Some questions to GOA

S

sorusi

1. Why cant english servers be patched directly by copying the us database over to eu one?, this cant possible take any time, basicly just copy and paste with some settings..

2. Will you be sorting the lagg that we soo often suffer from at excalbur (during weekdays especially)?

*others that have questions should ask them in this thread too i think*

S

SilverHood

they've answered 1 enough times:

They need to keep the server versions the same because they use the same log in server.

Also, how are they going to justify charging the English speaking users the same as the french and german users when they give more services to the german and french users??

F

froler-mid

Originally posted by SilverHood
they've answered 1 enough times:

They need to keep the server versions the same because they use the same log in server.

What?

GOA can easliy copy/paste the patches from US version.

PETITION(sp?)!!!! GIVE ENGLISH SERVER FASTER PATCHING! :D

S

Sibanac

1) i am gonne stay way clear of that one

2) what lag ??? only lag i got in the last months was my isp screwing things up

R

Roo Stercogburn

Comes up fairly regularly these topics.

1) Like all companies, GOA want to maintain only one version of an application wherever possible. The overheads increase massively the more variations on applications you start to install and have to support. By keeping the English version in line with the German and French versions, they reduce the work required and actually get less screw-ups, problems and a lot less mistakes.
Note: at no point do I say *No* screw-ups, problems or mistakes ;)

2) GOA have been addressing lag with improvements to the hardware they run, though without being allowed in to audit them, I don't think anyone can confirm what happens Behind The Scenes :D

Y

-yoda-

1/ sorusi wants to get nerfed faster? but seriously i do think that gao keeping patches for english/french/german all the same doesnt bother me at all. its the slow ass speed they do so :( it would be a LOT better and make there customers a LOT more happy if they gave the patches on at a time . patches would b faster and more people happy ,

2/ i agree lag is bad excal servers need some sort of update to help it run better ,

S

sorusi

maybe ppl that say "what lagg" should play on saturday/sunday some more, cos it has been lagging allmost every weekend... cos of lots of ppl on the server....

L

lairiodd

What would be really good would be if they patched to the same patch as the americans and then retroactively translated the content. Like, initially all that would be translated would be the new styles and general gameplay stuff ( so barring new mobs + new zones and new quests we would be at exactly the same version as the americans ) and then they could activate each quest/mob/zone one by one (or maybe a few at a time to save patching time ) as they were translated ( probably leaving them out of the english version until they are ready in the other versions ). What im really saying is I want the /target command now and there are probably only 2-3 quests that actually matter, the rest is irrelavent ( and we would have it at the same time in the end anyway ).

Having said that this assumes that quest translation is what really takes the time. Also, new mobs + drops have to have names matched up ( and also aligned with the new quests, so the drop you get actually works for the quest etc ). There is no "translation" much for new skills. There would be some but it should be possible to patch to a "lite" version of each american patch reasonably quickly after its released and then do the bulk translation. Also, maybe they could have a poll for which quests people want translated first.

V

Vorcyn

Or maybe they stuck to what their doing now and people have a little patience?

S

sorusi

dont see how you can get stuck, its basicly just copy and paste..

O

osy

1) Soruzi, sorry, you don't have a clue.

2) Indeed, GOA's routers respond slower. Tested this over a week now, lag pops quite often.

S

sorusi

if i dont have a clue enligthen me, cos most goa say seems like crap excuses..

10sec lagg in alb frontiers today btw..

C

Carlos Bananos

it is possible to have 2 severs on different patches with same login..

It happened in UO, all, (anyone who played recently will know the AoS upgrade..).

Pendragon anyone?

Even Gorre?

J

JawZ

Well I think GOA said they wouldn't patch because it would be unfair for the german / french players but the question im asking is why it would be unfair since we pay cash so they can translate the game and we have no use for it...

We don't have any ingame CSR:s which can catch bug abusers / answer question fast and they are not even informing us about their knowledge about the lag at excalibur... wow.. great support...

O

old.Xanthian

Sod the Germans..
Sod the French..

I want 1.61 now :p

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Carlos Bananos
it is possible to have 2 severs on different patches with same login..

Pendragon anyone?

Even Gorre?

If`I´m not mistaken (which I aren´t) both the Pendragon and the Gorre players are using a secondary daoc folder because they connect to another login/patch server than the usual clients

C

Carlos Bananos

Originally posted by Addlcove
If`I´m not mistaken (which I aren´t) both the Pendragon and the Gorre players are using a secondary daoc folder because they connect to another login/patch server than the usual clients

Gorre does, dunno abotu pend, but whether they do or dont, the original statement was it wouldn't be feasable to use another login server...yet they already do, and if UO was anything to go by, it is possible for dif patches to share 1 login.

O

optical-

1. goa wants to keep its prized customers (germans/french) happy.

J

Jebelious

because more of them play than uk ppl :p

i recon we should play with the US would be much better, much more fun to take the piss out of :p

T

tindel

yeah, good posts, agree with JawZ when we have to wait for translations that doesnt give us anything, and that we are the minority among the three serverlanguages shouldnt matter to be honest, and aye, the lag this sunday was a pain, but didnt notice it that long..

L

Lorthania

I think some ppl have an oversimplified idea of patches. It's not just a matter of 'copy and paste' some files from the US servers. Some ideas to think about:

- The UK English version is probably not 100 % identical to the US English version and even if it was, it still needs to be tested anyway before it goes live. Testing takes time. I think we should be grateful that Goa takes the time to test new versions before giving them to us.
- Implementing patches requires servers to go down. If the patches were implemented separately per language version, servers would have to go down more than once, resulting in more downtime - and nobody likes that. For the same reason, patching translations as they become available is not a viable idea.
- There are a lot of complaints about customer support. I don't think separate patching would make the life of the CS ppl any easier - different servers running different versions would add a lot of confusion.

I probably could think of other reasons why it takes so long for patches to reach us, but all I want to say is that these reasons exist and that server maintenance is not as easy as it looks. Why can't we just be happy with the state of the game as it is and merrily look forward to what awaits us in the next patch?

Peace :)

P

PJS

currently something like this

european daoc client
.........|
patch server
.........|
login server
.........|
----------------------------------------------
|..........|................|...........................|
Exc Pryd French servers German servers

Considering how Gorre works already why it cant be like this

English daoc client..........Fre/Ger daoc client
.............|.......................................|
eng patch server............fre/ger patch server
eng login server.............fre/ger login server
-----------|......................................|----------------------
|............|.......................................|..........................|
Exc.....Pryd.............................French servers German servers

The new english patch and login servers are direct copies of the American counterparts (only difference is the list of servers it points at obviously) so no hassle there and all you need is a new update.dat on english daoc clients. The 2 new servers needed for this setup can use the old French game servers that have been replaced.

STILL waiting for a VALID reason that isnt a thinly masked "We can't be arsed because you aren't French"

Now if Daoc was written by a company in Quebec say IN French originally and GOA delayed the patches for the French by 3 months to translate it to English/German how long do you think it would be before the French servers were separate and running the current patch? 1 day or 2?

O

old.Tohtori

You people really want GOA to change something? Think about it....

how long did it take for people to register SI?H

How often do patches crash the game and make it unstable?

Now think..just THINK if they changed the way their servers worked! Oh by gods we could play next time somewhere around christmas!!

C

Carlos Bananos

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
You people really want GOA to change something? Think about it....

how long did it take for people to register SI?H

How often do patches crash the game and make it unstable?

Now think..just THINK if they changed the way their servers worked! Oh by gods we could play next time somewhere around christmas!!

we wont have the current US patch by then anwyay :rolleyes:

L

Lorthania

Originally posted by PJS

>Considering how Gorre works already why it cant be like this

>The new english patch and login servers are direct copies of the >American counterparts (only difference is the list of servers it >points at obviously) so no hassle there and all you need is a >new update.dat on english daoc clients. The 2 new servers >needed for this setup can use the old French game servers that >have been replaced.

>STILL waiting for a VALID reason that isnt a thinly masked "We >can't be arsed because you aren't French"

If Goa really wanted to give the advantage to the French, they would put all resources on the French translation, implement it first and then work on the German and English patches. The way it is now, everybody is treated the same. I must say I like that principle...

I don't think you can expect Goa to change their whole server structure just because some of us can't muster the patience to wait for the new patch? Like Tohtori said, doing so may cause more problems than it's worth...

Greetz,

S

sorusi

usually companys try to act proffessional and listen to their customers..

and i _really_ _really_ dont see whats stopping them to ask mythic to compy their current version and then go with it on english servers.. + i would like to see gorre work the way like pendragon works... you copy your chars there etc, so even the small servers get to test their chars.. and not just the big ones.. its not _all_ about testing buggs on gorre, but testing different respeccs etc too..

also it would be really cool if you actacully could get in contact with the goa ppl on the servers, like gms - and not only when your reported for names or something... ive actacully never seen gms around exept when they have told ppl to change names/stop bugg abuses etc... and this is usually after great delay.... they should atleast have someone online on excalibur or prydwen from 08:00 - 17:00 - wich is normal workdays.. so you could get in contact with them ingame

B

Basso

Originally posted by sorusi
usually companys try to act proffessional and listen to their customers..
Well.. if you pay for the service I guess they assume you're happy with things as they are :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom