Should the United Kingdom join the Euro?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Here are the ad's and disad's in short:

BBC News | Single currency | Pros and cons

With this in mind - should we join the euro? Personally, I am pro euro. It is only a matter of time before the pound gets phased out by other currencies, as more and more countries come together in unions. BUT, we need to make sure we join when the time is right. It was not economically viable for us in the early naughties because we were having massive growth and EU less so. But now the dust has settled, we should think about it for the near (or more distant) future.

Your thoughts & opinion?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'm no Tory, but i think we should drop of the EU all together. It's a shit idea and run by shit people.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Fuck them and their stupid ways. All that nonesense about Sarcozy using our naval ships as he's too cheap to build a new one of their own

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
I also think we should leave the EU. It's doing nothing for us is it.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I was speaking to a guy in Amterdam about this and he said that when they changed to the euro they all got shafted his rent went from the guilder (sp??) to euro without taking in to consideration the difference between the currency.

so it'd be like me going to zimbabwe and paying 2000,000 pounds for a loaf of bread Oo

however, if they could assure us that we would not get shafted by it then i'd be all for it. I can't say that I am in any way shape or form emotionally attached to the money we use now, its just bits of metal and paper.

Mey

Part of the furniture
woot lets give more of our countries controls to the EUC!

Then we can also be shite like France!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
not having to change money is hardly an advantage is it?

i personally as an average joe dont give a shit about a businesses insurance costs either.

so there is 2 advantages and 5 disadvantages in the list!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Changing to the EU changes f*ck all of the normal bloke.

Sure, the cash change pumped the prices up in FInland, BUT, the pound is greater then the Euro so it would *drumroll* probably pump your prices down.

And from what i've heard, you could use some of that.

Also, staying independent is fine and dandy, UK as UK and all, but...that also means that if things progress as they seem to do in your part, soon you'd be happy to have some "allies".

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
TBH, I'm just waiting for the day when we form the United States of Europe, as it will be the only way we can compete economically with China and Russia in the future.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
ok this is how it went here.

We had the Gulden (guilder) 1 € was worth 2.1something gulden.

Goverment didnt let us vote on it, because they knew we all voted no.
(allthough they said it was because we were the EU pioneers etc and had to set good example + good for ecomy)

Anyways nowadays its all fakking pricey :p its like instead of the fl (gulden sign) they just put up the € sign..

however!!!!...

The € is so unbelievable easy to work with if u travel. And dutch people tend to travel much..

I cannot say i dislike having the Euro..

Yes stuff got more expensive, but then again.. it would too if we had the Gulden.

€ > fl.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
yeah i have to say when i was using euros i found it much easier.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Changing to the EU changes f*ck all of the normal bloke.

Sure, the cash change pumped the prices up in FInland, BUT, the pound is greater then the Euro so it would *drumroll* probably pump your prices down.

And from what i've heard, you could use some of that.

Also, staying independent is fine and dandy, UK as UK and all, but...that also means that if things progress as they seem to do in your part, soon you'd be happy to have some "allies".

The euro is bollocks, they should just stop all the talk now because Ireland have pretty much ended any hopes they have of uniting everyone.

Most people are aware that we have some of the best trained forces in the world, along with the best equipment. They like having us as allies as opposed to the other way round. America will always back us up and that is enough :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
In answer to the question, 100% no.

On a semi-unrelated issue, I like what the Australians have done with their bank notes. They're basically plastic. Waterproof, tearproof, and due to the technology used to print the notes, are fiendishly difficult to fake

Chronictank

FH is my second home
yes, american economy is going down the pan we should move into europe where there is some form of stability
However the loss of the pound would mean a big loss of control over the uk economy

As far as the irish go, just offer them benefits or something as a bribe and they will quickly change their minds

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
The way i see it European countries need to be someones bitches to survive. For the UK its either Europe or the US but if its Europe then you'll be one of the big bitches instead of being just a bitch.

k?

So yes.

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
EU doesn't need UK to grow big, but UK needs EU to stay big. Most of the euro economic politics made are wise. The euro is a valuable asset to all the countrys using it, and yes it lowers the economic independance of the states. But it also prevents economics partners to fuck your economy (something common when all the currencys were diferent) since the changes made affect everyone using Euro.
Prices went up after the euro was introduced, but don't forget that happened also in states that did not joined the euro, so it's a common urban legend used by anti-euros...
I'm used to travel alot in europe and it's fucking nice to don't have to change my money everytime i take a plane.
And england independance is a great pratical joke :D

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
yes, american economy is going down the pan we should move into europe where there is some form of stability
However the loss of the pound would mean a big loss of control over the uk economy

As far as the irish go, just offer them benefits or something as a bribe and they will quickly change their minds

I doubt it is a simple as that, the reason it was declined was because the people of the country did not understand all of the political bollocks inside the document.

No sensible leader of a country in their right mind would have a referendum then choose to go against it.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I can't really see why you would need to change your currency to Euro to be apart of the EU, stay strong old currency brethren!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The euro is bollocks, they should just stop all the talk now because Ireland have pretty much ended any hopes they have of uniting everyone.

Most people are aware that we have some of the best trained forces in the world, along with the best equipment. They like having us as allies as opposed to the other way round. America will always back us up and that is enough :p

Well if your armed forces are your strongest "merit", then i'll just let you stay on your island :D

It's just true, no apologies needed, that the US has, while backing your arse and vise versa, made the british army have the same rep of "back shooting gun tooting morons" as the US troops.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Using an article from 1997 does not give you a true picture of the pros and cons.

I do not think that the UK should commit anymore to the EU, things are ok as they are for now. Circumstances change though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
TBH, I'm just waiting for the day when we form the United States of Europe, as it will be the only way we can compete economically with China and Russia in the future.

Compete with Russia economically? they are basically bankrupt, why would anyone want to compete with that? :p

As for China, once the people start wanting a slice of the money they are making they will be fucked.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
Compete with Russia economically? they are basically bankrupt, why would anyone want to compete with that? :p

As for China, once the people start wanting a slice of the money they are making they will be fucked.

Woah raven. I have to say you are the most optimistic person ive ever met. Economic challenges? Nah, the chinese are fucked anyway. Global warming? Bullshit. Peak oil? Bring on the biofuels!

Its all cool...

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
For me despite the benefits and negatives of joining it all comes down to 1 thing why i say NO.

I don`t want no fookin Kraut telling me how my country should be run! Its bad enough a sweaty socks ruining it as it is.:england:

Sorry i know thats not very PC or forward thinking but...

tris-

I don`t want no fookin Kraut telling me how my country should be run! Its bad enough a sweaty socks ruining it as it is.:england:

but they already do.

EU makes a directive. each country must then implement that into their own legal system, in how ever they do that, in a certain time frame etc.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
but they already do.

EU makes a directive. each country must then implement that into their own legal system, in how ever they do that, in a certain time frame etc.

Not quite true. The UK has a get out clause on many things, just can't remember what it is.

tris-

Not quite true. The UK has a get out clause on many things, just can't remember what it is.

im not sure thats correct.

there is regulations which affect every member state and apply immediatley. if domestic law contravenes it, the domestic law doesnt apply. the member state does not need to modify anything.

a directive is a goal which can apply to specific states or all of them and requires them to implement it into domestic law, in their own ways, by a certain time. i.e. package holiday regulations, human rights act, fertiliser regulations etc

afaik the only time a directive will not apply is if the eu commission dictates that it will apply only to certain states.

if the member state doesnt implement the directive, they can be fined.

if you know of some facts on the contrary id be glad to read em, as id rather be right than wrong. i just cant find anything on google about a get out clause or things of that nature :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

Bankrupt? You are joking right? They are sat on a mountain of oil and natural gas they sell to European countries for huge profits. Those profits mean Russia is now cash rich, so rich infact that they are rebuilding thier strategic bomber force and upgrading a fuckload of tanks and artillery.

In 10 years time Russia will have a strangehold on Europe, 80% of our natural gas will come from them so if we don't play nice they will switch us off just like the did to Ukraine last year. Russia is rising, very very quickly. The worst part about it, we helped them do it by investing billions and billions into building thier energy extraction facilites and funding the search for new oil fields.

Frankly we signed our own deathwarrant economically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom