piece of road like this in or near doncaster that ive been round. except the cameras are static but im sure it measures the average speed
Yeah i think its being trialed.

Can you imagine the chav boy racers will prolly still do 90 for .8 of a mile then pull over wiat the minute they speed for hen carry on

Bahumat

FH is my second home
The girl who says "if you hit me at 40 i'll die, but if you hit me at 30 there's a 80% chance i'll survive".

maybe im sick and twisted, but its like she's willing you to hit her at 30 :)

tris-

Bahumat said:
The girl who says "if you hit me at 40 i'll die, but if you hit me at 30 there's a 80% chance i'll survive".

maybe im sick and twisted, but its like she's willing you to hit her at 30 :)

that girls voice is fucking weird. sounds a bit like alice from the res evil films.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Speed cameras are a waste of time and so can only be seen as mainly a money making ploy.

The reason i state this is that they are located in areas they are not needed (hello speed camera's in underpasses) and also the limits arent realistic.

If im on the m25 at 4am and there no one else about. The ground is dry and the night is clear. I can safely drive at about 100mph (used to do it anyways :p) however this is not taken into account at all. Basically they view that you can drive 70mph safely when it pissing with rain/icey road and can only safely travel at 70mph in dry clear empty conditions... hmmm.. yeah right!

So what do camera's achieve. Well for a distance of about 20 yards people abide the speed limit. The rest of the time they dont. Only way to stop this is to use "Avg speed limit camera's" however they only really work on long stretches of road where people dont turn off (ie motorway roadworks)

And what is the money used for? Well probably to line someones pocket instead of being placed back into the criminal prevention.

Edit: Residential areas and accident hotspots need them, 50 mile straight stretch of motorway doesnt need them. Abide by limit in any residental areas more or less (time, conditions etc my mean i do slightly more but not much) but likely to speed on a motorway if it a stretch I know well and theres no camera's. Never had a speeding fine!

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
soze said:
Actually you have a problem with your car if your speedo is off like you have under inflated tyres or have changed the soze of your tyres. It is not normal for the speedo to be off.

But that is why speed camers trigger at 34 in a 30 zone 10% for the cars that have a problems

Wrong size tires can be a problem, a mate of mine got caught speeding, the bloke he'd bought the car off had fitted larger wheels, but hadn't got the speedo recalibrated, so he was doing more then the speedo said.

I used to work in a plant that made speedo's. They are essentially analogue devices, and aren't 100% accurate. Legally they can show up to 10% less than the actual car speed, but aren't allowed to show more. They tend therefore to aim for 95% of the actual car speed, with about a 3-4% variation from that.

Darzil

tris-

Darzil said:
I used to work in a plant that made speedo's. They are essentially analogue devices, and aren't 100% accurate. Legally they can show up to 10% less than the actual car speed, but aren't allowed to show more. They tend therefore to aim for 95% of the actual car speed, with about a 3-4% variation from that.

Darzil

do the speedos get calibrated individually or is the batch assumed to be correct from one test?

just interested in the process. the knowledge may come in handy in my future years ;)

Corran

Part of the furniture
pip said:
It's not that hard mate? 10 mph =1st gear 20 mph = 2nd gear? 3rd mph = 30 mph ? 4th gear = 40 mph ? 5th gear = 50 mph ? unless it is fine tuned racing car?

I wouldnt drive for 5minutes in 3rd gear at 30miles an hour. You get better fuel economy in a higher gear and if you do not need fast accelleration it best to go up an extra gear.

1st gear takes upto 0-20mph
2nd gear 10-30mph
3rd gear 25-50mph
4th gear 30-80mph
etc
etc

MaCaBr3

Banned
tris- said:
i take it your on board CPU is some kind of navigation system?

if so, how do you know its correct? are you factoring in the delays for transmission to and from the GPS satellite, your CPU abilility to convert distances over time into speed (with data that is transfered from a sat in space) etc?
the only way your CPU is 100% accurate is if there is some sensor on your wheel and and something attached in proximity (like your wheel arch) which measures your wheels RPM and converts it on the fly (with a very small margin of delay) into readable speed.

If the onboard computer would be a navigation system then I would call it the navagation system instead of an onboard computer...:touch:

soze

I am a FH squatter
Darzil said:
Wrong size tires can be a problem, a mate of mine got caught speeding, the bloke he'd bought the car off had fitted larger wheels, but hadn't got the speedo recalibrated, so he was doing more then the speedo said.

errm thats what i said if you change yor wheel size and fit the wrong tyres you can throw your speedo way out hence the coment about new wheels

And for everyone saying they trust there Tom Tom more than there speedo RTFM ;) TomTom say the speed indication on it is a rough guide that can change alot and be wrong.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Lets take camera's at lights as an example.

You drive through a red light, your a muppet and deserve to get fined and given points yeah?
Think this is fairly self explanitory, until..

Your at a set of red lights and an ambulance pulls up behind you lights flashing in a hurry to get past, there's nothing coming at the junction so what do you do. You sit there and block the emergency vehicle from going anywhere of course until the lights change, since if you go through to let him past, you get snapped, fined and given points.

Enforcing certain laws with no context as to the situation at the time, and therefore no common sense has always been stupid. Speed camera's are no different to that.
If police wanted to they could simply sit outside a school and pull over all the people rushing past dangerously in a morning, and do in fact do this. This makes sense.
Placing a static camera in the middle of a piece of road that isn't in a dangerous pedestrian crossing zone only makes people that are in a rush drive faster for the rest of the journey where they are likely to injure someone. It won't catch the speeders since they simply slow down for that 2 meters of tarmac. It will just infuriate them so they make it up by going faster for the next 20 meters to make back the time. You can argue till your blue in the face about if this is a sensible rational or how careless with other peoples lives they are being. The fact is that's what happens, whether you like it or not. If the camera's were at spots where people really needed to be going slowly then fair enough, but they arn't, so actually do much more harm than good.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
do the speedos get calibrated individually or is the batch assumed to be correct from one test?

just interested in the process. the knowledge may come in handy in my future years ;)

All speedos had an automatic test as part of the production process, and aren't released unless they passed. Calibration as such wasn't done, I believe.

Darzil

dumba_whoo

Fledgling Freddie
In some parts of my county they have average speed check cameras, yea there's no way you will be speeding with them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom