Shuttle SN41G2 Barebones System

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Clowneh!
Heh, you just saved me some money!
Every bit helps :) I forgot to mention that the above uses major brand, but unnamed RAM. Last time I chose this option I ended up with Geil RAM, which is a good make, but it is luck of the draw, so the choice is yours (I also wasn't sure whether you chose PC2700 (333Mhz) or PC3200 (400Mhz) RAM).

Anyway, good luck. If you do go with Microdirect, then you may want to wait until 11.30am tomorrow when their special offers change, as they often put Shuttles up for a little less than usual.

Good luck

C

Clowneh!

So I may end up with some poo RAM? I'll be ordering on Tuesday or Wednesday tho too :eek:

J

Jonty

Well, I've used their RAM twice and both times its been perfect and has never failed on me. MicroDirect sell it as 'Major Brand' RAM, so I doubt it is dodgy stuff (Geil, for example, is relatively well known). But it is the luck of the draw, so I can't 100% that it will, for examle, be as good as Crucial. So it's your call :)

Kind Regards

C

Clowneh!

Is MicroDirect a good company to deal with then? How is their support and stuff should I need it? Anyone know what they are like with deliveries? Blah blah blah?

J

Jonty

I've used MicroDirect a few times, usually because of their special offers. Their site is only basic, but the transaction system is secure, which is the main thing.

Sadly they charge £8 for delivery, but this is mainly because they use Amtrak regardless of what you buy. Order before 1.30pm and they endeavour to get it shipped the same day, which means it should usually arrive the next day (although some people have had bad experiences with Amtrak).

They also have a shop in Manchester somewhere, so they're not just a faceless company.

Anyway, like I say, they're usually cheap, and I haven't had any problems myself. Their postage is extremely expensive for small items but comes in useful when buying in bulk.

But that's just my experience with them; perhaps others can share their experiences too :)

Kind Regards

C

Clowneh!

Jonty, you are a very good man :) Thank you sir.
Btw, that hard drive on that site is expensive :)

S

smurkin

Originally posted by Jonty
They also have a shop in Manchester somewhere, so they're not just a faceless company.

Well, actually they have 3 shops, one in UMIST (only opens term times), one on upper brooke st (near Uni), and another (urmm Plymouth Grove iirc, near longsight) which is a "trade speciality" outlet. In the main shop there is a returns section where they can (if you perster) test your problem hardware there and then. In fact, for a time, Dell, Compaq and MD pcs were the only makes our hospital IT desk would support. I get the impression they are quite a big company and have expanded massively recently.

The only real problem I have had with them was having to inisist they replace my faulty deathstars (they were trying to bullshit me :rolleyes: ). On another occasion they replaced a faulty RAM stick (Hynix was the make) after a quick test...no problem..took 5 mins. Beware near x-mas the till queues go all the way outside through the automatic doors :eek: I imagine the mail order slows around then also.

I've never tried mailorder tho :/

Edit ~ Just fixing your quote's BBCode ~ Jonty :)

C

Ch3tan

I got mine from microdirect, saved a bit compared to ebuyer and overclockers (have you not been paying attention all this thread clowneh?). webby is basic as Jonty said, but they are a very pleasent company to deal with. Wait till Friday 11:30am when their offers change. I garuntee you will get a sn45g, the cpu, branded ram (samsung or geil) and the hardrive on offer from them.

One thing to watch out for. Unless you order before 1pm on Friday, your order is shipped on the following Monday or Tuesday. They carry out security checks for first time orders. This involves sending a proof of address (bank statement etc) by fax or scanne din via email.

Edit. Concerning the off button on the shuttle. It puts the system into soft off mode, correct? So the system makes a very small amount of noise, it is quiet, but I am sensitive to noise when sleeping, so how do I actually turn the thing off?

J

Jonty

Hi Ch3tan

If you start Windows (I assume you're using Windows?), go into the control panel and find the 'Power Options'.

Click on the 'Advanced' and under there should be a 'Power buttons' section. This drop-down list allows you to set what happens when you press the power button (hibernate, sleep, shut down, standy etc.)

You may also be able to configure these options via the BIOS.

Is this what you meant?

Kind Regards

J

Jonty

Hey Clowneh!

MicroDirect's weekend offers will save you a few more quid. The Shuttle SN45G is now £170.38 (was £177.43) and 2x256Mb PC2700 DDR SDRAM is now £57.58 (was £61.10).

Kind Regards

J

Jonty

SB62G2 Prices

Hi guys

Although not officially available in the UK yet (as far as I am aware), some foreign sites are carrying prices for Shuttle's latest and great P4-based system, the SB62G2. The cheapest price is apparently €389 (£274) which seems high, but newly launched systems usually start off and are only bought by people willing to pay the premium. In time the SB62G2 should hopefully drop to the low £200s.

Watch out for new Shuttles on the horizon, based around AMD's new 64bit architecture, too :)

Kind Regards

C

Clowneh!

MicroDirect hasn't emailed me about their account thing yet :(

C

Ch3tan

Odd it took a couple of minutes to get my account e-mail back. Try again to a different mail address, your isp may be having problems.

T

Teh Krypt

Just got one of these into the shop im working at, sweet fuckers :D.

Everyone who comes in is interested, but only bussinesses have bought them so far :)

C

Ch3tan

Thier shuttles cost more from what can see. Microdirect are still cheaper.

J

Jonty

As The Inquirer has been reporting today, and some SFF sites before now, Shuttle's third generation designs (G3) are well on their way.

The G3 systems will be Athlon64 ready, on the AMD side of things, and ship with an nForce3-based motherboard. A 240W PSU is also expected to replace the existing 200W models.

A second model will also be available which, like MSI's Mega PC (on the whole), will be able to play DVDs, MP3s and VCDs without the need of a hard drive or software, thanks to its special BIOS.

More details soon :D

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Happy Go Lucky
I hope it has serial ata.
Hi Happy Go Lucky

Most Shuttle motherboards tend to be as feature complete as their bigger counterparts, and the nForce3 is known to have S-ATA support. So, all being well, the AMD G3 Shuttles will have S-ATA support too :)

Kind Regards

C

Clowneh!

I have some kind of 'problem' with my shuttle. When I shut down, the LAN light is still on at the back. The computer is off, but the light is on. Wierd eh? How do I fix that?

C

Ch3tan

Same here Clowneh, and my cable momdem activity light stays on as well. Nothing to worry about I would think, as everything else is off. If you are really worried, turn it off from the mains.

P

PR.

Its perfectly normal!

The whole system is always powered it just a case that after a shutdown most of the main components are switched off

J

Jonty

Hi guys

Just thought I'd let you know about the Soldam Shuttles (TechNation News / Soldam.com). Although they've been around for a while now, I haven't really mentioned them because of their lack of availability and their price, but now things are changing, and some of you may be interested in them.

Essentially, they're Small Form Factor PCs, utilising Shuttle mainboards, but with Soldam's own (high quality) casing and chassis. The aluminium models are particularly impressive, with an incredible amount of work going into each:

c1_s.jpg

(The model above ships with a Panasonic slot-in DVD/CD-RW drive).

What is interesting are the innovations to the case and chassis Soldam have made. Pivotting PSU holders, which allow easy access to the mainboard; 3.5" slide out drive bays; underside air intakes; special airflow and exhaust systems; noise reduction add-ons; you name it, Soldam have tried it :)

Sadly all these things do push up the price. The system above, for example, is ¥133,000 (~£697), thanks partly to the bundled drive and the aluminium casing which takes approximately 120 minutes to prepare the processing for one model, and 117 minutes of actual processing time.

Thankfully not all their systems are that expensive, and the non-Aluminium versions of the above system cost ¥84,800 (~£455); and the Altium and other systems being more sensible priced at ~£270.

Kind Regards

V

vofflujarnid

c1_s.jpg

If you would dye this case red, it would look like a mailbox — it's horrible :)

Users who are viewing this thread