Help sky hd audio output to old amp

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
ok, i have an old amp (5.1) with aux inputs

i am using this now to output the sound from my sky hd (analog output 2 rca cables from the sky hd box to the 2 rca inputs on the amp)

i would like 5.1 dolby digital sound output from the sky hd box and i understand that its only possible using either the optical output or the coaxial output on the back of the box, as the hdmi cable only passes stereo sound through to my tv.

my amp doesnt have an optical input on it ;/

i do however have some rca inputs on the back of the amp

in 3 lots of 2

O O
O O
O O

like above

they are labelled

FL/FR
CEN/SW
SL/SR

how can i output the sound from the sky hd box to those 6 rca inputs on the back of the amp

or do i need a decoder to split the signal from the sky hd optical/coaxial to the individual 6 inputs on the amp

i am certain its not as eaasy as getting a cable that converts the optical / coaxial to 6 rca's ?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You'd need a decoder of some sort, because the optical and coaxial out put a digital signal, and the 6 channel inputs only accept a analogue signal.

I'm thinking that it would be cheaper to buy a new a/v receiver.

e.g: GefenTV+Home+Theater+Audio+Processor

Google will give you a host more answers, but the all say the same thing: It's cheaper to simply buy a new a/v receiver than convert the signal.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Should be fine, all the entry level HDMI a/v receivers are pretty similar. Just make sure it has enough inputs to cater for your current equipment + any planned future upgrades / purchases.

As always check avforums for reviews from users before you buy, have a look at the onkyo equivalent as well. Can't speak highly enough of Onkyo, amazing value for the quality they give.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr507/onky-txsr507-sil < this if it's within your budget.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
Thanks guys..... will take a trip to superfi and richer sounds on Monday

Yaka

Part of the furniture
only thing about onkyos is the heat issues i had 2 606's first was in a ikea oppli unit it got very very warm, next one was on top of the unit but with didnt last 1 weekend till i had same prob. richers were very good to me tho offered me a full refund or some of the slightly higer priced amps with no added cost. in the end i got a refund and got me self a denon 2809.

im pretty sure it was a case of just bad luck with me tho, i know a few peeps with the same amp whos keep working despite the ehat issues. still

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
They definitely run hot, but I can't say I've ever had a heat problem with my Onkyo - had it for nearly three years and it's on most evenings, all evening.

I would like an excuse to buy a new one though.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The new models with the "7" model numbers are much lighter and cooler than the big hot beasts we bought though. Mine is in for repair at Richer for a faulty fuse in the display. It's a shame Onkyo's customer service is so good, or I could probably blag a newer model out of Richer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom