Spanish servers, the end of Excal & Pryd?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
scorge said:
spanish servers will not be the end of Excal and Pry, they will definetly take a proportion of the player base with them. Unfortunetly GOA are doing very little
(or it seems they are doing very little) in recruiting new players to excalibur.

Mythic are not helping either, i cant remember seeing Matt Firor at a UK DAOC gathering like the french "le Monde du Jeu"? why is that? is it because Mythic is not bothered about the English servers, maybe because we are not the cash cow french and German servers are?

le Monde du Jeu is a big gaming convention, the UK gatherings have been a pub get together ;)

I think if you get enough people you could probably invite a Mythic person and they'd send someone over (pretty sure sanya said something about over 100 or over 200 people and they'll send someone - now she was meaning US gatherings but I'd imagine they'd go to a UK gathering if there were that many coming)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Oldleaf said:
Why did GOA started the game in multi language anyway? English is the universal language and the problem of not be abled to play all three realms was solved from the beginning, besides that the server population was more balanced to i think. What will be next?, A Dutch or Belgium server with 100 ppl online at prime time?

damn those german film makers! why do they make films in german!

And someone shoot Rammstein, imagine making songs with german lyrics - that's just not right! they should sing in english like everyone else.

Oh and that bloody french film industry - french with english subtitles?! bollocks to that, get learning english you lot, none of this language of love nonsense either.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
le Monde du Jeu is a big gaming convention, the UK gatherings have been a pub get together ;)

i have no problem with that Matt firor can buy me a drink for paying his wages :clap:

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Le Monde du Jeu had nothing to do with DAOC. It's a game convention that was a conveniant location for GOA to promote the (french) version of DAOC. (Like there is the E3 in the USA and the Spielen in Essen.)

The pub meeting was something unofficial anyway. Noone there to convert.

ANY new server added to the game is a bad thing, and that includes a Coop one.

Bloodhunter

Banned
pfft lol, having De ja vu, remember threads like "TOA, End of daco!!? " etc...

stop making retarded threds like this.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
Le Monde du Jeu had nothing to do with DAOC. It's a game convention that was a conveniant location for GOA to promote the (french) version of DAOC. (Like there is the E3 in the USA and the Spielen in Essen.)

Umm so they decide that the UK gaming conventons were not a good way to promote DAOC?

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
I dunno if there are English gaming conventions. The example with the pub was NOT a convention, just a players-get-together. If there are any decent sized English gaming conventions, I'm sure GOA would go there.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
i got my friend into daoc rescently, and i was suprised at the number of lowbie grps running about, i gave him a full set DF for xpin and a set of sc'd gear for when he dinged 24 in case he couldnt find grps.

He managed to get from 1-24 and got into the bg's and loved them.

Now hes 28 looking forward to lvl 30 to take a run round the bg, lets hope they are still active.

But shows that it is possible to get through the levels, given he is an exception as i am geting him sets of armour to make things easier, but there are grps out there (even tho there are nowhere as near as many as there were pre-/lvl and the bb era).

But i have been quite cruel in a sence that i didnt tell him that he could use /lvl to get to 20 (he plays on my bb acc since i cant dual log atm), but i wanted him to get used to the game 1st.

There are a few new people about now, but well just have to see if they get through the toa grind

Skilgannon

Fledgling Freddie
My only concern is with patching. We are currently so far behind US because of translating into German and French. With translations into Spanish requiring additional time, resource and testing then patches will be further delayed.

If it adds to the testing time then I feel each language must be treated seperately and patched seperately, even if that means Excal/Pryd being almost inline with US and the rest 6 months behind.

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
Skilgannon said:
My only concern is with patching. We are currently so far behind US because of translating into German and French. With translations into Spanish requiring additional time, resource and testing then patches will be further delayed.

If it adds to the testing time then I feel each language must be treated seperately and patched seperately, even if that means Excal/Pryd being almost inline with US and the rest 6 months behind.

Ditto, opening a Spanish server will add delays for the rest of us, each country should be treated seperatley. But overall, I don't see why DAOC has to be localised to countries, especially when most of Europe belong to the EU, feels like a step backwards. An appeal of DAOC and Excalibur is the mix of nationalities on the same server.

Mairghead

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
I dunno if there are English gaming conventions. The example with the pub was NOT a convention, just a players-get-together. If there are any decent sized English gaming conventions, I'm sure GOA would go there.

Although Germany in particular has a much better developed gaming community than the UK, the UK gaming convention community is still alive and reasonably well. There are some gaming conventions that range from those dealing solely with board games and pen/paper rpgs through to those covering freeform roleplaying and computer gaming. I haven't been to UK Gencon in the last couple of years and I did hear that its content may have changed a bit in that time, but it used to be case that it incorporated just about anything that could claim to be game-related. That's just one example.

You'd hope that the people responsible for UK marketing and distribution would either be aware of appropriately exploitable events or at least would be interested in finding out about them. Then again, this would mean that they'd have to ...well...market...and stuff like that. :(

ShivaW

Fledgling Freddie
I think it not gonna effect exal & pry population, ppl like me have a lot account and play ine excal server with alot lvl 50 and equiped char, not gonna move to other and start new one with out money, weapon, armor, maybe any new spanish player gonna join the spanish server, but I think the old player not gonna move

after all if any old player, want move to new realm, they already does it on pry server, so havent reason to join another one new server

PD: sorry about my sux english :p

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Secondary players (Those that have 'mains' on another server) are of little real use to that server, as they will not be there when they're really needed - say, for ToA raids and whatnot, because they'll be playing their mains when such things occur. People don't seem to realise that most players have only ONE main server.

You simply can't be as dedicated to multiple servers as you can be to one, it's as simple as that.

You see the same thing happening after each expansion - everyone moves back to their 'main' server to play it, and the servers that were benefitting from these tourists become ghost towns, until such time that those players get bored again and start to wander.

In a sense Mythic is already keeping that in mind with Catacombs.. It will not be a zerg heavy expansion, so even nearly dead servers will get some joy out of it. But New Frontiers? Time will tell. It will either help Prydwin of finish it off once and for good.

Sabu

Fledgling Freddie
Germany, France, Italy, Spain... Spain is the 5th country talking about population in the European Union, lot of spanish players in multiplayer games so prolly the spanish server/servers will work quite well w/o affecting EXc-Pryd imo.

I have been checking servers population and Sunday for exemple there were 22k players online:

3k from Excalibur+Prydwen+Camlann
18k from Germany+France
so talking about money prolly not a bad idea the national servers thing.

New players will join Daoc in Spain and maybe they want to try a second sever for testing other realms like lot of us did in the past, these servers prolly will be Exc or Pryd.
So i don´t really think Excalibur and Prydwen will be affected by this and more players will join the Daoc comunity.

Nyssa

Fledgling Freddie
I'm just going to stick to original post :)

Spanish servers won't work and die pretty soon imo.

However, give pre-Si/Toa spanish servers and even I will move! ;)

Taardad

Fledgling Freddie
Well about distribution. Here in Belgium every store has some kind of version of Daoc. Most even have all special looking editions. It's mostly the only MMO in store besides EQ and Horizons but that last one has had some serious problems :fluffle:

Uliea

Fledgling Freddie
I offered a small scale ToA online service when it was released in Europe earlier this year. It went really well and i plan on offering the same again for Catacombs. All i basically did was give out my shop phone number, anyone who was interested phoned me and gave me their card details. Once the payment had gone through i e-mailed the CD key/s and the exe file to allow people to dl the whole expansion from GOA. I then sent out hte cd's by post a couple of days later. This helped ppl who were let down or couldn't get hold of a copy quickly.
I think the people were happy with me, Flimgoblin was one of them, maybe he could put in a good word later. :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Uliea said:
I offered a small scale ToA online service when it was released in Europe earlier this year. It went really well and i plan on offering the same again for Catacombs. All i basically did was give out my shop phone number, anyone who was interested phoned me and gave me their card details. Once the payment had gone through i e-mailed the CD key/s and the exe file to allow people to dl the whole expansion from GOA. I then sent out hte cd's by post a couple of days later. This helped ppl who were let down or couldn't get hold of a copy quickly.
I think the people were happy with me, Flimgoblin was one of them, maybe he could put in a good word later. :)

He tricked me and stole my half of the 100 billion dollars we extorted from the world bank...

or maybe I dreamt that....

Seriously though, nice bloke :) bought a copy (or was it two?) over the phone, got the CD keys moments later, was happily gloating on my /gu about being in ToA already not long after.

Uliea

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
He tricked me and stole my half of the 100 billion dollars we extorted from the world bank...

or maybe I dreamt that....

Seriously though, nice bloke :) bought a copy (or was it two?) over the phone, got the CD keys moments later, was happily gloating on my /gu about being in ToA already not long after.

Yea you had two off me. I tried to take your money, but you had bugger all in there ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom