Shuttle SN41G2 Barebones System

Q

Quige

Originally posted by Jonty
The OcUK order tracking page always suffered from problems (i.e. most people found that it didn't work) and so I believe they took it offline a while back.

Jonty,

In the end I got an email back from them .. it is still up it appears at;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ordertrack.php

Hasn't been dispatched yet, still waiting for some level of card authorisation :(

Still I'm off work tomorrow as well for a trip to the docs so maybe there's still hope it'll arrive. If not it'll probably have to wait until the weekend for construction.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Me: "Is there thermal grease in the box together with the processor?"
Computer store punk: "Sure it is."

Just doshed out 1200.- Euros for all the goodies, nearly done with assembling the baby... and no fucking thermal grease.
:eek:

How fair is that, eh?

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Aaaand - it's alive! Took me about 2.5 hours (including a run to some computer store to get thermal grease...) and the baby is running like a dream. :D :D

2x 512mb Gig Kingston RAM 333
PIV 2.66 Gig
Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 pro

to name the most vital parts of the new Animul system.

I turned it on and it worked right away. Werd.
Me is proud. *smug grin*

*goes to phone MS to do the bloody activation thingie...*

C

Clowneh!

So, when I buy my thing from ebuyer, I have to buy thermal grease? I'm scared of applying it myself :( Some say too much will stop it from doing its job and some say too little will make my cpu blow up. Aww.

W

Will

You need to apply a thin coating to the CPU core only. If you don't apply enough, you won't get any benefit from it, and your CPU temperature will be a few degrees higher than it would be without. Apply too much and when you clip the heatsink on, the excess will get pushed off the core and may end up on the brigdes around the CPU, which migh be bad.

Put a wee blob in the middle of the core, spread it around with a credit card or something like that, put a blob on a lint-free cloth and wipe it on the heatsink. That's all you have to do.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

I used my fingertip... creditcard didn't work too well. But perhaps I am just clumsy...

Problem now - albeit a small one - my front display which shone in a nice blue won't shine anymore. :(

Everything is plugged in properly, though. *sighs*
Any ideas?

X

xane

Sorry to be lazy and not read through all this thread but is it correct to think you need a heatsink for the SN41G2 ?

V

vofflujarnid

I got this thermal paste in liquid form which came with some syringe. I used the whole thermal paste in the syringe and just splattered it on the CPU, and then just crushed the heatsink on :)

The heatsink took care of spreading it; no need to use your hands or credit card :rolleyes:

I read later on in the manual that you were only supposed to use half of the thermal paste in the syringe :uhoh: But my CPU has worked pretty well and it's stable and runs cool

E

Embattle

Originally posted by xane
Sorry to be lazy and not read through all this thread but is it correct to think you need a heatsink for the SN41G2 ?

It comes with it, a special system designed for the Shuttle's size and referred to as Shuttle I.C.E. heat-pipe technology...seen in the middle of this picture:

inside1.jpg

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Uncle Sick(tm)
I used my fingertip... creditcard didn't work too well. But perhaps I am just clumsy...

Problem now - albeit a small one - my front display which shone in a nice blue won't shine anymore. :(

Everything is plugged in properly, though. *sighs*
Any ideas?

Erm, just double check that all the cables aren't caught on any thing.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by vofflujarnid
I got this thermal paste in liquid form which came with some syringe. I used the whole thermal paste in the syringe and just splattered it on the CPU, and then just crushed the heatsink on :)

The heatsink took care of spreading it; no need to use your hands or credit card :rolleyes:

I read later on in the manual that you were only supposed to use half of the thermal paste in the syringe :uhoh: But my CPU has worked pretty well and it's stable and runs cool

Yes it can be done that way but its a waste and also covers the whole CPU in thermal paste ;)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Embattle
Erm, just double check that all the cables aren't caught on any thing.

The funny thing? When I plugged in my speakers the front panel illumination came to life... weird, innit?

Q

Quige

Yip Yip Yahey! :clap:

"Your Order has been packed, and is currently awaiting shipment in our warehouse."

excitement builds ....

If no thermal grease comes with mine is there anything special about what's needed .... I think I've got half a tube or so lying about in a box somewhere from the last time I built a kit. Does this stuff 'go off'.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Hrm... just ran 3D Mark - 5288 points. Seems a bit low to me.

PIV 2.66
Radeon 9800 pro
1 Gig RAM

Oh... and FSB 133?? Can't even up it in the BIOS - 166 hz is the max.

Help, pwease. :(

J

Jonty

Hi Uncle Sick(tm)

Depending on the type of Shuttle you have, you FSB will be limited to either 133Mhz or 200Mhz (effectively 533Mhz/800Mhz when 'quad-pumped'). Also, is that a 3DMark 2001 score or 2003? I ask only because the latter produces far lower scores than the 2001 edition does.

Kind Regards

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Sorry for the lack of detail, Jonty. :(

I got the SB51G - Pentium 4 400/533FSB (getting the, as originally planned, SB61G2 would have taken a couple of weeks due to delivery problems - and I am too impatient to wait that long *sighs*).

And I used the 2003 version of 3D Mark.
So do you think 5288 is a good result with 3DMark03?

And thank you for the quick reply. :)

J

Jonty

Hi :)

The SB51G, as you righly say, is limited to 400/533Mhz FSB and DDR 200/266/333Mhz RAM. You should be able to overclock the system, although you may need to download a BIOS update if one is available.

As for your benchmarking score, I believe 5288 isn't a bad result. You certainly shouldn't expect five-figure scores like 3Dmark 2001 due to the way in which the latest version calculates the end result. You should also be aware that 3Dmark has come in for a lot of criticism that it's bechmarking tests are too synthetic, and so don't accurately represent real-world performance. I don't want to start that debate again, but at the end of the day, its what a game plays like that counts, and with that kind of system, it shouldn't be bad at all :D

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Is your P4 a revision C chip? (e.g. does it support hyperthreading and 800Mhz FSB?). If so you really would benefit from one the the better Shuttle systems.

Q

Quige

It's arrived!! CPU and memory installed and this PC about to be dissembled for hdd and GPU ... hopefully back on new system before the end of the day:)

T

Testin da Cable

good luck laddie! ooh I'm itching to get one heh :eek:

T

Testin da Cable

laddie? ooh err you're 9 years older than I am heheheheh

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

It is great... I never want a bulky tower again. Nevah!1

I shall post pictars as soon as I get my camera back. :D

Q

Quige

Hurrah! :clap: :D :clap:

Completed (despite inquisitive 2 year old), OS installed and back online ... all seeming to work well .... no games installed yet ... just starting on the mammoth task of installing apps/games/latest drivers. I hesitate to say it, but no bsod or anything untoward so far. (touches wood, plastic and any other unique material to hand.)

I am very happy so far ... but we'll have to see how an hour or so of gaming goes!

I second Uncle Sick(tm)'s sentiment re old beige towers ... I just can't quite believe how gigantian my old case is beside this dinky but oh so styled aluminium beauty.

newputer.jpg

* will resize later once I've got something to resize with!

Q

Quige

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
laddie? ooh err you're 9 years older than I am heheheheh
s'ok ... a hook & parrot entitle you to call anyone you want "laddie"... you might want to chuck in the odd "m' hearties" every now and again for variety :)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

I'll go and get the wife a shuttle tomorrow... oh teh envy. :)

T

Testin da Cable

I hate you now Sicky. I'm not getting the gf one due to tight cheapo barstageness and off you go getting the wife one! raah!

OCH AYE RAAR ME HEARTIES!!1 BREAK OUT THAAR MIZZ'NMAST YE LUBBERS!!1 :eek:

T

Testin da Cable

*check savings account*

*think about new speakers for the hifi set*

*think about teh gf*

*think about new speakers for the hifi set*

*close connection to savings account*

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
OCH AYE RAAR ME HEARTIES!!1 BREAK OUT THAAR MIZZ'NMAST YE LUBBERS!!1 :eek:
*Jonty now understands why this thread is almost 400 posts long* :p

Seriously, though, I'm glad you like your Shuttles. You may be interested to know that more new Shuttle systems are on the horizon, as well as new offerings from other SFF manufacturers. Sadly, though, there doesn't seem to be anything new on the AMD version of ASUS's SFF offering.

Kind Regards

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Hrm... my shuttle is kinda loud, tho.

Sounds like water bubbling - the heat pipe? Or could it be the fan?

If it's the heat pipe - should I check if I put too much thermal grease on the die - I had it all covered with a very thin layer? It's blowing out quite some hot air....
*is a bit worried*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom