Spdif

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I have a Shuttle XPC SN41G2 (nForce2) SFF PC which has an SPDIF port on the front, I have learnt that this port is actually input only on the AMD based XPCs.

My step-son is planning on getting a Digital Recording Studio, and would like the transfer recordings to the PC, however, there is no Firewire or USB interface to speak of and we have been told it is possible to use the MIDI or SPDIF ports instead.

Now, based on my limited knowledge of these kind of ports, I assume you'd simply use the Recording Studio to play out from its SPDIF port and input to the XPC, but how is the information taken into the PC, through Sound Recorder or something ?

Anyone who has any experience of using SPDIF ports in this way care to broaden my knowledge ?

Also what kind of cable is needed, I assume a fibre optic one, and what prices are they ?

TIA

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
You'll need software that can record via the spdif port, any of the main packages Logic, PT (LE), or Neundo will be able to handle it along with some of the more hobbiest packages like Cakewalk or Sound Forge.

Be aware that there are varying formats and your Digi Studio may not support the format you'll need. The Spdif input will be expecting IEC60958 type 1, but some hardware allows the output of IEC60958 type 2 (also called AES/EBU) on Spdif. Check that your Digi studio supports the first type.

As for the cable it depends on what sort of connection you have on both ends. SPdif can use either digital RCA: which looks exactly like the standard audio RCA cable; Toslink, which is a small plastic square, diagonal corners on the top with a tiny prong; or mini Toslink which is just a small prong. Converting between the two toslink sizes isn't a problem but going between digital RCA and Toslink requires a converter box.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Ta Scoob, what about Acid ?

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
I've not used Acid so I have no idea if it supports Spdif. I'd imagine that it does, but don't quote me on it until I can find out either way.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
If I think nforce works like I think it does you can use the spdif to record to anything you like, as the nforce control panel allows you to select it as a recording source. Hence piping it as a line in to anything you like.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Scooba da Bass said:
. The Spdif input will be expecting IEC60958 type 1, but some hardware allows the output of IEC60958 type 2 (also called AES/EBU)

Really? The digital mixing desk we were playing with at uni t'other day had AES/EBU outputs and they're massive connector jobbies.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
RandomBastard said:
Really? The digital mixing desk we were playing with at uni t'other day had AES/EBU outputs and they're massive connector jobbies.

Those are the standard connectors, but like I said some hardware will let you use an unbalanced connection. It's not recomended but occasionally it comes in handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom