so which console are you getting

which next gen console will you choose

• xbox one

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • ps4

Votes: 28 70.0%
  • Wii U (suppose i gotta throw it out there)

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Xbone doesn't have 1080 iirc? only does 720 or something.

Battlefield 4 runs @ 720p on Xbox One - 900p on PS4
CoD Ghosts runs @ 720p on Xbox One - 1080p on PS4

So aye, guessing other games will likely be the same.

From what I've read the XBone does 1080p but some games such as CoD Ghosts will be 720p upscaled to 1080. The reason was they wanted 60 fps on both consoles. The PS4 CoD will run at native 1080p. Suggesting that the console is higher spec'd or it is a game optimisation issue, it was not clear.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11...-is-720p-on-xbox-one-and-1080p-on-playstation

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
what the fuck?? My PHONE runs shit at higher res than that. What a load of shit. They really have given up on trying to improve the quality of games. It's just DLC and online shit time after time. I honestly prefer a random flash game to most modern releases. Not seen anything new for so long. Even stuff like GTA online is hopelessly outdated. 18 players max? I was doing relic raids in daoc with hundreds of people a DECADE ago.

Not much point going beyond 720p/1080p right now as that would mean an expensive upgrade in most homes. It will take 2-3 more years for 4k to become a preferred home system of choice.

Regards the multiplayer, I totally agree. Seems everything is done on the cheap with instanced servers rather than open world clusters. We do appear to have gone backwards for the sake of economics.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There is no reason at all to not have native 1080, except for limitations in the hardware. If the X-Bone 180 can't do 1080 without crashing or slowing down then it should not claim to be "next gen" Same boat as the Wii, lastgen.5

Fair enough, not 4k resolution, there is little point this generation but no 1080? Makes no sense at all.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So Valve have shown off the prototype Steam Machine:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5...chine-valves-video-game-console-of-the-future
steam-machine-prototype_1020.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

I know its just a prototype (but its a very well finished one), but would it have killed them to invest in a bit of industrial design that's not yet another black monolith?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
There is no reason at all to not have native 1080, except for limitations in the hardware. If the X-Bone 180 can't do 1080 without crashing or slowing down then it should not claim to be "next gen" Same boat as the Wii, lastgen.5

So Xbone is 1080 but a few games have toned down the resolution to improve fps. Ttat could be for two reasons:
  • Hardware
  • Software is optimised for one graphics chip type. They could not be arsed to redo the code to get the best out of both.
Either way I don't think it will change peoples opinion of either product. Console choice is more about the dedicated titles that gamers want to play. Think the Wii proved that case. Innovative games that won over intense hi def graphics. Talked to my son about it and all his mates are getting Xbone with only a couple getting PS4. They play as a clan on COD so want to stay on one type. All they play is multiplayer COD and FIFA 13/14. MS have servers in ME region. Sony don't so you end playing on EU Servers at a huge disadvantage due to the ping. Easy decision I guess. I honestly don't care which one he wants, I wont be touching it. Still prefer PC MMO's over any console type shiz.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So Xbone is 1080 but a few games have toned down the resolution to improve fps. Ttat could be for two reasons:
  • Hardware
  • Software is optimised for one graphics chip type. They could not be arsed to redo the code to get the best out of both.
Either way I don't think it will change peoples opinion of either product. Console choice is more about the dedicated titles that gamers want to play. Think the Wii proved that case. Innovative games that won over intense hi def graphics. Talked to my son about it and all his mates are getting Xbone with only a couple getting PS4. They play as a clan on COD so want to stay on one type. All they play is multiplayer COD and FIFA 13/14. MS have servers in ME region. Sony don't so you end playing on EU Servers at a huge disadvantage due to the ping. Easy decision I guess. I honestly don't care which one he wants, I wont be touching it. Still prefer PC MMO's over any console type shiz.

I think all games have been downgraded to 720 haven't they? I saw an advert for the X-Bone 180 the other day that had zero mention of games too.

I was toying with the idea of getting a PS4 but I just don't see the point now. There are literally no announced, exclusive games coming out in the next year on either platform that even remotely interest me. The only console game on the horizon that I will be buying is GT6 and that's PS3.

I will probably wait and see what Naughty Dog are doing next and buy/not buy a PS4 based on that.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Even though it looks a bit like a projector, i quite like that. Looks A LOT nicer than x-bone & ps4.

I just hope it talks to you in a portal voice.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Going for a PS4, naturally. Not bothering until the new year though as I still have some PS3 titles to finish and GT6 is out later in the year, so will finish those off then upgrade. Only launch title I'm keen for is Killzone : Shadowfall as the first 3 were ace, althoguh Drive Club looks good too (even though its not out til later).

Had to laugh at the Xbox 180's launch lineup, looks non-existant. Only thing half interesting is Forza Paintshop Racing, but that's apparently a cut-down "Prologue" style game - they havent even included the Nurburgring so they can bum you later for DLC.

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
Wonder where they got the idea for that Forza game from eh!

Still can't decide personally, but don't see how the XB1 could be a better option than the PS4 as it stands.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I cant wait for someone to invent a shooting game.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Yeah they kind of missed an important point from Prologue. It was 20 quid as it was only half a game. Forza 5 is 50 quid plus. Then you have to pay additional money to go round the Nurburgring.

No problem with the lesser content to get a game out there. Massive problem with bumming gamers senseless cos they couldn't be arsed to develop the game properly.

So hush, children.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I can't say I was seriously considering one before today, certainly not now having splurged on a new graphics card.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I just hope it talks to you in a portal voice.

that would seriously move it to the top of my shopping list. that or the hal9000 voice.

"watch sex in the city. I'm sorry Dave I cant allow you to do that"

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I was just reading on the beeb that the PS4 is as much as 40% more powerful than the X-Bone 180. Have MS actually gone mad?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I was just reading on the beeb that the PS4 is as much as 40% more powerful than the X-Bone 180. Have MS actually gone mad?

We won't know that until a few years down the line when the devs have figured out how to use the consoles performances properly. Not to mention that both Sony and MS will release optimization patches.

So while 40% might sound like much in reality it's just a vague number that doesn't really say much.

So i wouldn't care about that if i were you.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
After being hugely skeptical (I still am a bit), I really want the Steam Machine to succeed. You can't imagine the number of fucks I do not give for Sony/MS insert-black-box-name-here. I thought maybe the games themselves would help me change my mind but sweet Jesus, its just a slightly shinier 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom