WARHAMMER Smart Homes

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We complete on Friday. Money is with the lawyers. Just need to sort out insurance. :)

Then architects, builders, plumbers, roofers, electricians, stonemasons, groundworks experts, sewarage experts, dry stone wallers, arborists and make friends with the local farmer (which might just be the most important relationship outside my o/h for the next twenty years). :(

SO, smart homes.

I'm thinking of just giving in and nesting the fucker right up. 2 x Google nest thermostats, the smart nest smoke/CO alarm system (3x), probably need 3x outdoor cameras to go along with the smart doorbell.

Maybe even just go all-in and get the google nest mesh wifi thing to ensure the house is covered (this is all presuming I can even get broadband in Wales, ofc)

Unless you tell me that I'm being fucking stupid. What should I be considering as an alternative?

Because of the remoteness and the possibility of break-ins at remote properties I'd like to be at least recording the face of the fucker I could do absolutely nothing about whilst he ransacks my house (and steals my sheep) full in the knowledge that the only po-po in Wales are probably 2 miles, yet 30 minutes away.

If I do decide to go full "spy on me please, American company I already don't trust, despite carrying Android in my pocket" - anyone know the cheapest way to buy this lot job-lot?

I think the first buy would be smart smoke detectors - the wire-in kind, though they wouldn't be wired-in at first (I think they can run for a while on 3 backup batteries). So at least I'd be meeting the demands of the home insurance whilst I decide how the fuck I'm going to afford the remodelling.

BTW - out of work in 10 days too :(

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
We've got a couple of Nest indoor cameras, loads of Hue bulbs and ourbevil overloads Google running it all, and whilst there's no doubt cheaper ways of doing it, it is remarkably stress free and easy to use. It passes the wife test with flying colours, and is great for checking for deliveries, keeping an eye on the cat, automating lights etc.

Not the cheapest, and Nest are a bit cheeky in asking another was of cash to keep recordings from the cameras, but otherwise can't fault it.

Going to add the smoke alarms and thermostat one day, but we're focusing on buying the house they're going to be attached to first :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Interesting.

I'm wondering whether to bother getting broadband setup now and doing the whole camera thing - will be useful for whilst I want to check on builders are actually doing stuff whilst I'm away. I suspect my broadband will be slow as shite though out in the sticks.

Gah. I guess I might as well go all-in now and get it ordered.

Anyone got nest Wi-Fi? Reckon it's worth it? - it'll be like having google home mini's around the house I suppose - but that wouldn't replace a proper speaker setup, so it's weirdly actually off-putting.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Redundancy, you are underestimating the importance of being able to adjust your heating while you're not there.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Redundancy, you are underestimating the importance of being able to adjust your heating while you're not there.

You can do that with 1 nest thermostat. 2 seems to be completely unnecessary

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Both things are unnecessary...twas a joke.

I fit them all the time, I guess theyre a part of a home system so no big deal except just more things to go wrong with your heating.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why do you need 2 Nest Thermostats?
You can zone your house - so heating at different levels in different places at different times of day.

I probably won't though, given the size of the property. If the heating (whatever that will be) is on, it'll be pretty much on all over.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Mostly one thermostate and a number of rad valves. So you adjust room by room on the rads

dysfunction

FH is my second home
You can zone your house - so heating at different levels in different places at different times of day.

I probably won't though, given the size of the property. If the heating (whatever that will be) is on, it'll be pretty much on all over.

As Moriath says I would just have a thermostat on each rad so you can adjust there.
It's up to you but seems like a waste of money to me.

Also if you want some cameras the Blink XT2 are pretty good.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M98TLCK/ref=twister_B07N8RRVG2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Not exactly a "smart home" if you're going around adjusting rads. Would seem to miss the point.

Yes sure. I have mine on a setting depending on how warm I like each room and they have remained that way for years without the need for multiple smart thermostats.

It's then set and stays that way. From my point of view this would only be needed in a large house or multiple flats with very varied temp requirements.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not exactly a "smart home" if you're going around adjusting rads. Would seem to miss the point.
This.

But like I said - I won't be zoning. House is too small. (At least not at first).

But if you have smart thermostatic valves on your rads you could, for example, keep two bedrooms permanently colder until they're needed. Managed centrally or by what passes for "AI" that could potentially add up to a decent carbon saving. (Though you'd have to factor in the carbon footprint of your thermostats).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
This.

But like I said - I won't be zoning. House is too small. (At least not at first).
They are wifi smart rad valves so you set them up for certain conditions and one button sets to your whim. More control than two zones.

DaGaffer

Yes sure. I have mine on a setting depending on how warm I like each room and they have remained that way for years without the need for multiple smart thermostats.

It's then set and stays that way. From my point of view this would only be needed in a large house or multiple flats with very varied temp requirements.
This.

But if you have smart thermostatic valves on your rads you could, for example, keep two bedrooms permanently colder until they're needed. Managed centrally or by what passes for "AI" that could potentially add up to a decent carbon saving. (Though you'd have to factor in the carbon footprint of your thermostats).

So what's cheaper? n x wifi thermostats and one nest, or two nests?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
So what's cheaper? n x wifi thermostats and one nest, or two nests?

Well a Nest Thermostat is about £220.
Wifi Radiator Valves approx £40 to £60 each.

You get a lot more control with the rad valves than you would with a general thermostat.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Just go with underfloor and have per-room control from the boiler/thermostat/app.

DaGaffer

You get a lot more control with the rad valves than you would with a general thermostat.

This is one of the reasons I haven't bought one of these things yet (Google snoopery is another). In theory I already have a two zone setup (actually three zones), but its not "smart" and has a horrible UX, so I'd be adding a Nest (or Hive) purely for ease of use, but I also don't think I need individual room controllability; I don't live in Blenheim Palace for fucks' sake, upstairs and downstairs would be fine. I don't really see much benefit in smart lights (not at current prices) and I already have a decent alarm. We have one of those Ring Bells (Amazon snoopery doesn't bother me outside the house) but I'm struggling to see any compelling reason to bring it all together.

I guess no-one has really convinced me of the Smart Home use case yet.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Indoor cameras?

Really?

What about... you know... wanking?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
This is one of the reasons I haven't bought one of these things yet (Google snoopery is another). In theory I already have a two zone setup (actually three zones), but its not "smart" and has a horrible UX, so I'd be adding a Nest (or Hive) purely for ease of use, but I also don't think I need individual room controllability; I don't live in Blenheim Palace for fucks' sake, upstairs and downstairs would be fine. I don't really see much benefit in smart lights (not at current prices) and I already have a decent alarm. We have one of those Ring Bells (Amazon snoopery doesn't bother me outside the house) but I'm struggling to see any compelling reason to bring it all together.

Well yes this was my point. If you're in a "small" house you probably just need standard "dumb" controllable rad valves. Set them at a comfortable temp for that room and leave them alone.
Having upstairs and downstairs zones does not make much sense to me if you have individual rad settings already.

I have a Nest Thermostat and it's learned when I want the heating on and when I don't. I've not once had the need to control the upstairs zone seperately

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

I have a hive thermo. Not controlled by google just thrpugh the hive app. I dont need smart lights. Its not hard to flick a switch tbh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

They don't learn (not smart) and require individual setup.

With nest it'll keep the house at a temperature consistent with maximum efficiency based around whether you're in or not - and if it's zoned, further efficiency based on which bits of the house you're using.

If you link it in to the smoke detectors I think you can use IFFT to turn on your rads if you walk into a cold room.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
They don't learn (not smart) and require individual setup.

With nest it'll keep the house at a temperature consistent with maximum efficiency based around whether you're in or not - and if it's zoned, further efficiency based on which bits of the house you're using.

If you link it in to the smoke detectors I think you can use IFFT to turn on your rads if you walk into a cold room.

Yes i have a Nest thermostat. But usually the most efficient is to have some heat in the room as leaving it ice cold uses more energy to then get it to a comfortable temperature.

Its your money so you do what you feel is best.
Personally I think it's a waste.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yes i have a Nest thermostat. But usually the most efficient is to have some heat in the room as leaving it ice cold uses more energy to then get it to a comfortable temperature.

Its your money so you do what you feel is best.
Personally I think it's a waste.
I'm not going to spend much yet. I'm here for ideas :)

I do think double thermostat would be overkill in the house anyway. Also - I wouldn't be keeping any room ice cold. (Tbh, I don't think it'd be possible!)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Have a look at Tado
I have actually - they look pretty goid.

But I think disparate non-joined up smart systems would be a recipe for annoyance tbh. Apple stuff is a nightmare by the looks of things - but that's to be expected from a company that doesn't even let you use standard cables.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I have actually - they look pretty goid.

But I think disparate non-joined up smart systems would be a recipe for annoyance tbh. Apple stuff is a nightmare by the looks of things - but that's to be expected from a company that doesn't even let you use standard cables.

I think it depends, our Hue and Nest stuff plays together pretty well, and can all be controlled by our many Google overlords.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom