Spanish servers, the end of Excal & Pryd?

Ovi1

Fledgling Freddie
Excal used to be a busy server, now it has less than 2000 on most nights, whilst prydwen manages just over 1000.

Both numbers are shrinking all the time, and now they plan to release Spanish servers surely this will reduce the numbers even more :(

Maybe it's time Mythic/GoA let us know what the plans are for UK, I can see the following options ...

• Merge Excal & Pryd, maybe adding a coop server to convince us we still can play all 3 realms...
  • Let us transfer to the US servers, at a cost no doubt ...
  • Market the game properly in the UK, we all know this option is unlikely ...

Not sure about other servers/realms, but Hib/Pryd is losing people all the time already the lowest pop realm on the lowest pop English server I can see lots of others disappearing once the novelty of NF wears off, and to add spanish server just seems like the proverbial straw.

Anyone else feel the same? Or is it just me being pessimistic?

Narzeja

Loyal Freddie
/slap GoA

I wish they would make all servers english and make language files clientside.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
I don't think it's possible to merge both excal and prydwen since many ppl got chars on both they don't want to lose. I've put down alot of time and money on both servers on different realms and I sure don't wanna give my chars up.

To let ppl transfer to the US sounds like terrible option, then there will be even less players left since all are gonna like to do that and I don't think GOA will like to lose their customers.

I don't see any solution to the problem but then again it's not my job to do so.

remi

Fledgling Freddie
dont think many spanish guys who got a lvl50 and toad char will move tbh, i know if there was a server in my language, i wouldnt move.

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
remi said:
dont think many spanish guys who got a lvl50 and toad char will move tbh, i know if there was a server in my language, i wouldnt move.
amen!

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
remi said:

Very very true

Those servers are bound to shink in no time

Khazar

Fledgling Freddie
i wont move from excal & pryd tho, but it will be a 3rd server for me where i can make hib again!! :clap:

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
If they got 10,000 copies of Classic+SI+ToA into UK shops tomorrow I can guarantee they would have at least 6,000 new players within 2 months. Its not even a case of marketting, its just supply and demand.

<Wayne's World 2>

If you stock them, they will sell!

</Wayne's World 2>

They say they have licence problems with their distributors, and damn sure they have problems with them - they need to sack them and get decent ones.

I went to Canada this summer and 90% of the computer stores had at least one copy of daoc - why can't it be like this in Europe?

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Ovi1 said:
Excal used to be a busy server, now it has less than 2000 on most nights, whilst prydwen manages just over 1000.

Both numbers are shrinking all the time, and now they plan to release Spanish servers surely this will reduce the numbers even more?
Eh? Before gorre opened up there was more than 2000+ on every night on excal.
Once it closes again the numbers will be back to normal.
I doubt it'll have much if any effect on the server population, unless ofc they introduce a /charc copy for thoes that wish to move.

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
The spanish people who wanted to play the game already are or have.

Sounds like something similar of what happened with the italian servers will happen with the spanish.

Plus two huge mmos out around the holidays well before the spanish daoc servers and will probably drag many people into the new games.

Adios
Eso

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Naetha said:
If they got 10,000 copies of Classic+SI+ToA into UK shops tomorrow I can guarantee they would have at least 6,000 new players within 2 months. Its not even a case of marketting, its just supply and demand.

<Wayne's World 2>

If you stock them, they will sell!

</Wayne's World 2>

They say they have licence problems with their distributors, and damn sure they have problems with them - they need to sack them and get decent ones.

I went to Canada this summer and 90% of the computer stores had at least one copy of daoc - why can't it be like this in Europe?

sad thing is, I can imagine how it would be for a new player logging in for the first time, there isnt much ppl around playing the lowbiestuff anymore sadly.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Ovi1 said:
  • Merge Excal & Pryd, maybe adding a coop server to convince us we still can play all 3 realms...
  • Let us transfer to the US servers, at a cost no doubt ...
  • Market the game properly in the UK, we all know this option is unlikely ...
In my opinion, people will come back with NF - last a few months then realise the novalty has worn off.

The key thing is distribution of the game, naetha summed it up perfectly - the current distribution is a pile of crap there hasnt been a boxed copy in the shops since release - I went into all the computer shops i could find two years ago to buy this game for a friend and nowhere had them... and this was in Reading, not some crummy back street village.

However, with the new generation of MMORPGS comming out its gona be hard, DAOC has the RvR side of things which pretty much beats any other game if thats what your after - but so what... if you never see or know about the game..

Distribution and advertising of DAOC in the UK has pretty much sucked ass since release, and that has been the downfall of the game and will seal its grave people slowly move on.

If theres any chance for DAOC in the uk - change the shit distribution.

emma

Loyal Freddie
Its not the demand, there isnt one. My flat m8 runs a game store and has 3 copies of DAoC + expansion packs in stock, has done for months now, no one is interested. This could be down to several things though.

1. No one is interested in DAoC
2. No one new knows about it.

The latter being the most likely scenario. Lack of advertising in the UK has really hampered the number of new players to the english servers. Prydwen's population has been very low recently (Gorre helped with that), come NF's release, prydwen's gonna have some very boring RvR with its population size.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I've never seen any form of advertising for DAoC in my area of the UK, I think most people like myself got into the game through word of mouth, which really isn't enough to keep a MMORPG game growing and active with population.

When I started, there was only a few copies of DAoC in shops, but from then each expansion I've had to buy online as the local shops don't seem to have any.

But at least their shouldn't be server crashes on rr's etc with lower population. ;)

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
m8's, in Denmark almost all shops have a copy, thats where i bought mine recently as a new player, and my friends the same...

In your country it might be hard to get a game, but it is for surely not in Denmark, and the game still attracts new people, just look at me.

To be honest (and ive tried them all), DAoC is the best game out there right now, and will be for quite a while unless you are some Warcraft freak (game sux btw, gl with it).

Anyways back on topic, Spanish servers, who cares.

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
The UK Daoc population player base is mature many have or are thinking about moving on.

Sure population is about 10% lower than on release but buff bots were not out then. Many people I know actually have 3 accounts now. When these people leave the game the population won't just fall a little it will dive because of the amount of accounts the average player owns.

NF looks like it might be fun and probably will be but its not enough to hold the old generation of which many have moved on and there are not many if in fact any new people playing.

If someone just picks up the game as a chance item they are in for a miserable time levelling.

There are magazine adverts for WoW and EQ2 all over the place. One WoW advert I know of was wacked in the middle of an EQ2 preview which I find mildly amusing. Also other fun looking mmo's are on their way.

It seems to me that they are trying to expand their playerbase by opening up into different territory. This should have been done on release as I said previously anyone who wanted to play the game in a foreign country already are or have. Tbh I am pleased they didnt release these servers as I have met some very interesting and nice people because they only play on the UK servers.

GOA remind me of many companies who are making ditched attempts at increasing customer numbers through opening up in different territory but then ignore or sideline current geographical areas.

DAoC in my opinion is in trouble and its not only due to the new big blockbuster mmos. It is because people are just quitting due to sheer boredom and there is not a new playerbase ready to take over where the old ones left off.

I know that WoW has many extremely interesting features that will keep people entertained, however unless blizzard look after their playerbase, market their game efficiently and pop other business tools into place they will not turnover new customers. The game playing timesink that is affecting DAoC will affect it as well.

This post is too long for me now and I have better things to be doing.

Adios amigos.

Eso

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Look at it like this; the players who are leaving, are either leaving the whole MMORPG scene altogether, or are just bored of DAoC. Now, these people usually play month after month year after year without taking a long serious break.

Speaking for myself, yeah, I probably would've 'stopped' a long time ago if I didn't take a 1.5 month break every 4 months.

Now, I think that those people may switch to World of Warcraft or EQ2, but will either move back to DAoC after 3 months or leave the MMORPG scene altogether.

The only thing that needs to happen is a healthy influx of new players. Preferably players who hail from another MMORPG. A digital content management system could help with this, but Mythic's contract with the publishers doesn't allow this. Alternatively (and probably the only option) is to make sure that the major shops in the UK, The Netherlands and Scandinavia (the dutch people don't play localized games, much like the Swedes I think) have a DAoC Classic+SI pack and the ToA add-on stocked while a decent campaign hits these countries.

Markk

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah incredibly hard to find a copy in the UK, have to get everything from amazon and there most unrealible bastards ever, and yeah, ive been playing this game for 2½ years my brothers been playing for 3 years and i know for a fact that both of us are just getting bored. I mean, i used to get this adrenaline rush(probably because i was 11 when i started playing xD) from logging on and playing, knowing that there were new places to see. but now i log and think ah ffs now too just sit here and try and get artifacts.

It all started when they introduced /level. I dont know if this was introduced due to customer demand, but by putting this in the game, they have made it even harder for new players to get into the game. There is no one new to group with at low levels and it just makes it harder for new players to get into the game.

soz for being a little off-topic but this is just my opinion :(

Grimmen

Fledgling Freddie
tbh, doesnt matter if you are under or above lvl 20 its till hard as hell to find XP grps, because either players allready have all the lvl 50s they want and if they want another one they either PL it in Moderna themselfs or they pay someone to do it.

Only times you can find XP grps easily is lvl 20-24 in Vendo Caves when everyone is leveling their Thidranki toon to 24.

I find this depressing being a guy that actually enjoys both RvR and PvE. PvE is fun because its alot more relaxed and less serious than RvR usually is and you actually get a chance to get to know ppl. RvR just simply fun because its fun ganking other players :p :)

Press the "Find" button at peak times and see how many ppl actually are looking for grps and even better how many grps that are looking for ppl to XP with. Its safe to say I can count both parts on one of my hands.

Well this was my 2c.

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
agree with Grimmen, daoc sucks for new players with no groups around except 20-24 dungeons, and when u finally ding 50 u have to toa u char to be able to compete and thats even more time then get a toon to 50.
When there only was daoc+si i saw and spoke to new players almost every day, nowadays i barely see any around and those few new prolly will quit after there free month due to the boredom of soloing.

Daoc was just killed by Toa.

Pihls PW Guildmaster

Loyal Freddie
The advertising and the lack of client copy for daoc
is scary in Sweden.

the shops generaly is trying to get hold of cleints but from retail the client dont even exist on the list ( you know shops cant order something who isnt listed from there retailers who they buy the game from.)

if we compare the daoc advertising and other mmorpg out there you see
swg, horizon and (WOW ,EQ2 boxed for pre orders). advertising + the got the game/cleints on the shells

Daoc you can see once in a while as US boxed old version ( not TOA or SI version) just the first box ditched into a corner.

Spanish servers hehe well they go the same way as the italian servers.

- comment from a salesman O is that still playable I thought it was dead.

soo if not GOA/wannado wake up it will be the death of daoc europe soon.

Zenn

Fledgling Freddie
Are the American servers still "full" and can i access them from the uk? or do i need an american credit card...

emma

Loyal Freddie
Oboy said:
agree with Grimmen, daoc sucks for new players with no groups around except 20-24 dungeons, and when u finally ding 50 u have to toa u char to be able to compete and thats even more time then get a toon to 50.
When there only was daoc+si i saw and spoke to new players almost every day, nowadays i barely see any around and those few new prolly will quit after there free month due to the boredom of soloing.

Daoc was just killed by Toa.
ToA'ing a char speeds up in 1.71 where they remove the specifics for artifact XP (ie kill xxx type of mob.) instead they change it to "kill anything in xxxx zone" that and along side the massive xp boost from RvR kills means you get the choice of gaining experience for your artifact via PvE or RvR. both equally as fast.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
not everyone in spain wants to play DAoC wants to play it on an english language server...

we have german and french people playing on the english servers - why should a spanish server make all the spanish players on excal/pryd move?

what it will do is get a load of spanish players that otherwise wouldn't bother with the game to play.

Hiring new translators/buying new servers etc. is an expensive business - doubt GOA would be going into it if they didn't think there was a good chance at it succeeding and attracting new spanish players. And I doubt they'd try it if they thought it's severely undermine their existing business. I imagine they'll have done research and concluded that it's a market worth expanding into.

Icebreaker

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
not everyone in spain wants to play DAoC wants to play it on an english language server...

we have german and french people playing on the english servers - why should a spanish server make all the spanish players on excal/pryd move?

what it will do is get a load of spanish players that otherwise wouldn't bother with the game to play.

Hiring new translators/buying new servers etc. is an expensive business - doubt GOA would be going into it if they didn't think there was a good chance at it succeeding and attracting new spanish players. And I doubt they'd try it if they thought it's severely undermine their existing business. I imagine they'll have done research and concluded that it's a market worth expanding into.

Yip yip, iam German and i don't play on the German Servers. xD
And i know alot more Germans who play on the English Servers and don't move!!!!!111

Will be the same with our spanish Honks. Maybe some play on it for a while to try out another Realm or something but it won't affect Excaliburs Population.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Tears said:
The key thing is distribution of the game, naetha summed it up perfectly - the current distribution is a pile of crap there hasnt been a boxed copy in the shops since release - I went into all the computer shops i could find two years ago to buy this game for a friend and nowhere had them... and this was in Reading, not some crummy back street village.

However, with the new generation of MMORPGS comming out its gona be hard, DAOC has the RvR side of things which pretty much beats any other game if thats what your after - but so what... if you never see or know about the game..

Distribution and advertising of DAOC in the UK has pretty much sucked ass since release, and that has been the downfall of the game and will seal its grave people slowly move on.

If theres any chance for DAOC in the uk - change the shit distribution.
Well tbh, If we take a look at the other mmorpg's and the way they are distrubuted they arn't that diffrent. Taking the store I work in for example, We've had copies of TOA, the tri pack and SI sat on the shelf for months. Unfortunatly MMorpgs are still a niche market when it comes to the average gamer. SWG for example is nigh on impossible to get hold of atm, even if I do think its a pile of shit. Even the new ones that are approching (WoW etc) will go exactly down the same path. If theres enough hype then we might sell a few copies, then the remainder will sit and sit there for months, maybe selling the odd copy every other month. There just isn't enough space on the shelves to keep something on there that hardly ever sells.
But the root of the problem is the fact that there is pretty much 0 advertisment for the game. No tv adverts, No radio adverts, once in a blue moon you'll see it mentioned in passing on a game article. No in store advertising. If you want more copies in shops then you need to promote the game better, that really is the bottom line.

Zenn

Fledgling Freddie
Just a thought.... Wouldn't it be easier if you could buy a cd key from the website and just download the game aswell as being sold in shops... :eek7:

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Zenn said:
Just a thought.... Wouldn't it be easier if you could buy a cd key from the website and just download the game aswell as being sold in shops... :eek7:

It's only Mythic who can decide about that. Basicaly, GOA = Europe and Mythic = the rest of the world. Selling CD KEY on the net means that GOA would be in competition with Mythic in the 'rest of world' market (especially on the latin America market if they launch Spanish servers). And one doesn't need to get a Nobel Price in Economy to understand that companies hate competition.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Pihls PW Guildmaster said:
in Sweden.

Daoc you can see once in a while as US boxed old version ( not TOA or SI version) just the first box ditched into a corner.
I've bought like 4 classic+si+toa games, 2 classic, 2 si, 2 toa in Stockholm without and problem at all finding the game, have friends who have bought several and I see it alot in the main city and suburbs. I don't think there is any supply problems ^^

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
I think you're all missing the point. No-one will join a Spanish server it'll be all smite clerics abd 2h pallies :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom