Film Skyline

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Hiya folks,

saw an ad for this on tv last night, looks really cool (like a kind of war of the worlds independence day type thingy) Skyline (2010) - IMDb

Anyone seen this yet, any feedback about whether I should spend my points on my odeon card and use my free movie on this or is it just not as good as it looks?

Lethul

FH is my second home
Hiya folks,

saw an ad for this on tv last night, looks really cool (like a kind of war of the worlds independence day type thingy) Skyline (2010) - IMDb

Anyone seen this yet, any feedback about whether I should spend my points on my odeon card and use my free movie on this or is it just not as good as it looks?

Turk is in it, thusit will be epic ;)

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
this film comes out this Friday... I am going to watch it, cant wait... looks pretty good. Once I seen this i'll let people know if its good or not :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Amp you are now one of my adopted guinea pigs, Tinkerbelle and Errol are waiting for you to join them :D

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Turk AND Sergeant Batista! Win! :D I'll go see it too whenever it comes out in this god forsaken country. :p

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
Amp you are now one of my adopted guinea pigs, Tinkerbelle and Errol are waiting for you to join them :D

yay me :) what do i have to do? :) or do i just have to sit around and do nothing while you play with me? :p

Ezteq

Queen of OT
yay me :) what do i have to do? :) or do i just have to sit around and do nothing while you play with me? :p

no it's a very hard line of employment actually, you have to run about the habitat, squeek like a maniac whenever the fridge door opens, eat pretty much non-stop and spend the rest of the time planning world domination while appearing as if you are doing nothing of consequence.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Trailer looked poor, yet another independence day? I don't have faith in the people that have made it to produce anything but popcorn trash.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
yeah but I liked independence day and love popcorn trash movies, cannot understand why people go to the movies to watch 'serious' films, it baffles me!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I liked Independence Day too, but I don't need to see it remade. It's making itself look serious from the trailers, and will thus flop when it doesn't meet those expectations, popcorn trash is fine when it's clear that is what the makers are going for.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
What I wished is they did this film or something like War of the worlds as an 18 film with proper action and a bit of gore maybe. Like in War of the worlds when the son runs over the hill to see the fighting, I wanted to see it to lol. 20 or so of those walker things and hundred tanks and aerocraft wouldve been good. Also in Terminator 2 I think when it shows the robots walking over human sculls, blazing lazers wish it wouldve have been like that rather than the christian bale one. I meant there's going to be a bit of blood surely if an alien race wants wants to wipe out the popualtion of earth.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
Can't see a Will Smith "welcome to earth" moment anywhere in sight :(

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
i really dont think its another independence day.. looks like a horror/sci fi

will smith wont be saving the fucking day this time. watch trailer again and what happens to the girls face when she see's the light.... there's pure evil there.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Off to watch this tonight :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That's such false advertising, there's not a nissan in sight :(

Anyhoo, love the comparisons to ID4 and war of the worlds, it's like "aliens invade earth" is some kind of an intellectual masterpiece that can't be done without ripping those two off :p

It's like the modern audience who connect every masked dark hero to batman, just because dark knight is such a cultural icon :D

Oh yeah, i brought it.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
The question is....did you enjoy those movies? and do you think you would enjoy skyline more or less?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The question is....did you enjoy those movies? and do you think you would enjoy skyline more or less?

I enjoyed ID4 at the time immensely(can't type the word today), and even today it's still fun to watch due to goldblum and smith bringing the laugh to it.

War of the worlds, not that much, but it's still entertaining.

I think, from waht i've seen(and if it's any indication of what it will be, which often is not, i'll rate this between ID4 and WotW.

This looks like a more electric sci-fi action thing, then a wooden sci-fi action thing. Kinda like ID4 is more neon, electric, etc movie and WotW is wooden, bit rusty type of deal.

Weird comaprison, but it's one way of putting it.

Short answer; it looks like it could be better then the WotWm but not as popcorn entertaining as ID4.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
The original War of the Worlds is still great. Its place in that particular period granting it a charm modern films lack. Tom Cruise's version was pretty dreadful.

Independence Day is great hokum, even if Bill Pullman's speech towards the end requires extra strong vomit bags.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh yeah i should force the point that i did mean war of the world cruise edition.

The original is a classic, though i wouldn't make "aliens invade" instantly a WotW brand thing.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
The original War of the Worlds is still great. ...

bastard movie scared me from walking under lamp posts for years just incase they disintegrated me! Even now if they are the bend arm ones I don't trust them.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I watched the full-length trailer yesterday and it looks like it might be worth a look when it comes on Sky Movies. I wouldn't necessarily go to the cinema to it.
ID4 on the other hand REQUIRED cinema viewing. Feeling the sub-bass punch your chest as the aliens blew up the Empire State building was great!
I swear they turned the volume up for that scene. I've never felt a sub-bass as strong in a film ever since.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
The original War of the Worlds is still great. Its place in that particular period granting it a charm modern films lack. Tom Cruise's version was pretty dreadful.

Independence Day is great hokum, even if Bill Pullman's speech towards the end requires extra strong vomit bags.

I still think the concept behind the Cruise version was a good idea, giving a more personal feel. I just think he was the wrong choice for the lead role.

I loved some of the scenes though, 2 in particular stick in my mind, the one where the little girl goes down to the riverside and all the corpses float past, and the one where they are stopped by the train crossing only for a burning train to go past.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hmm an interesting film and I kinda figured out some things midway through. Would I go and see it again, certainly not. Would I buy it on BR, no. It is a once off film that was ok to watch. It is very different from WoTW or ID4 and I applaud the directors/story writers for that.

There are several cheesy bits and the ending was extremely cheesy but it did provoke a good conversation with my kids about aliens and technology.

Seriously do not click the spoiler if you are going to watch the film, it contains stuff which will completely ruin the film.

This is not a film about how the human race prevails. We don't. Humans get our arse kicked by an alien race which is superior in every single way and our tech has no chance against a race which can travel light years to our planet and decide to buttfuck us. Which is what I and Stephen Hawkings believe would happen if we ever manage to meet them :p I liked that personally as I am fed up in films where we always seem to beat them off.

From what I can gather the alien race uses our brains to create their population, they basically implant our brains into hosts which then become active and continue the fight.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Seen it tonight aswell, thought is was good fun like.

As Deebs says, nice to see a film where the makers don't copout and have two people left to save the human race *cough*Knowing*cough*, we get fucked, proper fucked.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Going to see it next week, well this coming week...you know what I mean!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom