smite clerics

I

Ialkarn

I think ppl should be less proud and more flexible:
Of course if you join a full group of tanks as only cleric you should only Heal/Stun (and mezz just in case..) also if you are a smiter cleric;or what should do a polearmsman when his group meet a fg of mids?go for Trolls instead of Nukers/healers cause is he a tank killer?
If you think heal boring or you wanna do what you want well I think you should Solo only ,cause play in a group require sacrifice,and when a group get a cleric espect to get an healer and not an extra nuker and its hard have more than 2 clerics in the same group.
Personally I consider hibrids (ye ye gimped clerics) better than full smiters or full reyv/enhanc clerics cause they can be offensive and difensive at same time;but I have a better feeling whit reyv clerics cause they have a better attitude.
Smiters cant heal ?well I doubt a bard properly speced can be a better healer than a 23 reyv cleric(I wonder if they whine like our healers),and I see every days bard 's heals decide the result of a battle.
It 's incredible how many things a cleric can do..but some of them want simple nerf themself before the time.

p.s.
Yes sometimes I play as cleric.

V

Vorcyn

Ok so lets break this down:

From what i've read your saying;

If you want to play a rejuv friar, play a cleric

If you want to play a smite cleric, play a wizard

Thats the overall basis of it. Now you tell me in all honesty how that is not telling people how to play the way YOU want them to play and not how they want to play.

I play a cleric, and am aiming for the 44, 26, 16 (s,r,e) spec for 1.52. Now to say that i am incapable of healing and keeping people alive is a load of bollocks to be perfectly honest. I have been playing since beta, and have NEVER been told that i should be healing when i was smiting or that my healing sucked, infact its the opposite, people have commented on my excellent healing and my ability to keep them alive as well as how nice my buffs are.

From what i've read, anyone who hasn't played a cleric, has no idea, they just enjoy agreeing with the mass population: "Nerf smite", "Wizzy in chain" etc. So before you go insulting the whole of the cleric population about how they are constantly smiting and never healing when they should be, maybe you should step back and take a proper look, then play a cleric yourself up to the high 40's, and then come back and voice your opinion, because at the moment, we couldnt care less what you think, and i don't believe clerics are going to stop playing the way they want to play, just because some people believe they know everything about every class and how everyone should play without playing that class themselves to a suitable level.

I

Ialkarn

Originally posted by Vorcyn

From what i've read, anyone who hasn't played a cleric, has no idea, they just enjoy agreeing with the mass population: "Nerf smite", "Wizzy in chain" etc. So before you go insulting the whole of the cleric population about how they are constantly smiting and never healing when they should be, maybe you should step back and take a proper look, then play a cleric yourself up to the high 40's, and then come back and voice your opinion, because at the moment, we couldnt care less what you think, and i don't believe clerics are going to stop playing the way they want to play, just because some people believe they know everything about every class and how everyone should play without playing that class themselves to a suitable level.

Good advice!

http://www.duskwave.com/daoc/characters.php

Vorcyn Lomaxus
Server Excalibur
Realm Albion
Last On Recently
Race Highlander
Class Cleric
Level 45
Guild Humberton Guard
Guild Rank 6
Realm Points 8,304 (Last week: 0)
Realm Rank Warder (RR2)
Rank 2834
In-realm Rank 1198
Class Rank 235
Trade armorcraft
Points 119

C

ChillyDawg

I cant be bothered to go back up and fin out who said it, but whoever it was was talking crapola. A cleric (currently) specced high in smite,(im 44 and have 35+9 in smite) can do a shit load of damage, on a typical yellow i do around 350+ damage, now as far as i know, thats more than pretty much any melleé style (bar infil PA etc..) and on an undead target there is (i think) around 25% damage bonus, THATS why you see lightning flying around in the barrows and other dungeons because i can match a wizard, or body spec Mage with my damage. At THE SAME time as having 35+9 smite, i have 26 rejuve and 19 enhance, this allows me to very nicely buff a grp and keep the buggers alive, while doing appreachible damage. In a small grp if there are adds, i can mez them for 30 seconds, stun em and smite em b4 they even touch the xxx doing the main damage, saving ME a lot of healin (becuase healing uses about 5 times more power than smiting)

I understand why people whine about smiting when i should be healing, but VERY rarely do i get complaints about it. Although i am the guild gimp for being a smite cleric, i am pretty proud of it, and am not sure i will respec to full rejuve/enhance unless rejuve is made a bit more practical. At 24 or 25 rejuve you get a group instant heal, fully charged i can heal for about 1200HPs instantly and then do 450+ heals continously for about a minute before my power is gone, i may be gimped having a high smite spec, but i sure as hell can heal.

<breath out>

<breath in>

Anyway, chemistry coursework to do, bugger off.

K

K0nah

Originally posted by old.ghengis
if anyone doesnt like it...dont group with me.
see if i give a damn.

^ Mythic made the mistake of making the cleric "uber" and it attracted the wrong kinda ppl to play the class.

Yes the "iwannabeuber" crowd will respec as buffbots or quit. And the new ppl who play clerics will play them because THEY enjoy a support role. Albions RvR performance will be far better for it. Saying healing doesnt get u rps is total bullshit. Try grping and keepin ur grp alive/mezzing/stunning and yes even smiting where needed and the rps will flow like a river. The number of 3l33t smit4rz!!1 i see standing facing an incoming zerg trying to get a smite off and being constantly interupted is frankly hilarious. RvR aint mobs, they have brains and some of them even use em.

Wizards in chain? Nope, Wizards with no Quickcast, no Bolts and less damage.

B

bf_kate

Guys I am pretty sure most of us are talking about RvR and not PvE. Smite clerics are often fine for keeping a group alive in PvE.

Tig - I think it would be a bit much if heals covered as much as dmg. The point is that you keep the person you're healing going while they kill the person they are fighting. It doesn't need to be equal. That said, I have no problem keeping up with a tank or a chain wearer if I am not under attack. But I have the same conditions for healing as say a nuker has for nuking (LoS, interuptions etc). I don't think healing is gimped. The better range will be nice though. I disagree about stun being different for rejuv and smite. If you're really using the cleric mez as cc, well you're in trouble. I use my stun to stop things attacking casters, to assist tanks, to stop archers, etc. The mez breaking situation is rare. My mez is mainly to keep shit off me, but this works less and less with determination and high spirit resists. Smite cleric is a bit gimped in RvR IMO, but it's just my opinion :) Again, the nerfs were due to Smite Clerics being over powered in PvE, not RvR.

Konah - Point taken but you're kidding yourself if you think more people are going to suddenly role rejuvs. The nerfs to smite clerics wont change the number of rejuv clerics in rvr much I think - in fact it might reduce it. I for one am a bit nervous that I won't have fun anymore and if I don't, then I won't play.

T

Tigerius

As Ialkarn says, gimped spec is lovely. I myself got 39S/25R/27E, I don't at all count myself as a Smite cleric but I will defend the playstyle I use that is far from your personal healer. Your mentality is that a smite Clerics only use DDs and since a Wizard does that better one should choose them for it instead. I couldn't disagree more, with Clerics you get staying power and versatility.
In my mind a great group has an offensive and defensive Cleric, where my spec is far more suited to offensive but in my mind not too gimped to not try defensive.

As offensive Clerics the playstyle is:
Buffing
Rezzing
Simple/vital heals (all depending on situation)
Sprinting head on into enemy groups to interrupt and/or mez.
Once at other side of enemy group, turn, deal with the casters right in front of me. (give or take depending on enemy tanks awareness) Stunning to break mez, then DDing them to guarantee that they are killed/crippled before stun breaks. (can't always rely on our nukers getting them targeted)
Once through the casters, chuck a couple of heals the way they seem needed and then proceed to Stun/DD fighting enemy targets or in lack of those mezzed enemy targets.
Failing that, mezzing oncoming tanks or otherwise just keep em busy.
Meeling to interrupt once OOP or continually interrupted.

Role a Wizard can perform? No. You've yourself proven your lack of versatility and staying power by pointing out that you need a good healer stuck to yourself just to survive.

There are benefits to most classes and most specs, and the only class coming to mind providing a similar offensive role is Skald. I agree that pure support Clerics are great to have, I would want 1 in every group, but I do sure as hell not think it's exclusive with an offensive.

Oh and just to point out, I don't find support boring at all. I agree it should be part of why you choose the class. I've played full support for 50 levels thank you :) I however do NOT find it fun to have people playing other classes decide the one and only way that I may play and I don't think RvR is very friendly to healing.

T

Tigerius

Kate: I know the goal is only to keep said person alive for enough time until the rest of the group has dispatched the target. It works I know that :) it IS a emergency solution and sometimes the efforts are wasted. LoS and range is same as for attackers correct, but with the vital difference that an attacker can pick whichever targets happens to be in front of him at the time but a Cleric has to pick the specific one out of 7. Also your action is reactive not active, your window of oppertunity closes if you fail to find your target fast whereas an attacker is just slightly useless for a few seconds should the same happen to him.
As for using Cleric CC, the mez is definately just a desperate action but the Stun is Albions only castable Stun and like it or not but IMO you can't go without it.

One more thing for Wildfire, I've keeled enough groups without my group taking a single point. Don't tell me it's inevitable.

M

Moody

One of the alts I'm leveling is a Cleric. rejuv/enh. I can recommend everyone to play one too because it made me respect Clerics a lot more than I did when playing my tank. Being a Cleric is NOT easy. And most abuse you get is from people who have no idea what it is to play one. (I was like that too in my early days and not ashamed to admit it)

My intention is to play him as support class. And only 2 things bother me. As stated above, smiting costs less power than healing. That's insane because they are forcing Clerics in a pure support class, like a Mid healer is. Secondly, since the mezz is in the smite spec line, a rejuv/enh spec Cleric gets only a very short duration mezz and added to that it has a lightyear timer on it.

About healing in rvr, since you suddenly seem a lot softer than in pve (you are hit by a yellow con enemy like you would be hit by a purp in pve) I think being average in rejuv wont cut it. I can be wrong here, I will soon find out (He's BG level now :))

A

Aussie-

If I remember correctly smite dmg gets nerfed for 25% right?

So A full Smite cleric that did 500 dmg will do 375 now right?
for a Chainwearing class that supposed to be a support! class ...

stun of 9 sec combined with 2sec castspeed of Smite allows you to smite him 4 times for ~375 and then you have a instamez left to smite him again a couple of times.

Tell me where i'm wrong but if i'm correct you're just a bunch of whiners.

B

bf_kate

Tig, the mini group window makes it pretty easy ;) I think we agree basically.

K

K0nah

Originally posted by bf_kate
Konah - Point taken but you're kidding yourself if you think more people are going to suddenly role rejuvs.

Pure rejuv isnt the way forward, tri-spec is. Rejuv/Enhance/Smite all about equal depending on whats best value. Smite has its place, but clerics who think they make better killers than Wizards are wrong and gimping thier other spec lines to boot. The pbaoe mezz and some offensive ability is essential to a cleric imo.

32 enhance 36 rejuv 24 smite for example.

O

old.Wildfire

"32 enhance 36 rejuv 24 smite looks good to me"

I'll second that.

V

Vorcyn

32 enhance 36 rejuv 24 smite looks good to me.

Roll a cleric with that spec then.

stun of 9 sec combined with 2sec castspeed of Smite allows you to smite him 4 times for ~375 and then you have a instamez left to smite him again a couple of times.

First of all, show me where there is a 2 second smite cast speed, because i sure as hell havn't seen one, we have a 3 second (base line) and 4 second (spec line) dd spells. And remember, base line will not do as much damage as spec.
Next, after we have supposedly smited this poor fellow 4 times for 375 damage a shot, not taking into account spirit resists, (oh you forgot about them did you?), we have to wait for him to get into range of us to cast our amazing insta mes, which would probably last about 20 secs max depending on how close he is to us, and then smite another couple of times, without being interupted?

Righto.. :rolleyes:

but clerics who think they make better killers than Wizards are wrong and gimping thier other spec lines to boot.

Did we say that we outdamage wizards or want to? Because i can't see where anyone did. I for one am playing the cleric, because that is the class i chose, thats the class i will continue to play and it is the class that i will decide to spec how i like, because i enjoy it, not because i want to outdamage a wizard, i would be playing one if i wanted to be one.

B

bf_kate

Higher rejuv (40-45) will be very good next patch I think.
I was thinking about 42 rejuv 30 enhan 18 smite. I really like my spec now even though I know I am really gimped :p

LMAO aussie if your damage was nerfed 25% you would be whining too. Your calculations are wrong but I can't be arsed to explain why to you cause you don't really care, you're just trolling.

F

feldeshadowbane

I agree on much of what has been said here but here's a fact:
For those who have played a cleric with decent smite and enjoyed it immensly the 1.52 patch will be a real killer. It does not matter much if he/she can respec to a rejuve or enhance cleric, it will still not be the same.
People say "hey, you can still smite" but hey, lets face it. Who wants to smite when you lose 25% of the damage you did before (wich wasn't all that uber to begin with. Too much damage for a support class maybe but not uber).
And a last thing: the cleric's instamez. Our last line of defence getting that timer removes the last shred of wisdom of putting points into smite. Without instamez = clerics getting killed faster = group getting killed faster. Yeah, we can stun but we can only stun 1 at the time and the cast time isn't the fastest out there either.

Just my oppinion/ Felde

A

Aussie-

well all my info is based on what Noret told me. he said full smite clerics do 500dmg, combined with good buffs your smite will be ~2secs castime

A

Aussie-

Originally posted by bf_kate

LMAO aussie if your damage was nerfed 25% you would be whining too. .

i'm not a support class.

T

Tigerius

Sorry Aussie but good buffs don't cut cast-time from 4 seconds to 2 seconds, especially not for a class with low dex to begin with.

Oh and Aussie the spec you need to get 500 base damage on DDs will make you far less of a support class. You could spec a Warden or Bard 50 melee and then go "omg look at the damage they do for a support class" but you are then missing the vital fact that the person has chosen to sacrifice alot of his support power for this. Wardens and Bards even have x1.5 spec so it must be less of a sacrifice for them.

Interesting science experiment there, have a Hero spec 50 melee and compare his damage to a Bard or Warden with 50 melee.

H

Herbal Remedy

Originally posted by old.Wildfire

Best clerics I know are Noret and Kate. People should take lessons from them because they have an insane ability to keep their groups alive in combat.

right thats it pally type rezzs for you from now on wiffle ;)

rejuv rocks trust me i know if your left alone other groups (mids and hibs) are screwed

stun helps loads as well especially when used on those elf fuckers :p

tbh smite clerics just cant keep there groups alive anything around 23 rejuv sucks they dont have big spec heals and the smaller heals just dont heal enough

and for those gimps who like to qoute stats

Herbal Remedy 602,314 last week 54,618

so i have an idea of what im talking about

<--- herbal remedey albions 1st rejuv cleric

the mezz nerf took the piss a 5 min timer on basically the only thing that stops you getting waked takes the piss its like putting caster qc for root and mezz on a 5 min timer

ps kate is teh sexeh unheard of gankage can be done when we me and kate get together only two weeks ago me and kate plus group took out 2.5 fg hibs who jumped us :)

/edit AND I AINT NO F$$KERS BUFFBOT!!!!

D

dakeyras

Re: Starsnuffer

Originally posted by starsnuffer
To the idiot up who said

rolfmao how many games you played...

Name me 1 simple fucking game where a cleric is a powerful caster pls...And dont give me fucking DIablo

/

No..never played diablo..I only play reputable RPG's.

As for naming you one single game. How about BG, BG2, PoR2, in fact any AD&D game released. Infact, any D&D game be it pen and paper or on the PC. Clerics have always been tremendous damage dealers...and they wear plate.

And...what was your name? aah Starsnurfer or something...never heard of you. Who are you?

Oh...and BTW. The use of foul language on these boards betrays both your age and lack of intelligence. If you struggle to express yourself without resorting to the use of foul language let me know and i will put you in touch with some self-help groups. In the the meantime..please refrain.

I

Ialkarn

Originally posted by Herbal Remedy

ps kate is teh sexeh unheard of gankage can be done when we me and kate get together only two weeks ago me and kate plus group took out 2.5 fg hibs who jumped us :)

Yes but it was a BlackFalcons group !!!
(Alithiel was in the group too :p)

K

Kcinimodus

Disclaimer :p :I'm not gonna get in any flaming or something, just expressing my opinion. And I think everyone should spec a class the way they want, so I'm not saying how you should play :).

Started a cleric some months ago, because I hadn't tried a heal class yet, and we were forming an uber guild noob xp group :) (don't ask). I'm currently specced 35 rejuv, 30 enhanc and 9 smite, and going for 40 rejuv, 35 ehanc and 9 smite when I get to 50 (I'm 45 atm).

Why 40 rejuv? Gives you good healing abilities (it seems to me, with more rejuv heals take less power, and don't heal more (except for the specline heals offcourse)), and it will get me the uberrez. And it's not that I don't like healing, I get a kick from keeping a group alive when things go beserk, I find smiting boring, just click on the mob who has dmg and click on a button as fast as possible :p. That's my opinion anyway, if you like smiting please do so :).
Why 35 enhanc? I'm not gonna be someone's buffbot, but it will give the group an edge. Good stats rock ;).
Why 9 smite? For the insta mezz only actually, which is good for defense, if some annoying tank gets onto me I just mezz, stun, and let the group finish him off. Stun is BASEline specced, not specline, so putting more points into smite won't get you better stuns.

I haven't rvr alot with my cleric yet, still got much to learn, but I feel this spec will make me most valuable in rvr and pve. I'm not a rvr-minded guy, I only like guild grps in odin actually, I hate emain :p.

O

old.Wildfire

and herbal! and herbal! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: noooooooo plz not teh pally rez :m00: :m00:

K

kirennia

Just got an account here so I could put my opinion on the subject. Please note that yes it is just an opinion and I do not wish to get any flames for it, just wish that I am heard out.

I myself am i kinda healer/smiter hybrid...I can deal quite a large amount of damage, I can mezz, stun, and heal for 426 with possibilty of crit for 900. A good spec IMO is 27 rej, 15 enh, 44 smite casue lets face it, enh r plain boring, i can heal for a large amount and 44 smite is pretty heavy. Anyone who has grouped with me will know that yes I can heal well, yes I can do the damage where necessary and yes I can stop a few people using mezz from getting places where they r less desirably going to sneak into if not stopped ;-)

This imo is a nice spec, I have lvled upto 50 without this in mind and meerly stumbled on it by mistake through starting on day 1 of retail. People telling me to respec doesnt get me in flames, I am willing to listen to others opinions whenever they are put forward unless uncalled for. We all make mistakes, we can all hit smite button instead of heal once in a while and vice versa but will still strive on to becoming better at playing our char all-in-all through making such mistakes. Different situations do call for different measures. I rely on each char in the group to best weigh up the odds b4 clicking to perform an action and if it goes wrong, so be it, it was a mistake. Obviously repetition of silly mistakes is damn annoying and I get frustrated as will any other human being but as it stands, mistakes can b made. If I am only char capable of healing in a group, I will heal to the best of my ability. If weve got 3 clerics in the group, we see who is best at smiting and weigh it up accordingly.

The matter in hand is seeing if smite clerics r any good. Imo yes they r good but the comparison to other chars is not really right. They r not wizzies in chain as wizzies merely buff and deal severe damage. Clerics buff too, deal less dmg at a greatly reduced range, mezz and stun enemies (and lets not forget heal). It like comparing a tank to an inf merely becasue they both deal damage. We do less damage but if we r first to land a dmg type spell, we r the first targetted thus making casters lives a lot easier as they wont have enemies charging em straight off. We can acheive a similar effect through healing the caster but lets face it, a caster who can b 2 hit killed isnt gonna stand much chance even when being healed apart from to take up a large amount of clerics mana straight off. The way I overcome this is to stun the enemy or mezz em or if they low on health, smite em to death.

The point of my rants is a kinda live and let live thing. Help those with less knowledge to strive, teach em in a nice way but don't whatever you do TELL them what they MUST do. It creates tension and breaks friendships and in the longrun, doesn't help anyone. Another point of saying that smite clerics r gimps when it comes to dealing damage, well previous posts have said that smite damage is too high. It's being gimped. Well thats a lot of use when it comes to rvr isn't it ;-) making your team mates worse off. The fact is that smite wasnt too heavy damage, it was pretty much perfect. It did the damage but what people seem to forget is that, no it doesnt do as much damage as a wizard. No you can't cast it even nearly as fast, yes it does take up more mana and by god has it got a reduced range. The game isn't all about dealing damage, it's a balance...a balance which is going to be lost very soon from people telling others how to spec their char, them not 'doing as they were told' and so people whining on here...GOA now think clerics r too uber so they r being nerfed. scouts have been nerfed...minstrels slightly nerfed...cabbies r being nerfed...clerics r on the line (prob forgotten some) and it's down to whining. Well what's next I ask? I would like to think it's going to b a nice overpowered hibernian class but instead its probably going to be another poor albion class who lets face it, didnt really need a nerf anyways.

As for the flaming, please don't, and don't assume everything thats said on here at face value, it's words so emotions cant b put into it and misinterpretations r easy to get.

My 2p

K

K0nah

Originally posted by kirennia
A good spec IMO is 27 rej, 15 enh, 44 smite casue lets face it, enh r plain boring

Ive grpd with u Kir and I know u do a good job, but honestly which do u think helps ur grp more, good buffs or bit higher smite?

F

Flimgoblin

A cleric not healing is like a fire wizard not using his roots :)
They can be useful, depends on the situation.

The main gripe against smite clerics is against people that do not know what they're doing - if you smite till you're dry and let your group die and lose the battle because of it ... that was probably a bad call :)

If you spec smite high and do some damage to your enemy, killing one, weakening another, then slide in a group heal to keep those tanks alive, win the battle...

Versatility is the key to a cleric (in my humble opinion :) I'm not high enough level to be preaching really ;))

There are situations where having full rejuv would be better - so much damage that the 26 spec won't cope... but there are also situations that a 39 or a 44 spec smite cleric would handle far better than their 9 spec rejuv brothers/sisters.

I guess the point of my ramble is: There is no wrong way to spec a character. You'll have your strengths and weaknesses, but at the end of the day it's your character. If people won't group with you because you've not specced the way _they_ want, I'd go find some new friends :)

Now, where did I leave my GTAE - need to lob some shells at that silly firewiz ;)

M

mcdonalds

Re: Starsnuffer

Originally posted by starsnuffer
To the idiot up who said

rolfmao how many games you played...

Name me 1 simple fucking game where a cleric is a powerful caster pls...And dont give me fucking DIablo

/

AD&D :p

B

bf_kate

Originally posted by K0nah

Ive grpd with u Kir and I know u do a good job, but honestly which do u think helps ur grp more, good buffs or bit higher smite?

Not directed at me, but I am gonna answer anyhow. High smite cause I wouldn't be playing a cleric without the fun of smite. It's not my idea of fun to be a buffbot. I mean it has to be the most boring spec line in the game. You get to make others more powerful - you can't even buff your own main stat ffs. Maybe that is selfish, but I couldn't play day in and day out to buff other people. Healing is fun, smiting is fun, stunning and mezzing is fun - buffing is :sleeping:

Yes helping your group to stay alive is important, but you have to be having fun or you will just quit playing the char.

Plus there are more buffbots everyday :p

Users who are viewing this thread