Games Sony Conference

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've only had one dodgy card and that was an nvidia so... pointless argument/discussion. Not had a single AMD-related problem since as far back as I can remember (K6-2 CPU if memory serves).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
All of the crap/misbehaving graphics cards I have ever owned were AMD - I will never buy another thing by them.
Oh come on. PC graphics and drivers are completely different from a console graphics and the drivers. You have a choice of what to fuckup, the console people do not. FWIW, my AMD in my rig has been rock solid for 3 years (my last upgrade).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
8 netbook cores - hmm - you would probably get better performance from 4 or even 2 desktop cores than that.

I didnt think many games make much use of multithreading even now?
Sigh. Console developers do NOT think about PC's. They are used to multi-threading their code to maximise the hardware. Stop thinking so 1990's.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
The "OMG IT'S A PC" argument annoys me. Really does.

Chilly

Balls of steel
8 netbook cores - hmm - you would probably get better performance from 4 or even 2 desktop cores than that.

I didnt think many games make much use of multithreading even now?
You'd get fired if you couldnt write multi-threaded code in a high end game studio these days. There's very very few things that don't parallelise within game devlopment. A lot of the problems you face are trivially split up. High frequency CPUs are less energy efficient in terms of flops/watt, as well, so this arhcitecture lends itself to being "green" which I'm sure their marketing machine will play up at some point. I suspect the PS3 will be the most power hungry console ever to exist. The first gen, anyway.

Also, GPUs are actually large clusters of low frequency CPUs. Several hundred, normally, running at <700Mhz even in an ultra top of the line card today.

rynnor

Rockhound
High frequency CPUs are less energy efficient in terms of flops/watt, as well, so this arhcitecture lends itself to being "green" which I'm sure their marketing machine will play up at some point.

I think its more about low temperatures so potentially quieter maybe even passive cooling.

One thing about this spec is the lack of future proofing - I wonder if they have taken a decision to churn out new generations more regularly going forwards?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Only graphics card I ever had issues with was an AMD, enough to put me off. Driver issues as well after I got the card replaced. That was back in 2004, still enough to put me off. Their support was shit and when I did finally get to speak to someone they were bloody clueless. Have bought Nvidia ever since.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Only graphics card I ever had issues with was an Nvidia, enough to put me off. Driver issues as well after I got the card replaced. Have bought amd ever since.

rynnor

Rockhound
Lethul said:
Only graphics card I ever had issues with was an Nvidia, enough to put me off. Driver issues as well after I got the card replaced. Have bought amd ever since.

Ooo Fanboy!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Here's the thing with that PC that destroys the console argument, PC games have stagnated so much in recent years simply due to the consoles being the dominant platforms for gaming, when was the last PC exclusive that literally blew the socks off everyone? I honestly can't remember because its been so fucking long.

Doesn't matter.

As long as consoles make you use gay controllers the PC will always be the complete and undisputed No.1 for First Person Shooters.

Mouse + Keyboard is still the ONLY technology if you want to play an FPS in any pleasurable way.

Any argument otherwise is retarded, tbfh.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Doesn't matter.

As long as consoles make you use gay controllers the PC will always be the complete and undisputed No.1 for First Person Shooters.

Mouse + Keyboard is still the ONLY technology if you want to play an FPS in any pleasurable way.

Any argument otherwise is retarded, tbfh.

The games don't matter?

Have fun.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The games don't matter?

Raven said it already - and from the the article posted earlier:
However, from what was shown last night the slightly worrying reality is that in the short term we're looking at games and demos either already running on PC, or with equivalents available now that simply look better.

PC games are already running better games than the consoles have ever had. That ain't gonna change because of a new locked-down-PC launch.

The fact is, apart from a certain genre of games that are simply made for console+controller, PC games have always spanked the consoles. Even when console games are ported over the PC games run better, look better and play better.

My PC is my media, games and work centre. Wireless keyboard + mouse sit on my knee and next to me whilst I play games/browse the web/watch films/do work on my big telly.

What the fuck does a console offer me that I can't already do, apart from a retrograde experience in the vast majority of titles?

Embattle

FH is my second home
I could write a long post but lets keep it short, none of what most of you are saying actually matters generally all three platforms will continue to perform well.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Curious what Nintendo comes up with next, I miss playing Zelda games tbh, was going to buy a Wii for Twilight Princess but never got around to it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
... WiiU? (Or whatever the fuck its called) :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Wii november 2006
Wii u november 2012

It isn't really worth speculation at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom