Advice Sky + HD

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I have 'on demand' ok and Sky go. What I was trying to set up is when you can watch i player on your tv. I'm sure that's what my son has done on his..

Also would like to be able to set my Sky box to record when I am away from home from my mobile? It's all getting too much for me.

Have just tried to put a 'mouse' on a third tv and I can't even get that to work.

Plug your box into your router that has internet connection and ensure the network settings are enabled in the settings/options of your Sky box. It'll auto-set up the catch up stuff, to access it:

TV Guide -> [Red Button] -> Scroll right to "Catch-up"

As for remote recording, all you need to do is download the Sky+ app and if the above is done then it should work no problem.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Also would like to be able to set my Sky box to record when I am away from home from my mobile? It's all getting too much for me.

That's "remote record", you just need the Sky+ app (the box is told by satelite)

I have 'on demand' ok and Sky go. What I was trying to set up is when you can watch i player on your tv. I'm sure that's what my son has done on his..

That's part of the "on demand" stuff, do as waz says:

Plug your box into your router that has internet connection and ensure the network settings are enabled in the settings/options of your Sky box. It'll auto-set up the catch up stuff, to access it:

TV Guide -> [Red Button] -> Scroll right to "Catch-up"

to get to it :)

sayward

Resident Freddy
Thanx everyone. I obviously wasn't thinking straight so googled it all. Have downloaded the app to my phone so lets hope that works. I'll let you know next week.

I can obviously get a wireless box to plug into the Sky+ as my router is miles away. I'd have to have a cable across my whole flat. Trouble is , is it worth doing before I change to infinity.

Don't think I can put a magic eye mouse on a third tv all the blurb only mentions a second tv.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Thanx everyone. I obviously wasn't thinking straight so googled it all. Have downloaded the app to my phone so lets hope that works. I'll let you know next week.

I can obviously get a wireless box to plug into the Sky+ as my router is miles away. I'd have to have a cable across my whole flat. Trouble is , is it worth doing before I change to infinity.

Don't think I can put a magic eye mouse on a third tv all the blurb only mentions a second tv.

Never used magic eye stuff, but this page might help:
http://www.sky-remotes.com/setup-sky-magic-eye.shtml

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
If you have your Sky box hooked up to the network you can now control the box from the Sky+ app. Phone has to be on the same network, but you can also access your planner and other cool stuff, definitely worth playing around with.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Managed to record something via laptop while in France. And that's without the wireless box needed for i player. Sounds as tho we're getting Infinity in a couple of weeks so hope to get that sorted then.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Got the box; not installed yet. Got BT Infinity on Friday so I'm getting there gradually.

sayward

Resident Freddy
I hate technology! Have got copying off SKY+ down to a fine art. THen suddenly, literally overnight I am getting a black screen. Trial and error and i work out it's as soon as I turn the tv off. Copying to tapes by the way.
Have googled it and someone has the same problem to his dvd's but no one has replied. Normally I organise it overnight and switch the tv off and go to bed. Copy program still appears on the other tv@s that Sky is fed to. Any ideas?

Sorry that should say televisions can't seem to delete it!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
sayward said:
I hate technology! Have got copying off SKY+ down to a fine art. THen suddenly, literally overnight I am getting a black screen. Trial and error and i work out it's as soon as I turn the tv off. Copying to tapes by the way.
Have googled it and someone has the same problem to his dvd's but no one has replied. Normally I organise it overnight and switch the tv off and go to bed. Copy program still appears on the other tv@s that Sky is fed to. Any ideas?

Sorry that should say televisions can't seem to delete it!

Copying to tapes? Where are posting from? 1982?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
What are tapes?

Oh, and maybe don't turn the tv off?

sayward

Resident Freddy
:pCheeky sods. It's easier on tapes that I then transport to Europe. I havent cracked the whole DVD thing. I will eventually. Been doing this for too long. Yes am now expecting the tv to explode as it is on all the time. At least they're not Betamax! So frustrating that it changed for no reason. Be the same if I was using the Dvd's.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well, the DVD thing is so far gone it's almost not a thing anymore. I would figure out a way of capturing* to a portable hard drive* and then you can just plug that into your TV* at the other end. It's how I play all my downloaded stuff.

*may require investment

DaGaffer

:pCheeky sods. It's easier on tapes that I then transport to Europe. I havent cracked the whole DVD thing. I will eventually. Been doing this for too long. Yes am now expecting the tv to explode as it is on all the time. At least they're not Betamax! So frustrating that it changed for no reason. Be the same if I was using the Dvd's.

Oh my God, you were serious. What exactly are you taping off Sky+?

sayward

Resident Freddy
Oh my God, you were serious. What exactly are you taping off Sky+?
Rugby mainly. Everything and anything. For the last few years haven't been at home long enough to watch anything. And French and Spanish tv is rubbish!

DaGaffer

Rugby mainly. Everything and anything. For the last few years haven't been at home long enough to watch anything. And French and Spanish tv is rubbish!

OK, ignoring the fact that a cheap VPN like Hide My Ass would let you access UK TV online (assuming you have a broadband connection), let's assume that's not an option. (Also, if you have broadband, you could use Sky Go via VPN and you'd never need to rip your Sky+ recordings at all).

If you have to record stuff, get a cheapo DVD recorder like a Pinnacle Dazzle (only £40). You'll still have to record off the Sky+ box in 1:1 time; that's just a Sky box thing, but once you've done that you'll either have your recordings straight onto DVD or as ISO files on computer. You can watch those direct, or, if you want you can copy those as MP4s (much smaller files - I use DVDFab for that but there are plenty of programmes out there) and watch them pretty much anywhere (computer, tv, tablet, phone etc.)

sayward

Resident Freddy
In answer to some of that it took me an hour to get the GP on Sky go last Sunday. It's sooo unreliable. You cannot get Premier Sports anywhere. There are various sites that let you watch live rugby and without fail they always leave something dodgy on my laptop. Difficult for more than one to watch a laptop and yes i know somehow you can feed things thro the tv but not when it's a French one attached to a lousy Orange box.

PS I do have a dvd recorder but have never used it. Still doesn't sort black screen when the tv is switched off.

DaGaffer

In answer to some of that it took me an hour to get the GP on Sky go last Sunday. It's sooo unreliable. You cannot get Premier Sports anywhere. There are various sites that let you watch live rugby and without fail they always leave something dodgy on my laptop. Difficult for more than one to watch a laptop and yes i know somehow you can feed things thro the tv but not when it's a French one attached to a lousy Orange box.

PS I do have a dvd recorder but have never used it. Still doesn't sort black screen when the tv is switched off.

Seriously, look up Hide My Ass. Its ridiculously easy to use and you can immediately access local content from anywhere. I switch to US to watch US Netflix or Hulu, and then switch it UK for iPlayer etc. NB With Sky Go, watch via Internet Explorer. Its encoded with Silverlight, which is supposed to work on all browsers but is flaky as fuck, but its usually rock solid on IE. I watch the GPs and the football on it all the time (although to be fair I do have an excellent 100Mb fibre connection).

sayward

Resident Freddy
Woo Hoo. Finally have HD TV installed with Sky+ box also i player dongle. And BT Infinity too. Downloaded a 50min programme the other evening from i player. It took 6hrs!!!! Any ideas? All the speeds are ok on speed.net. ( haven't tried to transfer anything to tape yet!!! )

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
TalkTalk fibre cap some downloads from 6pm-Midnight, perhaps BT do the same?

sayward

Resident Freddy
Yeh son says should only take 10 minutes or so. i'll have to have another go.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Had another go it still took an hour for an hour's programme. It was like it was in real time!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
TalkTalk fibre cap some downloads from 6pm-Midnight, perhaps BT do the same?

On infinity 2, no speed caps, no traffic shaping. A nice solid 75 meg. A mate was on Talk talk who are always fucking about with his line.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
It's proper shit but my dad got it before I could advise otherwise. Cold calling does work on some people it seems...

sayward

Resident Freddy
Did a programme from i player. Didn't look. Got an hour of 'please enter your pin'. Great.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Did a programme from i player. Didn't look. Got an hour of 'please enter your pin'. Great.

Erm, if you downloaded something from the iPlayer bit of catch-up TV you just need to enter your PIN since it has rudeyness in it - you don't actually have an hour of 'please enter your pin'

sayward

Resident Freddy
Think I tried that.... Just watched it in real time in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom