Sigh, bored already

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
Well, made it to level 15 and am too bored to log in anymore. Its just the same as daoc, just grind grind grind and missions are all variations of a few types. Too bad, really wanted this game to entertain me untill WoW :(.

Any chance it gets better at higher levels or it just stays the same?

pez

Can't get enough of FH
dunno you lasted longer than me, only made it to 13 and now i am back playing daoc :x

just waiting for WoW too tbh

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
Was even considering buying asheron's call 1, so desperate i am to play something again :eek: (and i dont want to spend another 50 euro on some game that bores me within a month :puke: )

ah well, back to daoc once 1.70 is here i guess, with that crazy idea from mythic to make battlegrounds for level 1-4 :clap:

just canceled account, had it for 23 days :m00:

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Battlegrounds

- The new battlegrounds, with the exception of Proving Grounds and The Lions Den, are now ready for testing on Pendragon. Players can now use the portal ceremonies at the border keeps in their home realm to port into the battlegrounds using the Battleground Medallion of Passage. The names and level ranges of the battlegrounds are as follows:

1 - 4 Proving Grounds
5 - 9 The Lions Den
10 - 14 The Hills of Claret
15 - 19 Killaloe
20 - 24 Thidranki
25 - 29 Braemar
30 - 34 Wilton
35 - 39 Molvik
40 - 44 Leirvik

- The new battlegrounds do not have realm point caps.

;)

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
I played till around 14 or so, got boring then.

Same enemies you kill over and over, just maybe a new skin for them now and then.

Good fun while it lasted tho, felt uber to be a hero :D

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Hmm, after level 14 you move onto different zones - some of them have incredible graphics, and the enemies you face start using tactics against you. They also get much stronger with special abilities.

It took me about a week of playing to get to 14 ... If you think you've seen "the whole game" by then you are sadly mistaken.

DAOC is the same thing over and over again, but the graphics and fights in CoH far outweigh anything in DAOC. If I never go back to that steaming pile of a game ever again I shall be most happy ;)

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
hmm, have been in level 20+ area's (got sidekicked) and was nothing special there, the only mob that impressed me was a Sorcerer, that one was pretty cool with constant teleporting and healing and some weird aoe spell.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Ethiraseth said:
hmm, have been in level 20+ area's (got sidekicked) and was nothing special there, the only mob that impressed me was a Sorcerer, that one was pretty cool with constant teleporting and healing and some weird aoe spell.
If you're not careful, you'll meet those on the streets of Steel Canyon. And they're highly annoying.

I do know that things change later on - was sidekicked on a mission last night against some odd floaty-head things. Needless to say, they were...hard. I have yet to even see the Freakshow gang, but I'm looking forward to it.

I still play DAoC when I can - it's still a good game, and with the 2+ years I've put into it, it would be a shame to just stop and never play it again. Conversely, CoH has only been out for a month, tops, and there's plenty of scope left in the game - not to mention the coming Feature Update and, of course, City of Villains.

Dont' write it off yet!

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Sky raiders are a pita too - they make forcefields if you're not careful. Not seen any interesting freaks yet, just the grunt level ones. The floating heads are evil - they have a lot of hp and are hard to hit.

Kinzana

Fledgling Freddie
ah well, there people who always seem to be bored that was at the start of daoc who said they saw the game after making 3 chars on 3 servers till level 20 ... ;)

anyway i think the game is still great ! !:D

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Been playing for 2-3 months now (inc beta), and I'm still not bored :p

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Kinzana said:
ah well, there people who always seem to be bored that was at the start of daoc who said they saw the game after making 3 chars on 3 servers till level 20 ... ;)

anyway i think the game is still great ! !:D

never suggested i had seen the whole game. seen very little of it but the little i have seen has given me no desire to see more

lvl 13/14 seems to be a sticking point for a number of people. It justs stops being any fun for us then.

excellent char creation though

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
pez said:
never suggested i had seen the whole game. seen very little of it but the little i have seen has given me no desire to see more

lvl 13/14 seems to be a sticking point for a number of people. It justs stops being any fun for us then.

excellent char creation though

aye, that was actually the most fun part, creating your char. Hope other developers take this char creator as an example.

Sarum

Fledgling Freddie
Ethiraseth said:
Well, made it to level 15 and am too bored to log in anymore. Its just the same as daoc, just grind grind grind and missions are all variations of a few types. Too bad, really wanted this game to entertain me untill WoW :(.

Show me a MMOG that isn't, in some form, repetitive action to gain new levels/skills/abilities/cash/whatever value (but it has measurable against the other players – competition to be the “best” is a vital part of the MMOG formula).

They are all built to a formula. It's a very effective formula for making people play 6 hours a day for 6 months doing exactly the same thing they did every other day.

I do think CoH PvE is genuinely different to many other MMOGs. It's a lot more "actiony" and the AI is smarter. It's still fairly basic, yes, but if they were all tactical geniuses and pwned your sorry ass every time you tried to fight them, you wouldn't pay for the pleasure for long. After level 15 is when the mobs start getting interesting. They can rez each other(Vahz), drop mobile shield units(Sky Raiders, who also can fly sometimes), teleport (Tsoo sorcs, and some Sky Raiders), fly (most factions have at least a few flying types), heal themselves (Freakshow), REZ THEMSELVES (bloody freakshow bast**ds) and so on. I imagine the really high level stuff (I'm only 20 so far) such as the Rikti, have some really nasty tricks up their sleeves to keep you on your toes. And they're planning to add even more involvement in the missions/mob AI Hints Here.

Yes, it's still bashing mobs to get exp, to get new levels, to bash harder mobs, to get more exp. I'd honestly be very surprised if any successful MMORPG broke from that tradition though. EVE is about as far away as you get from traditional levelling and XP grind. There you've just got a mining-for-cash grind, which is probably even worse. It's like fighting inanimate objects that you can teleport directly to.

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
i know, not sure if I am going to try another mmorpg for that reason exactly, its all the same, just with different graphics/mobs. Might try WoW since they promise you can do all your leveling by questing and no need to go camping. If that is still the same i think i just totally give up mmorpg's for the next couple of years.

There should be some way to make exping fun in some way, games like baldurs gate are at the basics just the same (kill mobs, do quests) but they are entertaining somehow, no idea why it just isnt fun in a mmorpg. Might be because there isnt a fixed path you have to follow or something.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
I don't camp in CoH - I just do missions and help others on missions, and that's seen me through 21 levels so far. :)

And Sarum is right, people don;t want smart AI - cos losing all the time is no fun.

Sarum

Fledgling Freddie
I think the problem is... you can't do BG, or KotOR, etc in the MMOG format.

They massively story driven, and centred solely on the player. You're powerful, important, and saving the world.. you're making a 'real' difference in your virtual world. Yes you're just bashing mobs for exp when you get down to the bare mechanics of the game. But if feels like you're achieving something. Everything is built around you, and you alone. (If you've ever played BG CO-OP, and aren't the party leader, you feel very much a spare part - it's fun only because you're playing with your mates, the game quite obviously doesn't care you exist)

In a MMOG, where everything has to respawn for the next guy, where quests are often "Kill x number of mob y" or "go get this item", it's very hard to disguise the fact that you're achieving nothing, that if you kill this guy, or don't, doesn't really mean jack. You're very obviously just another chimp killing mobs for exp, just like the other 10,000 people playing. CoH tries harder than most - by linking missions together in big arcs, by having the guys in the street that get mugged run along and thank you, etc.

I think if you expect WoW to be hugely different, you'll be sorely disappointed. As Danya said, there's no real "camping" in CoH - you can if you want, but you don't need to. I think what they mean by "no camping" in WoW is the spawns are mobile, not that they've invented an amazing new fun way to do the exp grind (because after all, for the first month or so, it's the exp grind that keeps everyone playing, the drive to just play that little bit more to get the new toys - nobody is going to remove that from thier game designs)

I don't play MMOGs because they're more fun than an SP game by design - they're inherently not - I play because the people I play with are more fun than AIs.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Sarum said:
I don't play MMOGs because they're more fun than an SP game by design - they're inherently not - I play because the people I play with are more fun than AIs.

Exactly. That's why I played daoc for 18months - I *hated* the game, but my guild were great to chat to, and play with.

CoH takes the social element, and makes the core of the game fun, too. Sure, it will get boring at some point (And has already, for some) - but that hasn't happened to me yet. And when it does, I hope they will have patched in all the new content they have planned for this year.

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
Sarum said:
I think if you expect WoW to be hugely different, you'll be sorely disappointed.

I don't expect WoW to be something different, but i know at least 6 friends who are going to play it once it its released. I knew no one in CoH, so the only thing left was joining random groups. Might have been more fun if I had joined a SG, but if it bores me within 3 weeks i do not think it would have made a lot of difference.

Think daoc has also spoiled a lot of the fun in mmorpg's for me, just the idea of having to start exping again makes me want to not even begin playing.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
I think my main problem with it was i felt no sense of achievement.

I felt my avatar wasn't getting any better or any different. I didn't feel anymore powerful or important at lvl 14 than i had at lvl 6.

I didn't play enough to get involved with the arcing storyline missions ( or if i did i didn't notice) so maybe that would have helped.

I think DAoC has spoilt me a bit because now whenever i play an mmorpg i am always thinking why? why am i killing these mobs? why am i leveling up?
In DAoC i can answer those questions but in CoH i couldn't. Alot of what it comes down to is i am an rpg fan not an action fan and CoH is very much and Action MMO(RPG?).

I still think its a well put togethor game and i am gald i bought just to support people who try something different. I hope CoH is successful so it encourages other developers to try something new and unique. It just didn't do it for me

Aada

Part of the furniture
Thing is though i think MMORPG players want some form of PVP like DAOC where you can fight monsters then go pvp without the fear of being ganked while xping.

When City of Vilians is released watch COH become a whole lot more crowded

Sarum

Fledgling Freddie
I disagree

I'm a MMORPG player, and I play COH when it has no PvP. Lots of other people do. It's crowded already at peak-US times. I'm expecting to leave when it gets PvP (unless they really surprise me and manage to be the first people to ever make "bolt-on" PvP work without ruining the rest of the game). I think a number of other people will too. Blasters and Controlers are in for a heafty nerf when it comes (I'd stake my shiny new TFT on that).

Everquest is STILL the biggest MMORPG out there, and doesn't have a PvP system. Just from the fact that most DAoC players expect a system similar to DAoC (where they can PvE in safety, go to PvP specific zones, or PvE/PvP in mixed zones like DF), doesn't mean everyone else does.

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
Ethiraseth said:
i know, not sure if I am going to try another mmorpg for that reason exactly, its all the same, just with different graphics/mobs. Might try WoW since they promise you can do all your leveling by questing and no need to go camping. If that is still the same i think i just totally give up mmorpg's for the next couple of years.

There should be some way to make exping fun in some way, games like baldurs gate are at the basics just the same (kill mobs, do quests) but they are entertaining somehow, no idea why it just isnt fun in a mmorpg. Might be because there isnt a fixed path you have to follow or something.

There isn't a real fixed path in mmorpg too ;). Cause the only thing that differs is that BG has an end and mmorpg don't. For the rest you got plenty of freedom, hunt mobs to lvl up, get armor and weapons, get money, trade with merchant (players), explore zones, kill epic mobs...

From WoW newsletter:

We intended to add 600 quests but atm we are already on 1350 and we still not done yet... Just to get an idea of what they are doing ;) (ofcourse some will be class/race restricted and some are for groups only or solo but it's still an impressive number of quests)

And about CoH... I was kinda expecting that it could become boring after a month play (had similar experience with FFXI). So I didn't buy it yet (maybe won't ever) just to see how the others, who did buy it, would be doing after that first month. Seems there are some that still play and some who already left again.

Sarum

Fledgling Freddie
Khale said:
Seems there are some that still play and some who already left again.
You'll always get that. When a new MMOG opens, there's a blitz of publicity (unless it's GOA, in which case the seem to absent-mindedly forget the UK exists), free trials, open betas etc, and you get a lot of people getting it just to see what its like. Inevitably, for some of them it's not what they'd hoped, and they leave again pretty soon. You also get the "new stuff" junkies, who are always looking for the next thing, they'll get a new game, but fairly quickly something else, newer, comes along and grabs their attention and they loose interest. I don't think the fact that a bunch of people say "bah, that's crap" and leave after it’s only been running a week really says anything for the actual game experience. If, after it’s been running 6 months half the player base says “bah, that’s crap” and leaves, then you can draw the conclusion that it probably is.

I'm sure FFXI has a group of die-hard fans who think it's great, just like Everquest, UO, DAoC, AO, EVE, AC2 and the rest do. (maybe not E&B, but that's EA's fault for being really pants at MMOGs, and corporate money-suits who don't really understand what makes games good, only what makes money). No game suits everyone, and I think thats a good thing. Diversity is great and should be encouraged.

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
Ethiraseth said:

yeh i got to 16 and bored

another crappy game shame looked reallygood

sure the xping is FUN in it but its also the same thing each level, and the same thing over and over no matter how good it is will get boring - and this has.

And with the whole pve vs pvp debate, theres always the carebears at one end who wont even touch a fly and somehow love killing mindless AI over and over and ofc the hardcore greifing twats at the other end who seem to only live off making someone elses play time that little bit less enjoyable.

then theres the normal people who both enjoy killing AI but also the thrill of going head to head when the mindless ai killing gets boring. We like a bit of both. For me the problem with city of heros is i got to level 15 or so and was having fun - but it started to get boring now in daoc i would be level 24 or so, so id go gank the battlegrounds for a bit and come back to the AI bashing feeling rejuvenated. However with CoH there is no 'break from the monotony'. Yes pveing in coh is a LOT more fun than in daoc (dont even compare it rofl) but it still gets boring after a time and you need some sort of pvp i think to keep people interested.

Sarum

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not against PvP. I have played both EVE and Planetside which are PvP centred (Planestide has nothing else, and EVE has the hardcore "you can kill people anywhere" approach to PvP, if you don't count the police turning up in secure zones - and you can't really get far if you stay in the secure areas anyway) and enjoyed them a lot. I had a BR19 CR3 char on planetside, and was almost in a Battleship in EVE when I got distracted by CoH. I played DAoC for a long time, and was reasonably active on the RvR front for quite a while (RvR being different to PvP, I found emain milegate farming a bit dull, but keep raids and defending the guild keep were a lot of fun). If CoH had be designed and balanced for a PvP and PvE mix from the ground up, and had gone live with it, I'd probably still be playing it now.

The issue I have, is CoH IS NOT designed for PvP at the moment. It's not even remotely balanced for PvP. Having played PvP games, I understand what's required for PvP to work, and I'm not confident that it's technically possible to balance the game for PvP without totally ruining the game experience they have now. I'd much rather have a fun PvE game, than a crap game that does both.

But I think I've said enough on this subject already. I'm gonna look like all the whining fools on the official forums if I keep making negative posts like this. I've stated my opinion - I have no problem with PvP in MMOGs (I do have a problem with greifers though, but that's a separate issue), but I'm worried that in trying to implement PvP in to the existing structure of CoH, they'll end up ruining the game, and have half assed PvP, and unworkable PvE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom