Signal Booster Apps....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
For some reason my phone isn't picking up a signal in my house any more. I had it swapped out by the network provider but the new one is the same. It happened just after I got a settings update text by the provider and what is doubly annoying is that my missus' phone still gets great signal all over the house.

I'm on an SGS3 and she's on a 2.

Aside from banging my head against the proverbial brick wall with orange - who acknowledge that one of their towers in the area has been down since the beginning of december (before my problems started - and not affecting my missus) I know you can get some signal booster apps that say they work over your wifi connection.

This true? Do they work? And specifically which one is best?

Please to be helping me, as it's going to be totally shit on the imminent job-hunting front :(

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have never seen an App the ones I have seen have been hardware provided by the Network which create a mini tower in your home and send the signal over your web connection.

But what you are describing happened to me. An o2 mast went down and my phone signal dropped to next to nothing. My sisters o2 phone worked with no issue. We used software which said she was connected to a T Mobile mast about half the distance away from the o2 one I connected too. But my phone refused to connect to the T Mobile mast. Turning off 3G fixed it temporarily but I ended up changing provider as o2 were totally useless in helping me fix it.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
For some reason my phone isn't picking up a signal in my house any more. I had it swapped out by the network provider but the new one is the same. It happened just after I got a settings update text by the provider and what is doubly annoying is that my missus' phone still gets great signal all over the house.

Aside from banging my head against the proverbial brick wall with orange - who acknowledge that one of their towers in the area has been down since the beginning of december (before my problems started - and not affecting my missus) I know you can get some signal booster apps that say they work over your wifi connection.

Please to be helping me, as it's going to be totally shit on the imminent job-hunting front :(
I thought you've been job hunting for like 3 years straight now?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Sorry too early replace o2 with Orange above. I blame subliminal advertising :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There seem to be all sorts of apps that use your wifi signal to boost it.

I may try manually connecting to a different tower first tho - then pick one at random if that fails.

I thought you've been job hunting for like 3 years straight now?

I've been thinking about it. ;)

Nate

FH is my second home
Think most of it's bullshit, if you do find one that works let me know. I tried a few of the high rated ones, turns out they don't work and just instantly when you start the app get you to rate it 5 to continue using the app, to find out it doesn't work.

Poag

m00?
Whats probably happened is you've gotten a new modem which is a bit more picky than the previous one.

Ether set 2G, which generally has better coverage.

Or

Root the device and install a different Radio.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Have you checked it's not a SIM card issue? Swap your dim with your missus one.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Got an Samsung Galaxy 3. I do like it a lot tbh.

Think most of it's bullshit, if you do find one that works let me know. I tried a few of the high rated ones, turns out they don't work and just instantly when you start the app get you to rate it 5 to continue using the app, to find out it doesn't work.

After trying these out I agree with you 100%.

Anyway. I tried manually selecting a number of masts, to no avail. Until, that is, I found a second EE mast (on the 3rd scan - didn't show up in the first two). Selected that and hey presto! it's giving me full bars and I can talk anywhere in the house again. Which is nice.

:)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

www.orange.co.uk/signalboost

Think that it is only pre-loaded on certain phones. You might be able to find it on XDA.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
The apps are bullshit, the only thing you can do is try turning on flight mode and off again, that'll make your phone work out which mobile tower is going to give you the best signal again.

(Mystic's app isn't bullshit, but the billions of really dodgy looking ones are)

Vodafone do a "cell tower in your house" thing that uses your WiFi (it's called Vodafone Sure Signal)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Yeah we give users the Vodafone sure signal if they have no reception at home. Works a treat

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
If I can't get a signal I use an app called Fresh Network
It basically closes out your radio, and searches for best signal. Always works for me and always comes back with a full strength signal. Not sure if it's anything you need.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mcstealthapps.freshnetwork

Out of interest are you running Juice Defender? That can sometimes fuck up your connection

I had a problem on my S2 where I couldn't get Internet in or around my house. Found out it was H an H+ that wasn't working. Switched to GSM only and it worked. Must have been a mast issue as H / H+ working fine now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ta peeps. No @Lamp I don't have anything like that installed:

Turns out:
me! said:
It happened just after I got a settings update text by the provider
that was the reason. By the looks of it.

New phone (succession thereof, but that's a different story) is working grand, out of the box, so to speak :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Vodafone do a "cell tower in your house" thing that uses your WiFi (it's called Vodafone Sure Signal)

tbh I am leaving Voda because of their shit coverage. They do the inverse of what you'd expext: I have max data and signal in the middle of friggin nowhere, but in the place I need it most (my house) I have fuck all. Location is the middle of a city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom