Should the 1p coin be abolished?

should the 1 cent / 1 penny coin be scrapped?

• Yes ! Time to get practical ffs

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • No. I love our smallest coin.

Votes: 17 50.0%

• Total voters

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
or depending on where u come from the 1 cent Euro coin?

Its useless, right? Just have everything in multiples of 5. Whats the point? You end up collecting a jar full of them, then you have to take the fuckers somewhere to be counted (if you're lucky, otherwise YOU have to bag them up into 100s) & changed for something useful. When was the last time you actually used a 1p / 1c coin?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No, every penny counts. Plus inflation isn't like Greece or Zimbabwe, so we actually have a use for small change.

Just go shop at poundland and stop moaning :)

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
ermm if things were charged at £1.00 or say £0.05p then yeah get rid of it, but otherwise you cant give or get the right change at the shop if you buy something for £0.46p :)

EDIT: I would like £5 notes from ATM's though.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The way I look at it is that if we abolish the 1p coin it will just give companies an excuse to round up prices to the nearest even number. That will be an inflationary factor all on it's own at a time when we need to lower inflation.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
rounding up is used in denmark. we had the 25 øre (0.03 quid). We have always been rounding up from 12.5> = 25 øre and 26> = 50 øre 76> = 1 krone. on visa tho you can charged the complete amount and not the aprox.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The denmark thing makes more sense to me. You buy something for $0.46, and hand over a $1 note. Are you really that bothered if they give you a $0.50 coin back? What would you have done with that £0.04? Save it up & buy a Porsche? C'mon...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you are happy to give more money than an item is worth you go ahead, I'm happy with paying the actual price, and not wasting the money I've worked hard for.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
It works both ways. The number of times I've gone to a petrol station, bought gas for (say), £15.07, handed over a 20 note, and been given a 5 note back

Olgaline

FH is my second home
For the bigger companies and the banks, it's a potential gold mine!
but, you can just use you (dankort)/visa.. although, most shops and companies are now adjusting their shelf prices to accomidate the lack of the 25øre, but! you wont see any
one adjusting down, thats for sure ;)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I'm sure just about every business would love to be allowed to do some price skimming! It can make large companies millions, if not billions...

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
no cos it would stop this

LESS THAN A THOUSAND POUNDS!!!11

rrp: £999.99

:cheers:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
ermm if things were charged at £1.00 or say £0.05p then yeah get rid of it, but otherwise you cant give or get the right change at the shop if you buy something for £0.46p :)

Could try what we here use;

Largest coin is a 5p.
If something costs 1-2p, it's rounded down. If it's 3-4p, it's rounded up(to 5p). (from total cost ofc) So in your case it would simply cost 45p.

So without fiddling about with 1p coins, you get an even payment/return.

The prices also stay at 1p level, because the shop gets about even return/diminish from customers.

Ofcourse that means that you need to have form of decency among traders to allow returns ;)

It also takes no other change for a country then; "Tell cashiers to do this.", remove 1p from circulation and you're done. Welcome to the land of the future.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
If you are happy to give more money than an item is worth you go ahead, I'm happy with paying the actual price, and not wasting the money I've worked hard for.

it works both ways dude. you're just thinking in the negative.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Yep, get rid of them and price everything either £1.00 or £0.95

Then get the fucking retarded 5p coin, make it bigger (cause we've all picked up some change between thumb and finger, which then explodes everywhere because a shitty 5p was somewhere in the middle messing with the balance).

Oh 1p and 2p's stink! It's the metal used I think?

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
(cause we've all picked up some change between thumb and finger, which then explodes everywhere because a shitty 5p was somewhere in the middle messing with the balance)

I lol'd since working in a store now its happened to me :clap:

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Worked in Australia, no 1c or 2c coins over there.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Wouldn't mind things actually being full price =/ 99p does my head in, amount of times I've looked at the 1p coin changed and cringed. Usually either drop it in charity boxes or end up leaving it on my shelf (had about £20 of 1p coins saved up in uni, that was a long day at ASDA heh)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That's a good point OD, not that you meant to make it :)

This would really impact charities, as a lot of people give "useless" change away at the till point.

Also a lot of people do the change bottles, especially kids, you cruel fuckers!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We put all our 1s, 2s, 5s 10s and 20s in a jar and save them up over the year and use the money for xmas booze and nibbles. Usually have around £100 saved up over the year.

As a day to day currency they are near useless though and it would be nice to see more shops have a charity tin on the tills so you can just put them in there.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
We put all our 1s, 2s, 5s 10s and 20s in a jar and save them up over the year and use the money for xmas booze and nibbles. Usually have around £100 saved up over the year.

As a day to day currency they are near useless though and it would be nice to see more shops have a charity tin on the tills so you can just put them in there.

You must be posh, I do all my shopping for the week with 1s 2s and 5s! :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
the thing is, taking away 1-2p wouldn't change any occurance mentioned.

You would get more 5p for people to put in charity boxes(etc) then now and it would balance everything out.

Let's say these are 4 of your shop numbers;

Now with the 1p system, you'd pay 11p for anythng over 5p(10s or 5s).

Without the 1-2p, you'd pay a flat 10p (for anything over 5p), as the last two are rounded down.

In that instance you're actually saving money(if you actually care for 1p :p).

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
or keep it as it is cause theres nothing wrong with the current system

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
or keep it as it is cause theres nothing wrong with the current system

Improving over stale in this isntance.

It's outdated and useless, but i guess it's a british way to stick to anything and everything and not give into any change even if it would help cure world hunger :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom