Some questions to barrysworld community which arouse from the german 4p boards

S

SilverHood

tildson, was the other way around, as I understood it. 5 pc's per server, and now 6 with ToA

Originally posted by tildson
Would a 3rd server really be that expensive? Apparently the US-servers are running 6 daoc-servers on 1 server computer - and running a daoc-server didnt require that much "horse-power"

K

kr0n

If the language will be German, there's no way I'll be there.
I could join a German or French server right now, play with the same shit as in that "multilingual" server.

English is the 2nd most popular language and used generally 95% of the time on Internet, every game made for public release is in English.

Thus English should be the language used in a multilingual server, just like PvP. I haven't browsed through German/French forums but I doubt there was much of whining over the English PvP.

I bet most of German and French players (Well not necessarily the french frogeating bastids but anyways) know adequet or at least decent English so they can manage in an English server.

But the idea itself isn't that bad.

Tho as you can see from the server populations, 3rd server would be the death of Prydwen. It's already struggling for people compared to Excalibur, of course some say it's a good thing but it's all about your point of view, and 3rd server would cut down the playerbase by a nice amount, no matter how multilingual it would be.

Well this is just my opinion.

I'd much rather see them merging 2 unused servers. But doub't that's going to happen in the near future. Not at least until the playerbase falls to unacceptable levels, 400-500 at peaktime or so.

My 50 cents!11 (har har)

B

brite

thats a bloody good idea, would help us be able play all 3 realms also

E

etaew

i like that idea.. ive been playing /level 30 hib on dartmoor for a few days now.. almost every native i have run into speaks english.. :) training / spells / quests are a problem.. but load up in windowed mode with a translation webpage beside u and ur fine :)

T

Tesla Monkor

In order to get more people to Prydwen, it is rather important that NEW players who are currently playing for free on Lothian be routed here, and not to Excalibork.

Personally, GOA should either lock Excalibork for /new/ accounts or instill some sort of ration system. For every 5 accounts on Prydwen, one is allowed on Excal.

Not nice, not smooth but it'll be the only thing that works. 'Asking' doesn't work. ;P

N

ning

Originally posted by kr0n
(Well not necessarily the french frogeating bastids but anyways)

They do speak english. You didn't need to be rude ! There are more french players on Camlann than english players ...

U

Urme the Legend

Would a 3rd server really be that expensive? Apparently the US-servers are running 6 daoc-servers on 1 server computer - and running a daoc-server didnt require that much "horse-power" :)

I thought it was 6 computers for each Daoc server? ...

Since Mythic had like 120 computers to run all the US servers.

T

Tesla Monkor

It's five at present, and six once ToA is added. :)

K

klavrynd

Originally posted by Tesla Monkor
In order to get more people to Prydwen, it is rather important that NEW players who are currently playing for free on Lothian be routed here, and not to Excalibork.

Personally, GOA should either lock Excalibork for /new/ accounts or instill some sort of ration system. For every 5 accounts on Prydwen, one is allowed on Excal.

Not nice, not smooth but it'll be the only thing that works. 'Asking' doesn't work. ;P

the thing is that there are people who start playing because their friends play, and if they happen to be playing on excal ....

if you take the server with the largest population to play on, you're a mong anyway :)

S

soullessminion

Originally posted by liste
i see one big problem with this.

the germans playing there. If they wanted to speak english, they would've rolled on english servers. This means, that even if the game is translated, the people wont be, and you cant expect the players to do so.
Personally, i would hate playing in a realm, where i couldnt understand what 50% of the players say

Rofl that sounts just like Mid excal to me with all the Swedes :p

Everytime anyone in my guild gets exited they switch back to swed language, and i cant understand a bloody word :p

Face it there are no real ENGLISH servers anymore theres German, French and swed (though swed dont mind us english playing theres, and there nice enough to leave text in english)

D

Driwen

Originally posted by soullessminion
Face it there are no real ENGLISH servers anymore theres German, French and swed (though swed dont mind us english playing theres, and there nice enough to leave text in english)

there are sure many swedes in midgard, but if its more than 50% I doubt that and I think that on total excalibur has more people from the UK than from any other country even if you include Norway/Sweden/Denmark as one country.
I find it kinda arrogant to just claim that the english servers are swedish as there seem to be more swedes on mid/excal than any other nationality to you.

E

ethiraseth

if all ingame text is in english ill be there :cool:

E

etaew

why cant goa switch the language processing from server to client.. then u could play on any server.. change the commands to IDs.. then the IDs are sent from the server and the client changes them to your local language.. can work for mob names.. training.. delving.. the status window.. be nice then

oh while were at it.. anyone been trying /level 30 on dartmoor hib.. anyone got guilds there.. my 31 chanter and 31 warden is getting lonely :)

O

old.yaruar

Would a 3rd server really be that expensive? Apparently the US-servers are running 6 daoc-servers on 1 server computer - and running a daoc-server didnt require that much "horse-power" :)

I still cant find out why GOA didnt make some kind of language-interface, really sick of have to wait so very long just to have GOA translate, and its even worse since English-servers have to wait for patches AND only have access to 2realms :(

But i like the idea, you could do something.

I thought the game servers were all on individual clusters of up to 6 dual xeon servers?

You certainly wouldn't want to run this on non clustered/non mirrored servers.
And those servers are damned expensive...

D

Demolay

Holy Jesus don't give GOA more of an excuse over "translation" times they spoon it out long enuf!

Good idea tho - nice to mingle with our mainland cousins have much fun with the Scandi's in our guild

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom