So...why exactly DON'T cousins marry?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What the basic jist of it? Well, genepool down the drain. Yes, ofcourse. Given.

Now!

What i was wondering, as i normally do, is why is it "frowned" upon, and illegal i believe, to sexor the sister or some such manner of tomfoolery?

Is it simply one of those "moral" things, that have grown to be the basis of humanity, based on the "mixing same genes bad!" thing cavemen already had, i think, coursing through their...umm..dna?

If there was, a law of sorts, that would allow cousins etc get their freak on, BUT NOT breed, what would be the reason for it NOT to happen?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i believe most criminal laws are based around what the general consensus would agree to be immoral.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Over here, you *can* marry your cousin, but you need a special permission to do so. But nevertheless, I agree that it´s kinda hard to find a good reason why people shouldn´t if it´s their wish to do so. The only "thing" I can come up with is that there is some kind of natural barrier. I can´t quite explain, but for example I never found my sister sexually attractive (although she´s a model). It´s always been my sister and this "innocent brother/sister love" has always been the dominant feeling. Of course that might be the result of education, but I doubt it, since I never discussed that kind of stuff with my parents.
So what I´m trying to say is: maybe there is some kind of genetical mechanism that normally forbids that kind of feelings. (And for the notes: "normally" doesn´t insinuate that I consider the opposite "abnormal" or anything.)

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
Isnt it to stop inbreeding and genetic inormalities? I think in some countrys cousins can marry, but they need DNA tests to prove there antics wont cause inbreeding.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
In some cultures, its perfectly legal (and normal) to marry your sister - its frowned upon only in specific cultures (most of the civilised world)where it is considered not normal / wrong / immoral etc

The Olympian deities married their daughters, sisters, mothers. Damn inbreeding Gods.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
You can marry your sister, just 95% of your children will be with abnormal mutations/down syndrome etc

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
If you need to think about the question, its already too late for you.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i always wondered something actually. i dont know anyhting about genetics tbh, but why is it that humans are likely to be born fucked up if say mother and son copulated? yet animals can do it without a problem.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
i always wondered something actually. i dont know anyhting about genetics tbh, but why is it that humans are likely to be born fucked up if say mother and son copulated? yet animals can do it without a problem.

I'm not sure that animals can do it without a problem tbh, cause this rule will apply on them aswell (corrupt chromosomes), well never seen animals do it as well :>

Edit: Yeah it works in animals as well

Inbreeding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH

thats not true:) you still get the chance of generic imperfections, conditions and deformities

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Because if both people are carrier of a disease/deformity carrying gene, both mother and son would carry it, greatly increasing the chances of any child born to have the condition instead of being a carrier. Carrier genes are usually recessive, so dormant unless both parents are carriers. And yes it happens in animals too, that's partly why we have dogs instead of pet wolves :p

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
You can marry your cousin in the UK. You can marry your step-sister/brother too as long as you havent lived under the same roof as siblings =)

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
There's nothing wrong with it at all unless your unlucky enough to not be part of the royal family.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Inbreeding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh are second cousins once removed, both being descended from King Christian IX of Denmark.

farmers.jpg

Edit: Does the one on the right remind you of the American comedian Rich Hall ?

rich%20hall%20pot.jpg

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Isnt it to stop inbreeding and genetic inormalities? I think in some countrys cousins can marry, but they need DNA tests to prove there antics wont cause inbreeding.

Yes, exactly why you should read the original post before replying :D

I said if you take that aspect away.

If you need to think about the question, its already too late for you.

and

Your sick. :wij:

How about...i didn't say i WANT to do so, but was wondering on if it's simply a moral standpoint that humanity/nature has spawned.

It seems, there's no real reason not to, except for reproducing and general morale stand point.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I married and fucked my cat, so why can't cousins?

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
You can marry your cousin in the UK. You can marry your step-sister/brother too as long as you havent lived under the same roof as siblings =)

now thats just strange. i can understand why genetically bound people arent allowed to mate (homozygotic behaviour, or what ya want to call it, is how you perfect a crop - making sure the best genes will be delivered onto the next generation. since humans get too little offspring to carry this behaviour correctly it fails 9/10 or something [my theory at least, correct me if im wrong]), but i cannot understand how unrelated people like step-whatever arent allowed. its not like it will harm anybody severely

Golly

Fledgling Freddie
the simple answer is, FH crew answer more deep and meaningful questions than the houses of parliament!

interbreeding doesn't guarentee deformities, it just enhances the chances of them happening

good example is genetically modified crops, there were cases a few years back of GM crops that are produced by taking a single strain and breeding it amongst itself whilst enhancing certain aspects (ie yield) which leads to super crops, but they have huge weaknesses to certain diseases due to a really low/unadaptive genepool. Normally a strong disease to a crop could wipe out maybe 60%, with the 40% being able to cope, but with a super strain its more likely to be close to 100% of crop lost, as the strain simply hasn't got the genetic variation to deal with the disease, i think anyways, perhaps some more light can be shed?

bring on the biologists!

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
think tohts going through a bit of a dry spell. i know you're moving out into the country and everything toh but some of their pasttimes i think youd be better to leave well alone. your cousin/sister might look tasty right now but you'll regret it in the morning

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
think tohts going through a bit of a dry spell. i know you're moving out into the country and everything toh but some of their pasttimes i think youd be better to leave well alone. your cousin/sister might look tasty right now but you'll regret it in the morning

We don't all have the same Oedipus complex you do.

Or are you one of those morons who can't talk about things without actually doing them? You know, can't talk about black people 'cause you'd be a racist? Can't talk about games without being a nerd?

It's interesting to see though, that people have a hard time to take out the breeding part of it.

Many here still talk about "well 'cause the breeding" etc, when it was said, explicitly, that if you took that part out :D

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
Heh, I actually don't care if you want to marry your cousin. So long as my kid doesn't have to go to school with your three-eyed, web-footed, half-man half-seal hybrid. Pretty much the only reason I posted in this thread is because you made it, and these days you seem to predictably bite on even the smallest bit of flame-bait. I need SOMETHING to do while I eat breakfast :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Heh, I actually don't care if you want to marry your cousin. So long as my kid doesn't have to go to school with your three-eyed, web-footed, half-man half-seal hybrid. Pretty much the only reason I posted in this thread is because you made it, and these days you seem to predictably bite on even the smallest bit of flame-bait. I need SOMETHING to do while I eat breakfast :)

Oh a new "seel is like this" trend. I bite at every flame.

I simply talk back, if you do. Nothing new there.

But if your only point here is to flamebait, alrighty then. Good for you. I think luckily for you that's allowed on these forums.

Agrigo

Can't get enough of FH
Im not too sure why ppl generally dont feel any sexual needs twords their siblings ( i guess thats just more environmental and how they were brought up in their culture) but as far as im aware from genetics last year the whole point that were ment to mate with ppl outside of our close familys is to help genetic diversity.

If you marrying your cousine / sister was a once off and your children went off and mated with ppl out of your family then there would prob be little to no genetic abnormalities. however if you decided to keep it in the family for several generations there wouldnt be enough new genes comming into your pool and eventully all of your bad genes would be expressed giving abnormalities. basically from my understanding, doing it once or twice = fine, doing it for several generations leads to bad things :)

And i reckon that the whole non sexual attraction is simply environmental as in several cultures it is considered normal and is approved of.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
once or twice can easily lead to deformalities. its just a game of chance really :p

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah really turned you into his bitch when you went to see him, didn't he? ...

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Toht! Don't do it! :( Go get some chick drunk and do it that way! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom