Silent Computers

Tom

I am a FH squatter
hmmm, I forgot the scanner and printer. If I ran just one long usb2 cable from the computer downstairs, could I attach some kind of hub to the end of it, and plug all devices into that hub?

Or would it be easier (in more ways than one) to use some kind of radio link? Is there a device that I could plug into the back of the computer, and it would allow me to use the keyboard and other stuff without cables?

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
I presume the PS2 keyboard will make it fine, the mouse is a radio mouse, so I can hide the reciever under the floorboards and it should have enough reception to make it (mouse will be about 5 metres away) although I can easily move it closer. All the cables will be running alongside lighting/ring main/alarm/central heating control cables. Do computer cables tend to be screened? I'm presuming a USB2 or firewire external CD will not be affected, as its a digital connection?
Personally I'd advise to go with Xavier: Have one cable for the screen and one cable for a USB hub. Then have USB Key/Mouse plugged into that (along with printer + scanner).
If you can afford Firewire for your external CD device than add that to the above.

I'd be nervous about running the mouse over 5 meters, especially with an obstruction.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Agreed on the wireless mouse front. Keep that base unit as close to the mouse as possible, all they're designed to do is sit on the same desk and provide an untethered rodent, not one you can operate from an adjacent room :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I don't think I can justify the firewire for what I need, its a bit pricey. I think I'll go with the above advice, I forgot I could plug the mouse into the usb :D I'll need a new keyboard though, its a shame, cos this old keyboard has lots of coffee/food stains on it, I'm quite fond of it.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Try and keep this one in one piece this time ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
hehe I just tested the mouse, it works from the bathroom :eek:

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
my wireless keyboard works from a different floor of my house, i used it to control my mp3s from upstairs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom