Some questions to barrysworld community which arouse from the german 4p boards

S

solothores

Some questions to barrysworld community which rose from the german 4p boards

Hi All,

A question from our side, on Avalon we have a realm heavenly suffering in realm rvr from population inbalance issues in comparison to the other two realms.

The community in cooperation with the gm is searching for ways, how we could solve the problem on the appropriate german community boards in discussion with members of all realms. As you can imagine it's a pretty controversal discussion and not everybody even in the underpopulated realm as well favours the level30 method implemented by mythic as the one-and-only solution to get there. And a lot of ppl tend to go off topic as well... but I guess this is nothing new. :D

A player made the suggestion to actually change the specific realm into an inofficial language hybrid German/English and invite the english players through the ways which are available to GOA to participate. (like gorath in swg for example) This because as we did understand, on your side there are not enough servers around to play all three realms in your local language.

I know discussions about 3rd servers etc are pretty controversal on this boards as well, since you guys suffer as well from low population issues (At least you did suffer in the past) as I did understand, and a third server could destabilize the servers on your side as well and turn the situation even worse.

But if the guys on GOA would declare the specific Realm as an inofficial, recommended location for english-speakers to go/start there, would you guys spend a thought about creating a char over there, if it is the missing realm for your alts? At least you can expect that other english speaking ppl would start over there as well, and the community would be more & less prepared about your downfall on them? =)

Furthermore, the present community would be ready to help you out and provide a helping/guiding hand through the hard leveling process, and even events developed by volunteers and the local gm, in favour of bringing both language parties together, making things easier, helping you to get in touch with others etc. would be imaginable.

On a side note:
Server language would be still german, so I know that it causes problems, at the end it wouldn't be a final solution at all. (However I am not sure which technical ways from GOAs side are possible)

However I guess it could also be a challenge to many of you. And I bet playing on the same server for the same realm but with different language setting could be an intriguing & rewarding experience. We clearly emphasize GOA to push for more instruments on Mythic's side, to influence population issues on the specific servers more directly (like char move for example), so that In case of a third english server launch you guys would have a possibility to move on it, with your char created on Avalon. If you still like to ofc :)

Discuss, and don't hesitate to share your thoughts and concerns ^^

Btw: I linked this thread on the german boards.

G

Graknak

Multi-language support would solve the problem no doubt, especially with the /level 30 command.
It might be a problem, putting up with some on-the-spot translator script orso, or reroute german text to the english versions and show those on the screen instead.
Either way it would solve at least 2 problems, English ppl whining about having a server less and you folks being low on population.

I hope the problem gets solved though, i wouldn't mind having a 3th spot to play instead of changing realms all the time on one of the english servers

E

Esoteric

Id love to play the 3rd and final realm...

Which realm are you from or is it just the server that has the problem.

S

solothores

The underpopulated realm on Avalon is Hibernia.

M

Myddrin

Could you say what classes are most in need there Solothores?

S

Staan

i've never played hib, and i would be very very interested :> if everything was not in german :<

Y

-yoda-

id like to see some sort of 3rd english server .BUT,, i think a GOOD way to sort out population balance (if itis possible) that when people sign in they AUTOMATICALLY get allocated hib/mid or alb ... i know some say that would suck cos if a grp of friends all buy daoc they might be split into different realms,,BUT my idea to combat that would be to allow people who have AUTOMATICALLY been allocated as a hib . the choice to delete and re-allocate themselves in mid/alb ..... i know a lot of paople may delete n reroll another realm .... BUT im also sure for balance issues a LOT of people will stay in the realm they were sent to when they 1st came into the game ,

looking at the populations of the german/french servers ,,, pryd and excal seem to have higher populations than some of the 2nd 3rd 4th german/french ones .... so whny Goa wont impliment a 3rd english server is beyond me ... the german servers with the lowest 2 populations i have NEVER seen have a higher population than excal or pryd .. so it looks to me as tthough germans got a 5th server when there 4th servers WASNT as active as pryd or excal :( .

i just think Goa have a grudge against english servers :)

but there are MANY people on excal/pryd who DO want to have the chance to play a 3rd server . yes we can roll on a german/french server . BUT cant understand anything thats in text .. cant sort out your spells for a new realm cos cant understand the language . i tried roll a chanter on dartmoor for the lurikeen invasion my 1st effort i made a mentalist by accident cos i didnt even know what chanter was in german :) and hen i couldnt understand what spec line was which .. which debuffs were which what dmge type i was using to choose my mobs to hunt from . and i dont wanna have to /send a german person to ask if he can translate for me everytuime i wanna delve into a spell . or ask what it is when i try do a quest :(

giff 3rd server :) or a somehow merged one

C

Cloudd_RTD

A third server would be quite nice really, but helping out Hibernia would be a realm mean problem for me at least. In my days I have never been able to become higher than 18ish in Hibernia due to IMO lack of groups and to wide-spread tasks.

If they made Avalon-Hibernia Multi-languaged and the "help" from the english speaking servers would be helped by getting us abit up in lvl, I would at least help out.

- Cloudd

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Staan
i've never played hib, and i would be very very interested :> if everything was not in german :<

I think that's the main problem
the game makes very little sense if you can't understand a word that's being said.
and to ask for a translation with each single piece of text can get pretty tiresome.

O

old.Jable

Originally posted by -yoda-
id like to see some sort of 3rd english server .BUT,, i think a GOOD way to sort out population balance (if itis possible) that when people sign in they AUTOMATICALLY get allocated hib/mid or alb ...

lots of people have rl friends in game, and most people have made up their minds what realm they want to play before they start.

if there was a setting to restart and reroll on another realm, most would use it till they got what they wanted. it would be effective only for the minority which wouldnt do enough to qualify the effort of all those players rerolling till they got the realm of choice.

as far as playing on the lesser populated german server, it sounds like a good idea to me. we are all friends afterall, in practice it may be interesting, but then again, maybe it will raise literacy rates in english and german in both sets of players...

or maybe thats b******s.

still, good idea imo.

L

liste

i see one big problem with this.

the germans playing there. If they wanted to speak english, they would've rolled on english servers. This means, that even if the game is translated, the people wont be, and you cant expect the players to do so.
Personally, i would hate playing in a realm, where i couldnt understand what 50% of the players say

Z

zerz

I played for a while in german servers...I wanted to learn some But Friends didnt want to go on...

Actually Those german words you learn quite Quickkly...I mean Stärke = Strength (sorry if I remeber wrong)...

In Quests thinks were little trickky but.... :)

I dont think so anyhow that this would solve probblem...And Daoc population is going to move another games in start of next year when EQ 2, WoW etc. coming... :(

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by liste

Personally, i would hate playing in a realm, where i couldnt understand what 50% of the players say

this is different from prydwen and the 1337 speakers how?

:p

N

)nick(

I doubt this is going to work as in my experience daoc players are pretty passive so for english players to actively play there would require GOA to change the language on that specific server/realm.

Besides it would mean playing hard mode on another server :(

J

Javai

We kinda tried this on Dartmoor a few weeks back, did /level 30 took one German friend with us and got ourselves into bg.

Was certainly interesting when I charged at the gatekeep yelling enter........Gatekeeper didn't speak English :(

It is actually exceptionally difficult to play an unfamiliar realm in an unfamiliar language but not impossible. If some kind of 'official' support was offered then it would be much easier. For example, someone could offer a page with key words (like enter, class names, etc) translated.

Of course the German players in that realm would need to support the idea otherwise it could be an unpleasant experience fo both German and English speakers.

O

old.tRoG

We managed it alright during the lurikeen invasion of orcanie :)

F

froler-mid

Re: Some questions to barrysworld community which rose from the german 4p boards

Originally posted by solothores

On a side note:
Server language would be still german, so I know that it causes problems, at the end it wouldn't be a final solution at all. (However I am not sure which technical ways from GOAs side are possible)

was a v good idea till i read this........:bore:

S

solothores

Yup, I understand what you guys mean. I guess GOA should really push hard vor multi-language support on serverside. I am, after Camlann more than before the opinion that an international player base is the best thing that can happen to anyone. It's a rewarding experience for everyone.

I know it is not much but the german translation for "enter" would be "rein" the word needed to get out is "raus". A translation for the different starter classes would be:

Druide:Druid / Barde:Bard / Fian:Hero / Schwertmeister:Blademaster / Schnitter:Valewalker / Animist:Animist / Eldritch:Eldritch / Beschwörer:Enchanter / Waldläufer:Ranger / Nachtschatten:Nightshade / Champion:Champion / Mentalist:Mentalist / Hüter:Warden

From what I did understand Bards are very rare on the Hibernian side especially in rvr. RvR on Avalon/Hib side is pretty melee focused. Chanter groups in RvR are pretty rare on Avalon.

Btw: Game language in RvR however is more and less the same as on your side, we also use the english codenames for locations, spells, styles, short information etc. =)

B

Brennik

a) Not surprised it's Hibernia in need...
b) Don't take this the wrong way, but have you taken a look at the Hibernian populations on the two English servers?

T

tiareth

I wonder if there's any server where Hib has the most people.

N

Nightchill

interesting idea but it'd need a lot of english speakers (or someone deciding to set up an english guild there) to get me to level a hib there.

R

Ragnsteinn

Great idea imo. As I really wanted to play all three realms I actually started playing on Avalon a few days ago. Got me a stlong level 10 Warden now :) Even though I don't play there as much as I play on the english servers I'm sure that will change as I get more acquainted with the people there.

I'd also like to thank the Black Arrows for helping me with my initial problems while I'm at it.

T

tildson

Would a 3rd server really be that expensive? Apparently the US-servers are running 6 daoc-servers on 1 server computer - and running a daoc-server didnt require that much "horse-power" :)

I still cant find out why GOA didnt make some kind of language-interface, really sick of have to wait so very long just to have GOA translate, and its even worse since English-servers have to wait for patches AND only have access to 2realms :(

But i like the idea, you could do something.

M

Mishy

Originally posted by tildson
Would a 3rd server really be that expensive? Apparently the US-servers are running 6 daoc-servers on 1 server computer - and running a daoc-server didnt require that much "horse-power" :)

I dont think cost is the issue, since goa have proved they can add extra servers no problem, its the fact, that the English player base is not big enough to support a 3rd server.

D

Dommina

Originally posted by tildson

I think the reason for no 3rd english server is that GOA dont want to depopulate Prydwen more than the cost of server hardware.

<happy thoughts of all prydwen necro's going to 3rd server are probably just fantasies after all>

I tried making a spiritmaster on orcanie, ended up with a runie. I also found it impossible to find crafters etc when you cant speak to the player base.

D

Dommina

bah Mishy should think out his posts more and not get in before me

M

Mishy

Originally posted by Dommina
bah Mishy should think out his posts more and not get in before me

ha! beat you by 4 minutes :p

K

klavrynd

from what i've seen on a brief visit to avalon, the server is having a massive population as it is ( excal zerg size/rate * 2 if not more) , and i doubt bringing extra people would really solve the rvr "problem"

Users who are viewing this thread