Advice So, this Kodi malarkey

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Further too my "fucking off to Spain" thread it seems that getting good (English) TV coverage could be a pain. I've looked at a couple of options and Kodi seems quite good. Might also be useful here now, for some channels I haven't got.
Can I install Kodi on my Android phone and use that to watch on a TV? (I've already got the stuff to mirror my phone screen to TV) Is Kodi Chromecast compatible? That would be handy. Are there any particular must have add ons?
Is there a better alternative?

Gracias amigos!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Add ons you *should* have are Genesis and Phoenix as far as free goes. If you want footy past what Phoenix offers you look on Ebay for NBC sports accounts, they are roughly £20 for a year and that gives you all Saturday 3pm in HD through Kodi.

There is a Kodi configurator on the Play Store now, go and have a little search for it and all will be revealed, I think that app installs everything for you and does all the hard work. If you can't find it give me a shout but I'm pretty sure it's there and it's free :)

If it works on the Fire Stick I am pretty sure it will work on CC but I have never used one so won't stake my balls on it.

Edit - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kodi.configurator&hl=en_GB

Also you get the UK Sky TV channels through Phoenix but the quality is somewhat ropey on many of them, the best way would be to get an entertainent account off Ebay but further reading would be needed but I will help you when needed you manky old fucker :eek:

Edit 2 - https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/stream-video-from-kodi-xbmc-to-chromecast.263685/

Trem

I should of added that NBC sports gives you many sports including rugby, cricket (IIRC) and not just football. Other paid add-ons to look out for are stuff like NTV but that is a monthly pay thing that is quite dear. I would get up and running, see what you think of stuff through Phoenix then take it from there. If it all becomes too much to bear you could always shell out some money for a proper IPTV box with a subscription (Mag 254 etc).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Further too my "fucking off to Spain" thread it seems that getting good (English) TV coverage could be a pain. I've looked at a couple of options and Kodi seems quite good. Might also be useful here now, for some channels I haven't got.
Can I install Kodi on my Android phone and use that to watch on a TV? (I've already got the stuff to mirror my phone screen to TV) Is Kodi Chromecast compatible? That would be handy. Are there any particular must have add ons?
Is there a better alternative?

Gracias amigos!

I'd recommend a reliable (e.g. paid) VPN. That way you'll be able to access all the UK players without the flakiness of Hola or whatever. Its a borderline proposition for me because I can get a lot of UK broadcast TV in Ireland anyway, but as far away as Spain it would be worth it. NB. You can still get UK telly but the move to Astra 2E meant you need a really big dish, but I think Astra 2G might be increasing the footprint again.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Thanks for all the info.
I'm going to install on my phone and play around a bit. I'm sure I'll be back for more info.
I'm only really bothered about the main UK terrestrial channels and Sky 1 etc, Sky Atlantic, Eurosport and BT Sport. Not at all interested in footy, bunch of poofs.
Where we are looking to move (Murcia region) reports are that Sky is working OK on a sub 1m dish with some loss of signal late at night/early morning. Which is good as on the Costa del Sol they need 2m+ dishes which cost a fortune. Sky don't allow reception in Spain so it's a case of buying a sub, there are loads of companies down there selling them. I'm looking to do this on the cheap though as I really can't see us watching much telly. I might even rely on torrents. Even when it's a nice night here we tend to sit out until way past dark.

Trem

Oh yeah I forgot about the VPN, you need a decent VPN :)

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I've installed it on my phone and trying to get it configured add "addons" etc, it's full of aids.
Not what I would call user friendly, the keyboard is pathetic on a phone especially with my big fingers :/

Trem

Use a typing wand Homer :eek:

Oh aye it's a ballache at first but stick with it, you'll get there.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Well I've got some addons installed .....
I've only got one wand and I've tried typing with that before and it didn't end well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom