Silent Hard Drives?

Fuggz

Fledgling Freddie
I have lots of these new silent hard drives - external a few of them. Great drives for sure. Trouble is when something goes wrong or the computer is searching for something it can't find or gets bog down you don't know what the hell is going on! So I swear by the old crunchy hard drives ;). I have 2 networked computers that run scsi hard drives. They run at 10,000 rpm - or maybe 15,000 rpm - can't really remember. I do know they are damn fast and also noisy. You know what I like the noise! At least I know when the computer is still running. With silent drives I am always tempted to reboot the damn thing as it looks very much like it has frozen. With my clacky scsi drives I know when they are still working.

You can't beat old technology - bring back the clacky hard drives!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I have lots of these new silent hard drives - external a few of them. Great drives for sure. Trouble is when something goes wrong or the computer is searching for something it can't find or gets bog down you don't know what the hell is going on! So I swear by the old crunchy hard drives ;). I have 2 networked computers that run scsi hard drives. They run at 10,000 rpm - or maybe 15,000 rpm - can't really remember. I do know they are damn fast and also noisy. You know what I like the noise! At least I know when the computer is still running. With silent drives I am always tempted to reboot the damn thing as it looks very much like it has frozen. With my clacky scsi drives I know when they are still working.

You can't beat old technology - bring back the clacky hard drives!

Haha nice thread. How about this for a solution?

The silent super fast solid state drives play a whirring sound through the speakers when looking for files :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom