Software Problem

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Hi,

I have tried installing a new piece of software on my PC and every time I try to run it it shows a bluse screen, covered in text, for about a second, and then restarts the PC. I have no idea what is on the BSOD because it flashes up for such a short time.

If I run the program in safe mode it works fine.

I am pretty sure that few if anyone here will be familiar with the program, it is called Nikon Capture and it is photo editing software specifically for Nikon Cameras. It comes in 2 parts, ver 4.0 and then an update to recognise my camera. I have installed the first part, and it causes the BSOD so I installed the update, with exactly the same effect.

I realise that not being familiar with the software it'll be difficult to give a definitive answer, but does anyone know the sort of problem that might cause this effect?

Windows restarts each time without any error message, nor any offer to report the problem. I am completely stumped :(

It is my new PC:
Gigabyte GeForce 6600 GT 256MB DDR3 & K8NXP-SLI nForce4 SLi.

Athlon64 3500+ skt 959

2x SATA drives

1Gb DDR PC3200

Thanks

RB

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
theres a way of turning off the auto-reboot thingy, but Im damned if I can remember how :(. Anyway, when you turn it off, the BSoD will tell you what the error is (probably)

Someone far more intelligent than I will help Im sure.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
press teh windows key + pause/break

then go to teh advanced tab

click settings under startup and recovery

deselect automatically restart

now you will be able to read your BSOD

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thank you very much for your help.

The problem is that everyone is so quick and helpful here that I always come here for help first, and not where I should go.

Having posted here I did what I should have done in teh first place and checked the Nikon site.

Turns out that it is a known problem with AMD64 CPUs and there is an update.

Thanks anyway guys, I do appreciate it, and sorry for wasting your time

RB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom