Solid backup phone

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Have been looking around for a solid backup phone where all the shady business can be done. Price should be around 110 quid.

Important that it has a good battery time, good sound, decent camera etc. Doesn't really matter which operating system it uses though.

Had my eyes on Nokia Lumia 900 today. What do you guys think?

soze

I am a FH squatter
My drinking phone is a Lumia 525 as it takes the same SIM as my iPhone but it is not £400 to replace should it suffer an accident. They are well built phones and Win 8 mobile is plenty useable. The camera on the 525 is fine but I am not a photography expert so I will leave that part for someone with a 900 to comment on. But Win 8 mobile Nokias are decent phones.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
The price dropped for the Nexus 4, which is a solid phone though I think the 8GB model is £160 and 16GB is £200.

soze

I am a FH squatter
They are hard to get hold of now because the military is using them as tank armor.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
My wife's phone went kaput and she's got a Nokia Lumia 520 for a bit, it's a really well built phone - obv. not w00t on the apps as it's Windows Phone but the battery life is great and the UI is speedy etc.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Actually considering a Nokia Lumia at the moment; which model remains to be seen. Ty for the information so far.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I use an Xperia S for my backup phone, and it does the job pretty well. Good battery ans camera, great reception and call quality too. Should be avaliable 2nd hand for around.your budget.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I actually use my 3310 as somewhat of an ornament, got it in front of my TV :p

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Looking at a Nokia Lumia 900 with Windows 7.5 Mango. How does that system work compared to Windows 8? Or does all Lumias use 7.5 Mango?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
fettoken said:
Looking at a Nokia Lumia 900 with Windows 7.5 Mango. How does that system work compared to Windows 8? Or does all Lumias use 7.5 Mango?

Instead of a choice of 8 apps to download there's only a choice of 3?

Syri

FH is my second home
Windows 7.5 is not compatible with any windows mobile 8 software, unless it's been programmed specifically to work with both. Hardly anyone got any windows 7 phones, and there wasn't a lot made for them before 8 came along (not that that's changed much, but it has increased the app content a bit, still lagging way behind though). You can't upgrade the 7.5 phones to 8 either, the best you can get is 7.8, which adds a few features from 8, but doesn't let you run any apps designed for 8.
Basically, if you only want what's built in to a windows 7 phone, go for it. If you want to actually add any content to it, and look for something a bit more progressive, you'll be wanting a windows 8 phone, if windows phone is your thing. If you want to get a smartphone and have a decent app selection though, you'll need an old second hand iphone, or a budget/old android phone. If you go for a budget android though, be sure to read up on anything before putting your money down. There's some good budget handsets out there, but there's some right rubbish too.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Decided on a Nokia Lumia 720. Got it quiet a lot cheaper. About 170 quid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom