Shuttles

Kryten

Old Cow.
Just about to embark on my first P4 based system - having just purchased a Shuttle barebones kit from Ebay for a very small amount of money.
It's an older socket 478 based system and the motherboard only takes up to 533mhz fsb CPU's.
Would an 800mhz FSB cpu run, albeit at a slower speed? Only reason I ask this, is that I can seem to find some of the newer p4 chips (3.0, 3.2ghz) cheaper than the 533mhz bus ones (2.0, 2.4 etc) - it would make sense for me to buy faster really.

I'm only going to be getting some midrange kit for it - looking at perhaps a geforce FX or Radeon 9800 for the time being. Bearing that in mind, what's the performance of the onboard video like on them? It's an SS51G system. Not expecting much but just want a second system to run as a software/OS testbed.

Cheers

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i have had mine since they were released and its still going well and is the most stable pc i have had.

sticking in a 800mhz chips is no no. the most you should be abel to stick in is a p4 3.06ghz which has fsb of 533mhz. even tho the cpu has HT the mobo chip set dotn supportit but it runs preety sweet

on board gfx is ok for none gaming stuff. on board sound is preety good as well used to use it as my main gaming rigtill i got given a 75g2 shuttle as prezzie

one more thing have you ran into dvd play back and burning probs?

pm me on irc if you need help

Kryten

Old Cow.
Cheers, touch wood I've not run into any problems yet.
I played it safe in the end and went for a 2.4 Northwood, which seems to run fairly sweet. Got a new HDD on order which should arrive at some point today so I'll then try and run a few tests then - i've only made sure it works ok to date :)

Will let you know how it goes with dvd's & burning.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
truth be told. whe i posted earlier i couldnt be arsed going down stiars to check ss51g.

rite if i remember correctly all ss51gs before revisions 2.0 had problem with the ide chan. baskly it b0rked movie play back from dvd and copying. to fix it

you need to go into device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> secondary ide (or primary if you have installed it other way round) and select properties now change from dme to PIO its not ideal but it fixes the problem.

another prob is selecting turbo in bios for mem settings some 2700ddr and 3200 ddr chips have a problem with this on both revisions as well so if pc begins to hang alot switch to one of the lower settings mormal or fast

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Gonna get me a Shuttle. They look great. Ontop of that I download movies and pipe them from upstairs to downstairs through a tv out card and some very long couple of cables. I download stuff (movies *cough*) and then transport them as above to end up displaying on my tv. I can also tape them whilst they are being shown (very neat gadget installed. Even so I would rather have a puter downstairs because I have to turn the movie on and sprint downstairs to turn the video recorder on in time to make everything smooth. A Shuttle would be an ideal solution. Apart from that the less hardware about the better :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom