Film So...Kahn Then?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
You couldn't do star trek now. All the crew members in red uniforms would be a lot more savvy than in the 60's and would tell kirk he could stick his "join our away party you'll be perfectly safe" shit.

They'd have their lawyers on his ass....

Kryten

Old Cow.
Looks cracking. Uhura in that red number... mmmmmhmm.
And is that a fucking uber alternate Enterprise or something?

leggy

Probably Scottish
Who would have thought Sherlock Holmes could look so fucking cool? I saw a 10-15 minute 3D trailer for this before the Hobbit at our local IMAX. I should have left after that, as the next 3 hours consisted of a little, fat gay guy walking around.

I loved the reboot and seriously cannot wait for this slice of fucking awesome.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's because it's not really "Star Trek" any more. It's just a pretty action flick.
So wrong, it's totally Trek, spinning things off into another variant of the universe is totally what they do. Anyone who's watched any amount of Trek knows that.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Looks cracking. Uhura in that red number... mmmmmhmm.
And is that a fucking uber alternate Enterprise or something?
I'd imagine it is the "NX" of the Enterprise B or C class of ships looking at it which I guess Mr Harrison steals.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
This film is awesome. No spoilers here, which means I can tell you nothing about the plot (can't be assed with spoiler tags).

Jam packed with references to the various series, some great chuckles (mostly from Scotty).

Good combination of what you expect and playing with what you expect.

Something happened that I've never seen before. In the cinema when the film finished and it went to the closing credits not one person moved from their seats. Not one. Everyone sat for the closing credits. Even during Iron Man 3 when folk know there's gonna be something after the credits, people were up and out. Not for this film.

Cinema packed with happy nerds. Oh hell fucking yes :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
Cumberbatch is my fucking hero. He truly showed the rest of the cast how to act.

Loved the movie (despite the few dodgy plot points which were too small to really complain about)

edit - the IMAX 3D showing was spectacular. And I hate 3D.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Really enjoyed it but OH MY GOD THE FUCKING LENS FLARE! It's a million times worse in IMAX.

Poag

m00?
The misses surprised me with a trip to see this yesterday, figured i'd have t see t on my own as shes nto much a trek fan. 5pm showing so quite empty, near the front seats right in the middle.

She says i barely moved throughout the film. Had to explain the two Spocks paradox tho afterwards. To me lens flare wasn't as bad as the 2009 film, but was certainly more noticeable when it was heavy.

DaGaffer

OK, so I thought about the film last night and...SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET. I'm going to scroll as well so ForumRunner doesn't give it away in the header like it normally does. In fact in case it ignores scroll space - blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah, blah. Right, that should do it.

I'm not going to talk about the big spoiler, but instead "trans-warp beaming". I knew this was going to be trouble when Scotty came up with it in the last film, but now you jump from one star system to another with a device the size of a suitcase...why would you need a starship? Or long range missiles? They need to write in a pretty good reason why this can't be used all the time or they've ruined Star Trek

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Film is fucking awesome. Go see. Go see in IMAX if you can.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Enjoyed it a lot. A cracking action flick. Cumberbatch was very good, I think the secret is his voice, which is great.

Still not proper Star Trek tho.

I *am* going to talk about the big spoiler, but I'm also with DaGaffer on the trans-warping thing - it's a gash idea and is another one of those Looper moments - there are rules in Star Trek and J.J.Abrams doesn't give two fucks about not breaking them in order to further the plot.

He's already stated that he wasn't a Trek fan - and it shows. Spock's far too fucking smiley, he's ruined Gene Rodenberry's future economy (which is the thing that appealed most in an overarching fashion to me - a show with hope), and now he's fucking about with the "science". Boldly breaking things that no Star Trek writer or director has broken before. :eek:

But still a very good action flick :)

I was a bit miffed that they rehashed the Wrath Of Khan stuff - I thought the film was doing very well without it being Khan, but then I suppose it was an easy way out of explaining the bad guy's superhuman powers. I didn't like the warp-chamber rehash (the future-timeline thing means that they didn't have to go there at all, and I found it distracting from the movie - I should be thinking of the film I'm watching when I'm watching a flick, not a film from the 1980's).

And for the love of something supernatural - someone bitch slap Uhura. WTF is she doing having a girl-tantrum in front of the Captain when they're off to war?! Talk about bad female timing! I turned to the missus in the theatre and she was already waiting for me - and simply said "I agree" :)

I'm glad they didn't kill Khan or his buddies off. A future film could easily be that Starfleet dumps the tubes on a "deserted moon" - like Ceti Alpha V ;)

I agree about the IMAX thang too. :)

Edit:
And another thing about Uhura. Why the fuck did they beam her down at the end to shoot Khan? There's any number of better qualified team members to do so - starting with Sulu - who's at least got fighting skills and may be able to duck a punch.

Her part is being way overwritten just to give girls more of a hook in the movie. She's just the fucking comms officer. And a stroppy one at that :eek:

Nichelle Nichols had much more class.

But hey ho :)

Last edited:

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Fuck all of that shit
Where the fuck did McCoy get that tribble from?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fuck all of that shit

Yep. Pulled that out of his ass didn't he!

Don't get me started on Khan's blood :)

DaGaffer

Fuck all of that shit

Yep. Pulled that out of his ass didn't he!

Don't get me started on Khan's blood :)

Well, stuff had obviously been going on since the last film - did you not hear the Mudd reference for instance?. As for the blood thing, a. another maguffin that opens up a world of problems going forward and b. why did they necessarily need Khan alive when they have 72 other supermen sat on ice?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well, stuff had obviously been going on since the last film - did you not hear the Mudd reference for instance?. As for the blood thing, a. another maguffin that opens up a world of problems going forward and b. why did they necessarily need Khan alive when they have 72 other supermen sat on ice?

Missed the Mudd reference (maybe I was out for a piss - I'd been to the pub for "some" beforehand ;)

And yep. I was also annoyed that there were 72 others waiting too...

But who cares about science fiction when we can have so much "emotion" eh? :(

DaGaffer

Missed the Mudd reference (maybe I was out for a piss - I'd been to the pub for "some" beforehand ;)

And yep. I was also annoyed that there were 72 others waiting too...

But who cares about science fiction when we can have so much "emotion" eh? :(

The shuttle they used to go down to Kronos was "confiscated in the Mudd incident last month"

Poag

m00?
The shuttle they used to go down to Kronos was "confiscated in the Mudd incident last month"
Ah i wondered where the shuttle came from, must've missed that line...

As for the 72 others, i figure that Kahns blood must've been specifically required as the other "super" men weren't quite so super.....

Afterall they got the guy out of the tube to put kirk in, otherwse it would have been fairly silly.....silllier.....

Zede

Part of the furniture
Only other sci-fi I can think of were they wore grey military-esque uniforms and peak caps was JJ's next project, with the nazi vibe being intentional..hmm don't think it works in star trek, or is needed !

3d imax ftw. Great movie, especially the blue warp-trails

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Only other sci-fi I can think of were they wore grey military-esque uniforms and peak caps was JJ's next project, with the nazi vibe being intentional..hmm don't think it works in star trek, or is needed !

My missus said exactly that.

DaGaffer

I like Simon Pegg's take on it:
Simon Pegg said:
I had this idea. I think the we might all be the mirror [universe] crew." Perhaps in the third movie, we'll see that "something's going to go to shit, we're all going to turn bad, Spock's going to grow a beard, and we're going to meet ourselves. That could happen.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Spock's far too fucking smiley

Watch the very first episode of TOS, you'll see Spock do that a lot. Nothing new about it, hopefully his character will mature. Star Trek The Motion Picture was the point at which Spock became "Spock".

Boldly breaking things that no Star Trek writer or director has broken before. :eek:

What, like men wearing skirts? Good idea Gene...

Why the fuck did they beam her down at the end to shoot Khan?

Because she was the only one who could get through to him. He was a bit miffed.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Can anyone explain to me what exactly happened in that film. Just got back from it, I understood everything (good and bad) but wtf actually happens? I don't know why I liked it. Very pretty film, but i found it a bit.. Lacking somewhere? Could have sat for another hour though. (So confused right now)

Bloody fucking obvious they're going to make a 3rd one though, the amount of "OMG THERE'S MATERIAL FOR THE NEXT FILM" was hilarious.

Everz

FH is my second home
Well since I've never got Star Trek in my life and have no idea of any of the backstory, I thought this was a pretty amazing film. Credit where credit is due in my opinion.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Can anyone explain to me what exactly happened in that film. Just got back from it, I understood everything (good and bad) but wtf actually happens? I don't know why I liked it. Very pretty film, but i found it a bit.. Lacking somewhere? Could have sat for another hour though. (So confused right now)

Bloody fucking obvious they're going to make a 3rd one though, the amount of "OMG THERE'S MATERIAL FOR THE NEXT FILM" was hilarious.

cumbersnatch kahn thought the feds had killed his fellow superhumans, so he decided to kill the feds during that meeting, but the feds hadn't actually killed his kin, but instead ended up in torpedoes that were put on board the enterprise to fire at kahn.....or something..tenuous plot at best. And they had transwarp travel, something only the Borg had in the Next Generation, so expect klingon/borg as next 2 movies :p

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

3d imax ftw. Great movie, especially the blue warp-trails

The uniforms reminded me of Stingray :)

Stingray_Crew.jpg

Despsite the Trek Universe story line fails I liked the movie. BC was awesome as Khan, stole every scene.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Saw it today, thought Cumberbath stole the show, especially his little speach when he was in the prison chamber thingy and the tears running down his face, brilliant

Loved that Simon Pegg had a lot more to do in it, but my only gripe was.....

WHO THE FUCK CAST ALICE EVE!!! she can't fucking act for fucking toffee. If it was just for eye candy then i'm sure they could have found someone else, she was dire

The best bit though
Spock screaming 'KHAN!!!!!' when Kirk dies, brilliant

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
...and

the whole thing with Spock asking his older self for advice is a bit butterfy effect-ey, isn't it?

Still thought it was great though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom