Speed Cameras

soze

I am a FH squatter
This was on the news yesterday people outraged that the government were allowed to but speed cameras in locations where the residents felt the road is dangerous.

Peoples big argument is speed cameras are just for making money I think that's bullshit as with every speeding fin you get point so do it 4 times you lose your licence. If they were just to make money there would be no points just a bill and people would not care so much like parking tickets.

I think the whole thing is amazing. Imagine bank robbers getting cameras in banks bad because they do not like the fact they got caught committing a crime. I think its ridiculous the government has not just said breaking the speed limit is against the law if you don't like the fine and points that come from getting caught by a speed camera don't fucking speed.

Its easy really they only reason you would have a problem with a speed camera is because you speed.

Amildin

Can't get enough of FH
If speed limits werent so ridiculously low i wouldnt speed. I go at a speed I feel necessary, if only everyone were as wise as me :(

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
soze said:
Its easy really the only reason you would have a problem with a speed camera is because you speed.
Or that you don't like Big Brother is watching you..

soze

I am a FH squatter
Amildin said:
If speed limits werent so ridiculously low i wouldnt speed. I go at a speed I feel necessary, if only everyone were as wise as me :(
Have you not seen the advert hit some one at 30 80% chance they live at 40 80% chance they die. I accept the little shit bags should avoid roads but thats why its 30!

CorNokZ said:
Or that you don't like Big Brother is watching you..
a still camera that only take a picture when you break the law is not big brother the xray cctv in london is but static camera erm nope

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I demand you remake this post in General :p they love speed.

Amildin

Can't get enough of FH
soze said:
Have you not seen the advert hit some one at 30 80% chance they live at 40 80% chance they die. I accept the little shit bags should avoid roads but thats why its 30!

Yea i agree 30 outside schools etc, but huge bloody roads in our city have speed limit of 30 where there are clear underpasses people can walk under, if they are stupid enough to not use them they deserve running over :england:

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Speed cameras around densely populated areas or schools - good.... but its also been proven, the first thing people do when they see a speed camera is to take there eyes off the road and focus on their speed, which is the last thing you should be doing near a school.

Speed cameras hidden in a bush at the bottom of a hill just around a corner - bad thing.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
my view is if you dont break the law you havent got anything to worry about.

you are offered the chance not to break the law (by not speeding) but you decide to do it anyway. tough tittys :p

Rub

One of Freddy's beloved
well I dont rly disagree with speed cameras and such, but I do find it stupid that the speed limit is so rediciously(sp?) low, and as Alan said speed cameras hidden in bushes is stupid also :x and there are so many things u need to think of/watch when driving
if the speed limit would be at a fair number, ppl wont whine that they got caught speeding

tris-

Rub said:
and there are so many things u need to think of/watch when driving

if there is so much to look out for what help will it be if you drive faster?

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
my view is if you dont break the law you havent got anything to worry about.

you are offered the chance not to break the law (by not speeding) but you decide to do it anyway. tough tittys :p

As mentioned above, you see a speed camera, you instantly take your eyes off the road for 5s and focus on the speedo - its habit - even if your not speeding you will still do it, during those 5 secs the car in front slams his brakes on as a kid has ran out - you plough into the back of him.

tris-

if it takes you 5 seconds to glance at a speedo, youve got more to worry about tbh :p

0.5-1 second max maybe. but 5? shit man, dread to think how long it takes you to break :)

and surely you could glance, then slow down. if youve been driving any amount of time you can tell if your speeding up from the sound of the engine.

enkor

Can't get enough of FH
Amildin said:

didnt you crash your car?

pip

Banned
Dam someone found speed camera that works? anyway 3rd gear ftw. put car in fourth in a 30 mph zone and get caught speeding quess what? TOUGH:wanker:

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Alan said:
As mentioned above, you see a speed camera, you instantly take your eyes off the road for 5s and focus on the speedo - its habit - even if your not speeding you will still do it, during those 5 secs the car in front slams his brakes on as a kid has ran out - you plough into the back of him.

Nope, I see a speed camera I concentrate on the car in front, which often brakes even at the speed limit. I know I'm not speeding, as I check my speed every so often with a very quick look.

I used to speed on Motorways, but quit after I got a car with a trip computer, and saw how much money I was losing. In that car, 85 mph used up about 35% more fuel per mile than 70 mph. Also found it more tiring.

I honestly don't believe people know what is safe, see so many vehicles going along the road at 70+ mph less than a car length apart. Front one breaks, one behind has no chance.

Round here we have no speed cameras, only speed bumps. Cue drivers accelerating to 40+ between bumps, then slamming on the breaks again.

My favourite speed camera story though has to be the idiot in front of me in stop start traffic moving an average of 10mph. He accelerated as fast as he could, then stamped on his breaks to avoid crashing into the car in front. Despite averaging 10mph, he managed to get flashed in a 30mph limit doing this !

Darzil

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, probably like in finland, speed cameras are just a scare as you can claim(easily i might add) that you werent driving.

In Finland they have to prove you were driving when a law was broken.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I do not agree that you need to look for 5 secs at speedo i can tell when im doing 30 by the sound of my car. And unless your the kind of person that dose 30 past a speed camera and then speeds up untill the next thing, you sould be able to maintain the speed while checking every now and then.

Alot of these people who moan about them are silly imo do the speed limit and your fine. Alot of accidents are caused by twats who only see the camera at the last second and slam there brakes on.

And why the hell should cameras be shown at the side of the road all that means is people will speed untill they see it and slow down. They should be able to be moved and put anywhere to force people to follow the speed limit not 50 untill the camera 30 past it 50 till the next one.

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
I was watching an old top gear the other week, when they had the uk transport minister on, he made a good point that, the location of the cameras are posted on the internet, there are big signs in the areas themselves, so if you get, its ur own fault, not saying its a perfect system, but he has a point

Litmus

Resident Freddy
I dont think speed cameras in general are there "just to make money" but in some cases they quite obviously are, i have seen many cameras in the middle of no where and there isnt a person with in a 5mile radius.

Also in my area i live near a main road(the A5) an on about a 1 mile stretch of road there is 1 camera which placed on a HILL looking downwards which is bs, there is also another one not far away which is also ther same. I can think of way better places they could of put the camera on that road, so why they decide to put it on a hill is beyond me.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Its to make money.

Where I live, the cameras are NOT placed just before accident hot spots ( best place eh ? ) but were they are mostly likely to get the most dosh.

And how much of these fines go back into the road system to make it better ?

Fuck all.

over and out.

tris-

Zede said:
Its to make money.

Where I live, the cameras are NOT placed just before accident hot spots ( best place eh ? ) but were they are mostly likely to get the most dosh.

Fuck all.

over and out.

in the end why does it matter why they are there? dont speed, dont pay a fine. regardless if you think your schumacher or what ever. or if you get caught, say its fair play and your own fault.

not you personally ofc, in general.

Devilseye

Fledgling Freddie
wish Speed-o-meters were more reliable..

in my moms Audi 80 i have to drive 135ish to drive 120 @ GPS speed (tom tom navigator)

in my Audi A3. i also have to drive faster than my speed-o-meter tells me to drive 120.

Theres lots of ppl who think their already @ 120kmh. while my GPS shows their only doing 110. if not less

Maybe to save fuel. could be aswell. but i hate driving for example 70 when the max speed @ that road is 80, ppl are scared of speed camera's :p

and yes i do speed sometimes, if i get a ticket.. well.. shit happens.
but mostly my TomTom tells me way ahead theres a speedcam in coming :p

soze

I am a FH squatter
Zede said:
Its to make money.

Fuck all.

over and out.
How are they to make money when every one who speeds can only do it 4 times then they are not allowed to drive any more!

If you did not get points but just a big fine i would say yeah money maker as is that a load of crap spouted by poeple who can't drive at the speed limit

Devilseye said:
Dose it tell you when there is an accident and your about to hit some one up the arse doing over the speed limit or when a kids about to run into the run and your gonna run him over while speeding?

pip

Banned
Devilseye said:
wish Speed-o-meters were more reliable..

in my moms Audi 80 i have to drive 135ish to drive 120 @ GPS speed (tom tom navigator)

in my Audi A3. i also have to drive faster than my speed-o-meter tells me to drive 120.

Theres lots of ppl who think their already @ 120kmh. while my GPS shows their only doing 110. if not less

Maybe to save fuel. could be aswell. but i hate driving for example 70 when the max speed @ that road is 80, ppl are scared of speed camera's :p

and yes i do speed sometimes, if i get a ticket.. well.. shit happens.
It's not that hard mate? 10 mph =1st gear 20 mph = 2nd gear? 3rd mph = 30 mph ? 4th gear = 40 mph ? 5th gear = 50 mph ? unless it is fine tuned racing car?

soze

I am a FH squatter
pip said:
It's not that hard mate? 10 mph =1st gear 20 mph = 2nd gear? 3rd mph = 30 mph ? 4th gear = 40 mph ? 5th gear = 50 mph ? unless it is fine tuned racing car?
That works unless your a twat that thinks driving your car as fast as possible makes you great

pip

Banned
soze said:
That works unless your a twat that thinks driving your car as fast as possible makes you great
Ye kid boy racer put it in thrid gear and stick foot to floor kill the engine lol

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Amildin said:

you would say that... thats your pov, and your not going to admit your wrong

MaCaBr3

Banned
Most speedometers(unless you have a modern car) have a 10% difference with the aqual speed you are driving. My onboard computer shows the exact speed which always 10% less then the speedometer.

I'm a speedfreak, but I never drive crazy in towns or populated areas, if I speed I do it on the highway or in Germany where there are no speed limits. It's a rush to drive 245 km/h on a highway when everyone is doing it :p

soze

I am a FH squatter
MaCaBr3 said:
Most speedometers(unless you have a modern car) have a 10% difference with the aqual speed you are driving. My onboard computer shows the exact speed which always 10% less then the speedometer.

I'm a speedfreak, but I never drive crazy in towns or populated areas, if I speed I do it on the highway or in Germany where there are no speed limits. It's a rush to drive 245 km/h on a highway when everyone is doing it :p
Actually you have a problem with your car if your speedo is off like you have under inflated tyres or have changed the soze of your tyres. It is not normal for the speedo to be off.

But that is why speed camers trigger at 34 in a 30 zone 10% for the cars that have a problems

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Simply put they are a crap system.

People simply drive at 50 until they see the camera then slam the brakes on drive through at 25 then straight back up to 50 again. Camera's outside schools would make some kind of sense to ensure people slowed down where there's likely to be children in the road, but since most of them are placed on roads where the chances of running over a pedestrian are actually fairly small then who cares.

It takes 2 days in an area before you know where every camera is.. They don't discorage people speeding in the slightest, they are simply there to tax money off people that stray 1 or 2 miles outside the limit accidentally. If you think that you need to be going 34 in a 30 zone to get flashed, your very wrong! They are actually more likely to get people traveling at the speed limit anyway, since they will tend not to slow down for them. The people speeding about at 40 will over break for camera's in general since they are actually paying attention to them and are therefore less likely to get flashed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom