Shuttle SN41G2 Barebones System

C

Ch3tan

The GAME/BW shuttle curse continues. 0 CPU speeds, ignoring the blue sticky bits, and now HD "accidents".

/me crosses my fingers.

Bad luck xane. :/

D

Deadmanwalking

Phat graphics cards are not recommended for shuttles. I can safely say this from personal experience of having a rad 9700 pro/9800 pro sitting in there chucking out heat and blocking what little air holes their are :(

C

Ch3tan

All the reviews I have read don't seem to show any heat problems with using those cards DMW.

Has anyone bought the g2 customisation kit yet? Lets you print whatever you want onto specially sized card so you can totally change the look of your shuttle. I have a fair few photos that I would quite hapilly stick on one.

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Ch3tan
Has anyone bought the g2 customisation kit yet? Lets you print whatever you want onto specially sized card so you can totally change the look of your shuttle. I have a fair few photos that I would quite hapilly stick on one.
They actually look quite cool, although I guess it depends where the Shuttle is going to be. The best ones tend to change the aluminium casing too (like those currently pictured on the Shuttle frontpage and on this cool system . . .)

bf1942case.jpg

Funnily enough they actually do a green casing accessory; BarrysWorld Shuttle anyone? :D hehe

Kind Regards

S

smurkin

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking.
Phat graphics cards are not recommended for shuttles. I can safely say this from personal experience of having a rad 9700 pro/9800 pro sitting in there chucking out heat and blocking what little air holes their are :(

I think I'd be more concerned about HDs running hot tbh

That BF case....lurvely...just a shame its bf1942 really :rolleyes:

T

Testin da Cable

I reckon you could make your own cover without too much hassle tbh. stick anything you want on there :)

C

Ch3tan

Yeah well depending on how hot the outside of the case gets, I was considering carving up a few photos and sticking em on. Not sure what glue I could use that wouldnt leave a mark if I changed my mind though. Any ideas?

X

xane

Those huge hairy bollocks just got bigger.

I got another HDD in the machine, booted to BIOS fine, started setting it up then it all went blank.

Damn CPU is dead now :(

I don't think the heatpipe catered for the 1.3Ghz Athlon very well.

Poo.

Got a measly little Duron 850Mhz in it now.

C

Ch3tan

Bad luck xane. Thought the ICe thing was meant to be really good, maybe you got a faulty one, or a dodgy cpu? Hope you manage to lay the blame on someone :)

D

Deadmanwalking

All the reviews I have read don't seem to show any heat problems with using those cards DMW.
I must be lying then :eek:

Edit ~ 400th Post! ~ Jonty :D

C

Ch3tan

Just wondered was all DMW, looking to get a radeon myself, and I can only go on what I've read. Never said you were lieing, I just found it odd.

edit. btw 401 now.

S

smurkin

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking.
I must be lieing then :eek:

I did hear one other report of a shuttle running so hot it had to be run with the cover off...wasn't very detailed tho :/

I do rather think graphics cards, cases, etc, should have heat rating, a sort of btu, especially with the ridiculous fans etc hardware have these days

J

Jonty

Adding graphics cards can bring certain problems (extra noise; extra heat; reduced internal air circulation; moving internal wiring). But, such things aside, a lot of Shuttle users whose systems come with an AGP slot end up installing a dedicated card, many of whom have no problems at all. Just remember that cards long in length, or cards with large or double slot cooling systems, are a no-no.

Kind Regards

D

Deadmanwalking

I have to run my shuttle with the case off :(

E

Embattle

I don't, although I do have one of these sitting next to it:

slot.jpg

I've currently got the System fan set to Low and during the really hot weather I upped it to Medium.

X

xane

Well, those huge hairy bollocks certainly need a shave.

I just spent an hour to discover that the supplied "CD ROM Cable" doesn't work, the one that's folded up and clips along the side.

Strangely, it detects the CD-ROM (actually a DVD/CDRW), but wont boot from it, I tried another CD-ROM drive and the same happens, I tried another cable and it's working now :clap:

Now for Windows XP install ...

/me takes razor to huge hairy bollocks.

C

Ch3tan

Originally posted by Embattle
I don't, although I do have one of these sitting next to it:

slot.jpg

I've currently got the System fan set to Low and during the really hot weather I upped it to Medium.

Is that a fan that sits next to the agp slot? More details for someone who hasn't bought a new system or hardware for a few years please.

D

Deadmanwalking

It slots into a PCI slot (The only one in a shuttle) and sucks air from inside and chucks it out the back.

System fan on Full all the time and case is off :(

E

Embattle

As dead says, although I altered mine a bit so it would pull heat away from the rear of the GFX card instead of the ICE system.

J

Jonty

Hello :)

For those interested, Anandtech has just posted a review of the Shuttle SB65G2. After quickly skimming through, I believe this model could well be the same as the SB62G2 mentioned on Shuttle's site, albeit not in black. Anyway, Anandtech seem suitably impressed with this system :) No price or ETA as yet, though.

Kind Regards

C

Ch3tan

Its here!

/me wonders around aimlessly in as the excitment builds, much in the same way as a 5 year old on 3 tubes of smarties.

edit. Built fine, bit confused with sata at one point, and managed to cut my hand.

Its such a nice system, very nice looking and none of DMW or xanes problems :p

C

Ch3tan

There only seems to be a .bin file for my bios. Anyway I can use this without a bootable floppy or cd?

Q

Quige

Somewhere back up the thread there's a link I think to a windows based BIOS flashing utility so you don't need to have a floppy or cd.

Have a look here (PDF warning);

How to use Winflash

they give a link to the winflash util in the PDF

J

Jonty

This thread has become way too big :( Anyway, at the bottom of the Shuttle download page indicates there is a pure DOS BIOS update and a Windows mode BIOS update. If you grab the latter then you don't need a floopy disk drive :)

Kind Regards

X

xane

Its such a nice system, very nice looking and none of DMW or xanes problems :p

Well, its all built and installed now, with Windows XP Home, a little black box sitting on the desk, and my step-son loves it.

Despite the setbacks, one good point is the DVD/CDRW combo drive was bought OEM but came with a crap-load of software anyways; all the Roxio bollocks and PowerDVD.

I am impressed by the standby mode, it is very quiet and almost no heat at all, it would have been nice to see an LED indicator though as apart from the slight hum you can't tell if it is off or not.

C

Clowneh!

This thread > all your >*! whatever thingies.
Anyway, on Tuesday, I'm going to have £449.59.

MY SHOPPING LIST YO!
Shuttle Spacewalker XPC SN45G
£189.12 - www.overclockers.co.uk

Crucial 256MB, 184-pin DIMM (x2)
£70.48 - www.crucial.com

Western Digital 80Gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache
AMD ATHLON XP2600+

£143.26 - www.ebuyer.co.uk

All these prices includes next day delivery
On Wednesday, I'll have much less dollah :(

I chose the SN45G cuz it's cheaper than the other one and I don't need the on-board graphics card. Crucial RAM... I didn't want unbranded stuff and this brand seems cheap? So that's that. The WD HDD was recommended to someone else on these boards here I think and I'm getting the XP2600+ cuz I don't want to be fiddling with overclocking the Barton, so this has the higher clock speed. Or something.

I can't think right now; Am I missing anything? Anything I should swap for something else? Help and stuff please :)

J

Jonty

Hi Clowneh! That sounds fine, although a little expensive.

MicroDirect, for example, have the following (none of which is on special offer)

Shuttle SN45G - £177.43
2x256Mb PC2700 DDR SDRAM - £61.10
Western Digital 80Gb HD w/8Mb Cache - £64.63
AthlonXP 2600+ CPU - £76.38
Altogether that's £379.54 inc. VAT + £8 courier (£387.54). I'm not saying go with them, but it's worth shopping around.

As for other things you might need, off the top of my head: CD/DVD drive, (floppy drive), speakers, keyboard, mouse, monitor, graphics card. I'm sure you'll probably have these, but it's worth checking :)

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom