Advice Smarter coffee machine & Google home

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I got a smarter coffee machine (gen 1) a while back and a Google home speaker at Christmas.
As the coffee machine is older it doesn't support Google home. so is there any way of connecting them up or am I stuck using the app until I get a new machine?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I'm interested in this also. It's irritating they aren't updating the firmware on the series 1. I'm not going to splurge on a new machine just for it to work with Google.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
2nd Gen will work with Google, Amazon and iTTT. Can't find anything to make 1st gen work apart from the app.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I was thinking along those lines Tom but from what I can gather it would only power up the coffee machine not make it run a brew cycle?

What I don't understand is why the app can't link to to Google home to start the cycle when I can tell Google to start my washing machine once it's turned on manually via the washing machines app.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You have an app for a washing machine. Surely you have to be there to put the clothes in so why not turn it on while there?

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Yes you have to put the washing in then add the soap powder. Then turn it on and enable smart control, at that point I can walk away and tell Google to start my washing. It might well be pointless but you have to admit it's pretty cool

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yup pointless lol. I wonder how much extra that functionality cost to add in.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
The point is the washing machine can do it but the coffee machine can't. I don't understand why. (other than trying to con me in to buying another coffee machine).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The coffee machine was manufactured to a different standard to the washing machine and therefore missed the boat.

Bit like beta max and vhs. You bet on the wrong machine when you bought.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
what are you referring too then?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I would guess that its sad that you are setting an app to make coffee.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I would suggest that making stupid comments when someone asks for advice is sadder.

Thanks for your input btw Tom

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Oh thats just the joy of forums. Wouldnt be any fun if there was no banter

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Sorry i should have elaborated but i just couldn't be arsed at the time. What i was referring to was that there actually is a coffee machine you can control with phone apps.

Why would you? What's the practical benefit?

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Not that I have to justify my purchases to anyone, but ...

I wanted a bean to cup coffee machine and the smarter machine allowed me to buy one without having to sell a kidney. The app was a happy bonus that allows me to start the machine without getting out of bed so when I get up there is a hot pot of coffee waiting for me. or it can start as I pull up in the driveway and start brewing before I even get through the front door should I choose.

As for the washing machine, I wanted a high end washer with a long guarantee as I was fed up of getting cheap washers every couple of years.

Now I have a Google home why wouldn't I want them all connected and save fooking about with a load of apps?

Or if we followed your response to it's logical end we could ask " Internal combustion engine, what's the point when a horse and cart work fine?"

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not really cause the car gets us from a to b much faster than we could otherwise do.

I put water in the machine and coffee beans and i hit the make coffee button. Or put the washing in the machine and hit wash the fecking clothes.

Not much of a saving there.

I got an lg direct drive washer ten years ago still going strong. Dont need to go high end to get that.

And the apps for coffee as you wake up see teasmaids or teas mades. And see how they have lasted :)

JBP|

Part of the furniture
fucking hell you are right, I feel a right idiot now. You can rest assured that I will ask for your superior knowledge before I purchase anything else.

I'm going shopping later, what should I buy for my dinner?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
fucking hell you are right, I feel a right idiot now. You can rest assured that I will ask for your superior knowledge before I purchase anything else.

I'm going shopping later, what should I buy for my dinner?
Not telling you whatto buy. Just saying your analogy wasnt accurate

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have lifx lighting and a nest thermostat. While driving home, I simply tell my phone to set the temperature to whatever I like, so the house is warm when I get home. Or it knows I'm coming home anyway and does it without me telling it to. Or maybe I'm away longer than expected, in which case I can just turn the lights on remotely, so people think I'm home.

Home automation is good if it serves your needs. If it doesn't but you want to criticise others who use it even though their use has no effect on your life whatsoever, you're a bit of a knob tbh.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I have hive for thermostat and that works well. Same as your nest one really.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I have lifx lighting and a nest thermostat. While driving home, I simply tell my phone to set the temperature to whatever I like, so the house is warm when I get home. Or it knows I'm coming home anyway and does it without me telling it to. Or maybe I'm away longer than expected, in which case I can just turn the lights on remotely, so people think I'm home.

Home automation is good if it serves your needs. If it doesn't but you want to criticise others who use it even though their use has no effect on your life whatsoever, you're a bit of a knob tbh.

I'm absolutely on board with full home automation, particularly around the maximum efficiency of heating / lightning to keep costs as low as possible.

With regards to the coffee machine, if it saves you 10 minutes in the morning, why not?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I see no reason why you wouldn't want to save 10 mins a day, especially one spent on such a laborious task. I guess @Moriath still uses a steam and a flat rock for washing clothes though.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My parents were up this morning for a chat, I showed them my Tradfri and Siri / Apple TV integration with the light control (nothing new there really) but that then led us to talking other home automations including things like a coffee machine - they suggested it'd be good for when they get older and less mobile.

My dad then said "fast" and my mum started to buzz louder. Any idea what that was?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If the coffee machine was plumbed in and had a hopper of beans or such then i can see it. But if you have to go to it to fill it with water before you get it to brew it wouldnt be so useful.

@Big G what sort of things do you use the lights for? We can get them on the hive thing and im trying to come up with an excuse to get some. But apart from being turned on when we are away to seem like someone is home. Iam not sure of the use for them. Thanks

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If the coffee machine was plumbed in and had a hopper of beans or such then i can see it. But if you have to go to it to fill it with water before you get it to brew it wouldnt be so useful.

@Big G what sort of things do you use the lights for? We can get them on the hive thing and im trying to come up with an excuse to get some. But apart from being turned on when we are away to seem like someone is home. Iam not sure of the use for them. Thanks
I use Z-wave to control my lights, and yes, they are automatically set to turn on sunset and then turn off sometime later in the night, I can also set scenes which would set the lights to a particular level or off say when I am about to watch tv. Simply press a button on my phone and they will dim down or turn off. Also, having the lights turn off later in the evening saves me from forgetting to do them thus saving electricity.

I also have intelligent power plugs which also monitor the power consumption which is graphed over time so I can see what devices in my house are hurting the national grid. Again, some of them are configured to switch on and off at certain times.

Finally I have a Z-Wave smoke detector which in the event of detecting smoke will obviously make a loud noise but at the same time will turn on all the house lights to full brightness to aid my escape from the clutches of death or the burnt toast :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom