Shuttle/CPU List

C

Ch3tan

I've got my old gf2 gts in there currently. The onboard intel gfx are appaling, the amd shuttles have nforce though :)

T

Teh Krypt

*shrug*

Ive seen people buying them + components for £600 which I think is great as my mother was thinking about getting a PC for a grand or so...

What I want to know is, how long are they going to be 'up to date' since I can't buy one every day of the week :p

Intel or AMD? Pros/cons also. I have a gf4 ti4200 in my pc atm, its only 64mb tho. Also has no tv out, It may seem small but if I was to get one of these shuttles, the TV out would be great :p (If you can use it while still using a gf4 ti4200...)

:D

T

Teh Krypt

Come on pimps :p Need to know exactly what im going to buy ;)

T

Teh Krypt

Yeah but im a newb.. :p

Baiscly I want someone to decide for me if I should go AMD or P4 (Im thinking P4 myself). Which shuttle to go for, if im going to buy a gfx card, and which to go for if im not :p

T

Teh Krypt

Wtf why? :)

Could just tell me which is best and which is best shuttle to buy :p

D

Deadmanwalking

Most people at leats have a *vague* idea. Suggest what they think would work/is good then listen to our recomdations. You haven't the foggiest which is fair enough, but you sure you can handle the task of putting the comp together?

T

Teh Krypt

Im working in a computer repair shop, no1 has come back yet asking why the ram is in the PCI slots :rolleyes:

Ive always thought, there is not much difference in the amd or intel chips, but the amd ones have been cheaper in the past. Im spending money myself so want to know which IS best.

K

kameleon

You're having a laugh arent you?

If you want a small foot print pc and arent scared of putting bits together then go for a shuttle.

If you arent bothered about size and arent scared about putting bits together then go for a tower system.

If you are scared of putting bits together then go to a company like Dell, or HP

Processors are all subjective, if you have the money go for Intel , If you are on a budget go for AMD

T

Teh Krypt

Now.. :)

Which shuttle is best with onboard gfx and which without :p

C

Clowneh!

Originally posted by Teh Krypt
*wishes people to read posts*
Notice how everyone else manages to draw up some sort of list before asking for help? Why do you expect people to do all the work for you? I mean, Jonty is a God but you can't expect him to do all the work...

C

Clowneh!

Originally posted by Teh Krypt
Now.. :)

Which shuttle is best with onboard gfx and which without :p
*Wishes people would read other posts...*

T

Teh Krypt

Oh bugger. You can't have p4 with the nforce 2? :(

T

Teh Krypt

Im.. wanting it now :p
So.. I could get one without uber gfx card and just use my gf4 ti4200 (64mb) till xmas..

Which I assume is better then the onboard one :D

• Shuttle SN41G2 SktA Mini Aluminium
    AMD Athlon XP 3000 [333MHz]
    512MB DDR PC2100 RAM x 2
    80 GB Maxtor 7200rpm IDE ATA133

Ok.. this gives the techis an idea of what I want, I would rather a P4 but as you can't have an nforce2 with that .. :(

Does this sound okay? Ive no idea about what the PC2100 means on ram so got cheapest :)

Need the HD so I can keep my other pc up and runing :)

If you have any suggestions please say :) (I might have even got the incor
rect shuttle :D)

Edit: Planing on getting a radeon 9800 pro at xmas

D

Deadmanwalking

A radeon 9800 pro at xmas won't be the top end card. It will still be damn good but new releases will knock it down in price and position.

Get a minimum of 2700 ram 3200 is prob best bet.

Get a western digital cavier special ed HDD instead of that maxtor one.

K

kameleon

i aint commenting on here anymore if you want advice pm me and ill give you my msn id

D

Deadmanwalking

DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST REMOVE
Shuttle Spacewalker XPC SN45G nForce2 Ultra 400 Aluminium Barebones System (FS-020-SH)
£151.20 £151.20
AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3000+ 333FSB (Socket A) CPU - OEM (CP-043-AM)
£164.60 £164.60
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-018-CS)
£229.00 £229.00
Western Digital Caviar 80GB Special Edition 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-000-WD)
£59.00 £59.00
Subtotal £603.80
VAT £105.68
Total £709.48

All from www.overclockers.co.uk can prob find alot of that cheaper elsewhere but its a guide. That has no GFX card, cd drives, monitor, keyboard/mouse.

Now do some work yourself. Budget? What you are keeping etc etc?

K

kameleon

have you gone for matched pair corsair there dmw?

K

kameleon

Its not like he'll need low latency ram though

D

Deadmanwalking

Fair enough, i used chucked in the corsair stuff as that is what i got. Failing that stuff (Only thing overclockers had in that flavour) there is some nice kingston HyperX stuff i saw.

C

Ch3tan

Okay money is obvioulsy not an object, so whya re you stating such low specs? If your going to go with your own gfx card anyway (and you will need it for the games around the corner) why does it matter if its an nforce board or not?

Get the best you can afford, so get an intel based shuttle and fast ddr ram. Go away and read the shuttle thread for a start, and the reviews it links to. It will take you a while, but it will stop the hatred thats building in my heart for you.

C

Clowneh!

I ordered a Shuttle and RAM from www.microdirect.co.uk on the weekend. Anyone know how quickly they deliver? I can't see anything anywhere about this, and I can't phone them :eek:

K

kameleon

you want me to wander over and kick em up the arse for you clowneh? its only about a mile away

C

Clowneh!

Orrrrrr you can pick up the stuff for me and drive it to London and give it to me and I'll buy you a drink or something! Shouldn't take more than a few hours :)

C

Ch3tan

Why, aria charge more as I have pointed out before.

Clowneh, it states that orders placed before 1pm On Firday are shipped the same day and should arrive Sat/Mon. If you order any later then they are usually shipped Tuesday morning so you will recieve the goods today.

Out of curiosity, why only the shuttle and RAM from microdirect? Where did you find a CPU and HD cheaper than the weekend offers?

Users who are viewing this thread