Shrooming in DF

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
boppas said:
Shrooming in DF = part of the game as it comes, If the game allows you to do it with the original code, why should we be punished? & more to the point why isnt it fixed if its highly against the CoC!?

but it DOESENT allow u to do it! u have to ABUSE A BUG to be able to plant the shrooms up there in the first place!! trying to plant it up there the NORMAL way doesent work. hence u loose ;)

boppas

Fledgling Freddie
aye but you dont need to go out the way to install 3rd party software to do it, becuase its already in the game along with many other bugs due to poor coding which allows us to abuse/exploit them.. s simple fix would solve issues such as the shrooming one... but they cba & instead throw the blame on the player base & say crap like "we dont like ppl cheating & we will ban you!" a good place for them to start is REMOVE the bugs that allow ppl to abuse them, muppets! :)

Coolan

One of Freddy's beloved
its easier for them to leave the bugs in the game, because this way they can say well you were abusing a known bug, which means we can ban you, how else are they ment to fill there banning list :)

If they got rid of the bugs they couldnt fill there list up.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Coolan said:
its easier for them to leave the bugs in the game, because this way they can say well you were abusing a known bug, which means we can ban you, how else are they ment to fill there banning list :)

If they got rid of the bugs they couldnt fill there list up.

Think of all teh revenue they get from banning people who then go on and play something else instead....truly teh pot of gold must overflow!

elbeek

Part of the furniture
I agree that these "known" bugs need attention but we don't know how difficult they are to fix. It is up to the players not to abuse bugs, wether well known or not. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to see where GOA are coming from. They expect us to play fair and bug abusing, however minor, is not fair.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I don't think that speculating on the quality of the code or the ability of the programmers to fix bugs is really helpful here. Any software much more complicated than "Hello World" is likely to have bugs. Any even slightly complicated software is likely to have hundreds of bugs and I'd imagine something the size of DAOC has thousands or tens of thousands.

The fact that bugs are still being discovered in old content shows that even thousands of "testers" (that's us) can't find every bug. Plus Mythic are commited to long-term development and expansion of DAOC. I would think that if a bug isn't damaging to the game as a whole (duping, account hacking or maybe RP/XP cheats) and can be dealt with via a CoC ruling, that is a good idea. It's highly likely that fixing exploits like the DF stair-shrooming thing would involve huge changes to the LOS code for the game. That is simply NOT going to happen. I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask the community not to abuse and then warn/ban people who ignore it.

Anyone involved in software development knows that you can only kludge so much before a system becomes unmaintainable. You can't just throw in a fix that says "allow shrooms everywhere apart from here...oh, and here...and this bit...". I think DAOC is an epic piece of software and I think that it has amazingly few bugs and an even fewer number of "showstopper" bugs. I think the speed with which Mythic react to game-breaking issues is very impressive. Because of the nature of MMORPGs, basically running an MMORPG is like allowing 30,000 hackers onto your system, since most people will look for any advantage they can find to get a leg-up in the game.

The police could stop rapes and murders tomorrow by locking up every person in the world, but it's not practical. What the "real world" (big room, blue ceiling...) does is creates a set of rules by which people who wish to enjoy freedom in that particular jurisdiction are required to live by. There is very little in the way of pre-emptive crime-fighting. The police don't try to make it harder to murder people, but they work very hard to make sure that people don't do it twice. CoC works the same way.

Sure it can be annoying and there are people who flaunt or plain ignore the rules and get away with it...same as the real world. Just enjoy the knowledge that they are cheating scum and you are playing the game the right way, supporting the community and trying to make the game fair for yourself and others. People who don't play like that will eventually get what they deserve.

(oh...degree in Software Engineering and a few years of IT support and software development experience :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom