So warhammer turned out to be a wow-clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie
Surprise surprise.

I can't blame mythic, since WoW were a moneycow.

But tell me, dear beta-testers: Why should daoc-players change to War? And why should wow-players change to War, since it's pretty much the same?

For others (the non-betatesters): Why aren't you just playing wow now, instead of warhammer? What are you expecting to find?

This thread aint flaming - just pure observations.
Perhaps i should mention im a daoc-gamer - i hate wow.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie
... and for the fanboys, crying it's an awesome game:

Name one thing it can beat daoc in =). Thanks.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Okay I will :)

Public Quests
ToK

Two things ;)

Also, I'm not a fanboy, I'm an ex-DAoC player. I can see where the game is different and I've yet to play it.

Aww :(

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Surprise surprise.

But tell me, dear beta-testers: Why should daoc-players change to War? And why should wow-players change to War, since it's pretty much the same?

For others (the non-betatesters): Why aren't you just playing wow now, instead of warhammer? What are you expecting to find?

Blinks once, blinks twice.

Oh you mean the graphics, well seeing as WoW based their graphics on Warhammer that would make sense, ok ok, they based them on Warhammer which took them from Tolkien, and yes Tolkien nicked the Orc from the Romans Orcas.

Is WAR the same as WoW, well WoW is a PvE game WAR is a RvR game so major difference there. Then again WAR has better PvE in the form of PQ's. It does lack Raid content though.

So to answer your question, if you want a MMORPG based around Raids stay in WoW, if you want a bloody fight in RvR from 'Rank 5' to 'Rank 40 Renown Rank 80' then go make WAR.

Forgive me but realistically those that are making comments that WAR is the same as WoW clearly haven't played the game.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Surprise surprise.

I want to play this more then WoW for the open world RVR which is what made DAOC fun!

However if WAR turns out to be not my thing then i have no problem returning to WoW.

I really hope WAR is going to be good though.

Nibor

One of Freddy's beloved
This is easy to answer :)

What do we expect?

As for me and alot of my guildies DAoC was the best game ever, we expect Warhammer to be a kind of DAoC II.

no other game could keep up with DAoCs endgame with all its flaws it had like zergy emain :) , but even that we are missing.

ever been in the Lotro pvp slideshow?
Potbs seafight dident catch our intrest for long.
AOCs buggy gameplay and charnerfing drove us away before we even could test the rvr.
cant tell about wow as i never played it long enough.

all we want is good and balanced rvr, and we expect war to deliver this. :)

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie

What do we expect?

As for me and alot of my guildies DAoC was the best game ever, we expect Warhammer to be a kind of DAoC II.

no other game could keep up with DAoCs endgame with all its flaws it had like zergy emain :) , but even that we are missing.

AOCs buggy gameplay and charnerfing drove us away before we even could test the rvr.

War isn't DAoC II but it doesn't try to be, it does however take the better ideas of DAoC and make them its own, if what you posted above is what you expect you will love this game :)

JohnnyBoy555

Fledgling Freddie
Don't even bother answering this idiot. He wouldn't know a decent MMO if it ran over him.

threeps

Fledgling Freddie
I was expecting this kinda post after release and ingame chat also. But that would be from people that cannot understand a RvR game and what WAR actually is trying to be.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie
Blinks once, blinks twice.

Oh you mean the graphics, well seeing as WoW based their graphics on Warhammer that would make sense, ok ok, they based them on Warhammer which took them from Tolkien, and yes Tolkien nicked the Orc from the Romans Orcas.

Is WAR the same as WoW, well WoW is a PvE game WAR is a RvR game so major difference there. Then again WAR has better PvE in the form of PQ's. It does lack Raid content though.

So to answer your question, if you want a MMORPG based around Raids stay in WoW, if you want a bloody fight in RvR from 'Rank 5' to 'Rank 40 Renown Rank 80' then go make WAR.

Forgive me but realistically those that are making comments that WAR is the same as WoW clearly haven't played the game.

... aaaand clearly you didn't read my post.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie
I was expecting this kinda post after release and ingame chat also. But that would be from people that cannot understand a RvR game and what WAR actually is trying to be.

And i played daoc for 4-5 years. So i know what RvR is.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie

What do we expect?

Now THAT'S a good answer. I agree, that we hope it'll be DAoC II.

But lots of things aren't going to be the same: You are going to pvp vs. other servers, as i see it. Which sucks. You wont know and "fear" the famous guilds (nolby pride comes to mind), of your own server.

... along with lots of other stuff.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie
No body has still to answer:

Can it beat daoc in anything? (If you tell me one thing, i promise to play it for a week).

"Beating" is subjective, but creative thoughts and points of views are taken into account.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
did you play WAR though? o_O

i've played DAoC, WAR and WoW and WAR clearly outshines WoW simply because WoW lacked what DAoC had (and WAR has)

for example; im a happy little gnome wandering along bashing things in WoW, i see an orc, i cant be arsed to kill him, hes probably doing same quest i am anyway, why bother?!? either way either i will have to walk back to my corpse or he will have to walk back to his, just inconvenient really

WAR example; im a happy little goblin, ive just seen an elf, im in an RvR zone i wouldnt bloody be here unless i desperatly wanted to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh his damn ass off, shit he has a friend, or three, its ok i do too why? because im in an RvR zone and we are all here to beat each other with sticks! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

ie you get a feeling in WAR (as you did in DAoC) that you have a purpose, you arent just there to sit about for hours on end in a raid to get an item or whatever, your a trooper in war, killing the enemy and taking their strongholds (and pillaging their women afterwards, though i cant imagine what use a, well what is effectively a big talking mushroom would have with women)

theres almost a sense of realm pride and that my friend is something golden that will keep many deluded folk (like myself) hooked for many a year i suspect ;)

edit: just saw your post above and the main thing that it beats (and will DEFINETLY beat)???? PEOPLE! yes there will be lots and lots of people to play with, even at its peak i dont remember ever seeing prydwen climb past the 2000 mark, in WAR there will be several servers of more than that i imagine, yes there'll be noobs but who cares dont group with them get into a decent guild, do PK's (which can be done with randomers as all classes contribute and the warparty system is fantastic if you have more than one group!) if you are a soloer run around unlocking Tome of Knowledge stuff get special tactics and bonuses that way

and i havent even gotten started on the awesomeness of the guild UI, forget typing /gc who and trawling through lists or whatever, hell even the LFG thing is better!

i could go on, play the game before you judge! i was very sceptical myself but i have eaten my proverbial hat after a bit of beta testing :)

threeps

Fledgling Freddie
As I've not actually played it yet I am only going on information available.

Daoc had a great end game, unmatched thus far (in my opinion as I like pvp). But to get there was one of the biggest ball-aches in gaming history, especially in the early days (getting up at dawn to try and reserve a fins spot anyone?)

WoW and also Lotro made this far more enjoyable by having greater quest systems to aleviate the grind. WAR goes one further by implementing public quests. On top of that you can level up by doing rvr, which is great!

So there, WAR beats daoc when it comes to leveling up your character.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie
As I've not actually played it yet I am only going on information available.

Daoc had a great end game, unmatched thus far (in my opinion as I like pvp). But to get there was one of the biggest ball-aches in gaming history, especially in the early days (getting up at dawn to try and reserve a fins spot anyone?)

WoW and also Lotro made this far more enjoyable by having greater quest systems to aleviate the grind. WAR goes one further by implementing public quests. On top of that you can level up by doing rvr, which is great!

So there, WAR beats daoc when it comes to leveling up your character.

You can level up in daoc rvr now aswell :p but that was a good answer. I'll try it out, once it goes live 2 weeks from now.

Popov

Fledgling Freddie
Surprise surprise.

I was going to reply to this obvious troll but decided against it, join date 22nd July 2008 yet played DAoC all those years nice try WoW fanboi.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie
I was going to reply to this obvious troll but decided against it, join date 22nd July 2008 yet played DAoC all those years nice try WoW fanboi.

First legendary fletcher on excal/alb. If you actually played, you would probably know me.

I really hated wow - that's why i still play daoc on US lancelot/hib/alb (idiot).

... I can see the kids already mingled to Warhammer. This is gonna be so much fun! Free realmpts!

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
Well, i agree that WAR has alot in common with WoW (sadly), however it still has slightly more potential for RvR. I have played both quite alot.

Really if there was active DAoC servers i would probably play DAoC over WAR, since i think it has less random factors and more variables required to learn in order to succeed in RvR (in short, WAR is a little too simple gameplay for me).

Sadly however, i would really have loved if Mythic put their expertise in trying to develop something new, instead of just importing alot of gameplay from wow, and a little from other games.

Like someone else said, its mainly PQ and ToK that is something "new"(in terms of gameplay), and for me ToK is as much content as the "guarantee-papers" you get when you buy a new mouse or keyboard lol (something you never read, and it just produces trash)

However, looking at how much DAoC evolved, i hope that WAR can evolve at a same rate, then the game could become really good after a year or so. (sadly tho, it seems that they have not quite learned their misstakes concering balanceing classes/pvp, or if they have then this have not been a major goal sofar)

// btw i think i remember exping my Armsman "Rvn" or my sorc "sorusi" with you at trees in lyonesse cowled ;)

Effex

Fledgling Freddie
Now I like WoW a lot and I'd be the 1st to say if I thught WAR was a pure clone but I cant agree with that at all:

PvP that makes a difference to your realm when you win - nothing like that in WoW

Able to level in PvP only(not even an armour grind) - nothing like that in WoW

Huge strategic battles - sure beats AV over and over and over.....

a massive RvR playing field - i think i could naviagte all WoW BG's with my eyes closed.

Classes built specificaly for PvP - WoW's classes where built for PvE and are now being adapted for PvP(Arena) and its not working look at hunter and druid arena stats in wow to see.

Keep takes - sounds silly but I really miss them from my daoc days :)

Guilds that grow - dont think this have ever been done before and somthing I cant wait to see in action.

ToK - WoW is already trying to copy it, think thats all that needs to be said.

RvR is built in PvE leveling also with PQ helping your realm etc. - nothing like that in WoW.

Now I guess you could say well the screen looks the same and the way u cast spells is a bit similar but hell you could have said the same of WoW with regeards to DAOC. I'm sold on WAR I've tried it in beta, I know its the best MMORPG Ive played to date, and I just cant wait till release!

Ardwan

Fledgling Freddie
Now THAT'S a good answer. I agree, that we hope it'll be DAoC II.

But lots of things aren't going to be the same: You are going to pvp vs. other servers, as i see it. Which sucks. You wont know and "fear" the famous guilds (nolby pride comes to mind), of your own server.

... along with lots of other stuff.

Why expect it to be DAoC II when Mythic clearly stated from the beginning that this is not going to be DAoC II?

And where do you get that we'll be PvP versus other servers? And I'm 99% certain that there will be plenty of "famous" guilds around in WAR, especially with the claiming of keeps similar to DAoC - but you actually get benefits this time round, the higher level your guild is, the more benefits you get.

What does WAR do better than DAoC? The entire PvE side of things is miles ahead.
The RvR doesn't have Mez - Which puts it firmly ahead of DAoC (Unless you're one of the "organised" twinked groups that expect to be able to kill the entire zerg)

Gahn

Resident Freddy
You didn't even tested it and yet you come out with the old refrain of the wow clone.
I can't really see the point of the thread bar trolling.
Play it, then come back with 1st hand impressions and eventually trash it, is simple as that really.

Venge

Loyal Freddie
a WoW clone?

Depends on your definition of WoW clone. If you mean a WoW clone just like WoW was a clone, in a way, of MMORPGs that came before it, then you are probably right: it has an interface, 3D graphics, combat styles & hotbars...

Other than that, and while I had huge doubts on the project before I actually tried it, I personally found something that I only felt in DAoC, some kind of Mythic touch on how the game played, and didn't find in WoW. It's not DAoC 2 but it's, to me, a LOT closer to DaoC than WoW, which is a goodie good thing in my book :)

That said, it's not DAoC 2, that's for sure, but you can clearly see when you play it where Mythic is coming from...

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Cowledscout, do you not think you might get a better answer if you went about things a little more politely?

Hoping people with this mentality steer clear of whatever servers we go so WAR has a nice community instead of a confontational one.

Each to their own I guess.

partyanimal

Fledgling Freddie
Surprise surprise.

there are no observations in this post...
so are you blind or out of words?

i would add the lack of community in wow... char transfer, no alliances, instances, joining and leaving bgs anytime and ppl always on different quest...

wow is a single player game with a giant chat room
even endgame raid is pointless... i stopped before tbc to avoid disenchanting some sets of armor

Mithradir

Loyal Freddie
Surprise surprise.

Warhammer has a few things in common concerning the pve with wow but not that much as you might think. It has nothing ofc in common concerning the rvr (thank god). I used to play daoc for more than 4 years and my biggest mistake was to change for wow.
The whole idea of raid raid raid to get loot and then new expansion here we go again makes me puke. In fact i feel the same when i see anything wowish atm, even the signatures of some guys here where they post their wow chars. I will not say anything more concerning wow vs war since it is meaningless. Whoever loves pve dont come to warhammer since wow is the best game for it. Whoever likes rvr try warhammer for sure.
Concerning your other question, warhammer aint daoc. It is an evolution of daoc. Good or bad we ll see it in the future but one thing is for sure. You cant compare a newly released game with a game that exists for more than 4 years.
Closing the only thing i can say to you is that since you are a daoc lover and you hate wow, you should definately try warhammer for more than a week. You will not hate it that's a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom