Silentish High performance lappy

Yaka

Part of the furniture
anyone wana suggest a decent but silentish high performance lappy? its got to be silent enuff as not a disturb a newborn

Starman

Part of the furniture
You've got a new baby and money? Wow you must be rich Yaka :p

Yaka

Part of the furniture
meh i werks hard, i want a new rig but due to the noise i am going lappy for a year or so, just want somat that plays the latest games and alows me to use my dell 2405 monitor for gaming. this means no proper pc for me for the first time in me life since i got a 286 an a-1000

rynnor

Rockhound
A laptop for gaming? Yeugh - why dont you get a MATX box with a very quiet fan - an energy effecient processor and a Graphics card with heatsink rather than fan.

That would whisper along! My new box is close to that and only the old psu can be heard - you can also get smart fans that go down to low revs when you dont need the cooling.

I may be biased tho - I hate laptops - the bastard child of the PC :p

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i dont like lappuy for gaming as well, but atm lappy make more sens at least for a year or so.

Kryten

Old Cow.
The Dell Vostro units might be worth a look at. Can't vouch for them being quiet, because small fans in small spaces = generally noisy.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
ihave vostros the low end ones are silent but pants for gaming

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Babies like white noise, apparently it helps them sleep so don't worry about it.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Yaka

Congratulations on the newborn :)

Just a quick note to say that no laptop will be silent during gaming, but most should be relatively quiet during desktop use. If you buy a Dell, there's a program called I8kfan which has pretty sophisticated fan control (I guess there are equivalents for other manufacturers). However, you should note that gaming laptops have powerful hardware, and powerful hardware requires more cooling than, say, ultraportable systems.

As for gaming, the best current graphics card is the GeForce 8800M, but it's only available in premium systems like Rock and Alienware. The 8700M and 8600M aren't bad, but they probably will choke if you try and use your display's native 1920x1200 resolution for gaming (they'll be fine for desktop use, though).

It may be worth considering the last generation's high-end products, like the GeForce Go 7950, which often outperform the 8600M and 8700M (you lose DX10 support with the last generation, but right now that's no big loss).

Sorry I'm not too au fait with AMD/ATI's offerings, they still offer good performance. That said, many of the best gaming notebooks tend to opt for nVidia graphics, Intel Core 2 Duo processors, and at least 2GB of RAM.

Sorry for the lack of links and detail, I've got to dash. Happy shopping :)

Kind regards

Clown

Part of the furniture
It's not silent when I'm using the laptop speakers!
Mine is silent when gaming though. I don't think it even has a fan!

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
My high end Asus is very very quiet, even under stress. Certainly a lot quieter than all of my previous laptops.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Trouble with Asus laptops is that it's rare to get 2 machines the same - unlike Dell, HP, IBM, Acer etc, Asus machines (other than the EEE kit obviously) are built to "whitebox" standards, which means that the hardware contained therein often differs from one machine to the next, especially cooling kit.
Not that it's a bad thing, the same thing means that said laptops are a breeze to upgrade should you feel the need, graphics cards, processors etc.

Point is you can often get one quiet machine and the next 100 off the line are noisey as a horny couple in the next hotel room :|

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Point is you can often get one quiet machine and the next 100 off the line are noisey as a horny couple in the next hotel room :|

There are times when that sort of noise has emitted from my laptop.

I don't believe had anything to do with hardware though.

My asus is as quiet as tree falling down in a forest when there is nobody around.

Kryten

Old Cow.
one way of putting it :D

Generally like them, it's just mostly the rebadged ones of theirs with cheaper hardware in (anyone seen teh "Notebook" branded ones?) - terrible :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom