Should motorcyclists be allowed to use the bus lanes ?

Should motorcyclists be allowed to use the bus lanes ?

• Total voters

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
different situations different dangers...

And yet you argue that you're right and i'm wrong?

so are making an un-informed comment about "jsut gas break steer" mentality. Sure someone can behave on the day, but most of us tend to follow the law and the ones who don't when reported/caught eventually lose their liscence

And it wasn't an "un-informed", i know what's in a driving school etc.

Just saying, i also KNOW that rotten apples get through and you see them every day.

I just hate that you're saying your'e ABSOLUTELY right and i'm wrong, in any case, while at the same time saying "yes, both have bad apples", when at first, it was the bokes fault.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i am ultimately right, there is no if or maybe
it is a FACT you need to pass a test to drive a car
it is a FACT you do not need to pass any test to get on a bike as you can do it under a provisional
Which means by default a driver of a car who has passed a test (which in the uk at least is pretty strict nowdays as you have to do a theroy, hazard perception and a practical test on real roads) on average is better than one who hasn't
Furthermore your example of a truck driver is also flawed, they have to do even more test with even more regulation and suffer bigger penalties for being incompetant

Opinion has f' all to do with this, which is why your views hold no weight as a responce to my post

To be quite frank i doubt you have a liscence if you think passing a driving test is just "gas, break, steer"
Whereas getting a provisional for a bike is very nearly just "gas, break, steer"

Edited to fix spelling and language

bear in mind, passing a UK driving test has fuck all to do with actually being able to drive :p

as for the bikes, meh, much like cars, dont ban the machine, just ban the wankers who cant use em sensibly, and dont tar them all with the same brush

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
i read that as implying a liscence makes no difference to competance

Then i get the misunderstanding.

I meant, that a piece of paper means nothing, if the paper holder is incompetent, and it seems that there are a lot of those around.

Ofcourse training is always training, but even if you can put the book in the a-hole, you can't change the fact it's an a-hole.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i dont like bikes, they scare the bejeezus out of me when im driving and they zoom past through heavy traffic, bunch of nutters

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Chronic, you're right in a way, there should be tighter licencing for people getting into bikes. When I first got my motorbike I had passed a 1 day CBT cource that really didnt go much further than telling me where the ignition, accellerator and breaks are.

When I first got on the road I spent a week going around areas with no cars (car parks, disused roads etc), It was fully a week of driving for a couple of hours ever day before I was happy enough to go on the 'proper roads'. However I do not think that just because I hadnt at the point taken a test as rigerous as a standard drivers licence means that I was a danger to everyone on the road. I drove responsibly and although I made occasional mistakes, I wasnt reckless or stupid.

Practically every day I see idiots in suped up chav-cars zooming around, cutting people up, running red lights, overtaking on the inside, overtaking on corners or when an oncoming car is blatantly too close. These people have had a more thorough testing process however they are far more dangerous than I am on the road.

I do not see how it is the fault of the motorbike, nor the fault of everyone who rides that sort of vehicle. Alot of kids act stupidly because they can, its easy to get a bike like you have said, that isnt bikers faults though and not all of us are idiots or reckless or irresponsible.

I enjoy driving, I filter, but I do it in a manner that is safe - slowly, watching for pedestrians emerging from between the stationary cars and always ready to move into a position in-lane once the traffic starts flowing again.

The whole idea of a motorbike is that it is enjoyable and it significantly cuts down on congestion. It might not be *as* safe as a car, but I do not believe it is anywhere near as bad as people here are making out.

Infact I would go as far as to say that riding a bike improves your overall driving ability, because you have to be that much more aware of the road, conditions, etc; you're constantly more alert because it just isn't as easy to get distracted from what you're doing as it is in a car.

You have points with what you're saying, but bikers arent all as bad as you're making out.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Infact I would go as far as to say that riding a bike improves your overall driving ability, because you have to be that much more aware of the road, conditions, etc; you're constantly more alert because it just isn't as easy to get distracted from what you're doing as it is in a car.

You have points with what you're saying, but bikers arent all as bad as you're making out.

Hehe think my aggresive stance has made me come across as somewhat anti-bike, i'm not really, if thats your thing great
Unforutnately the minority who abuse the system force rules on the majority, much the same as speed camera's and trusting people to be responsible is a mistake regarding the bus lanes (although the ones on the motorway are a joke, off-peak they should be usable by cars or maybe even have a cyclist lane (as in push bikes, on reflection this might be a silly idea :p)

Tbh its even worse nowdays those chavs are moving onto bikes, you see them doing wheelies and shit down in the council estates when you drive through such area's
yeterday i almost ran one over as he zoomed out of a little pedestrian lane onto the road in front of me, i doubt he even knew i was there as he didnt look back at all
to top it off he had a girl on the back, the mentality of some people

apologies to seel as he wasn't saying what i thought he was saying

kirennia

Part of the furniture

I would agree that as biker, you'll be much more aware of what is going on because its dangerous. It doesn't matter though, you can be the safest driver on the earth but when a car doesn't see you, it's game over.

Bikers aren't that bad, it's mostly down to car users who don't see a biker in time.

tierk

Part of the furniture
.......You just need to pass.....

Personally i passed my test the first time and no problmes but i am a pretty safe driver. My nephew failed the test 6 times, which, imo, shows that it isnt quite as easy as all the people on here are trying to make out.

A person hit by a car at 20mph is likely to escape with minor injuries, a person hit by a motorcycle at the same speed is not......

I been hit by a twat on a motorbike before and it wasnt pleasant at all but i have to say it is nothing compared been hit by a car, which i have also had the pleasure of, in the days that i used to cycle.

The guy on the bike was undertaking naturally and wasnt even looking at me or anything just giving it welly and B.A.N.G. What a wanker but, on the upside the tossers bike was totally fucked. I didnt bother pressing charges or anything even though the policeman said i could /should and i didnt bother geting and compo as the guy was good enough to call around and see me in hospital and apologies.

The moron with the car just decided to oull out on me on West End Lane in London which is a big fuck off hill, as i was going down it at like 30-45kmh and he just pulled out in his big fuck off Jag making me serve to avoid him, only to get hit by another car swerving to avoid the Jag as well. Hospital food for over three weeks and lucky to be here tbh.

My point being that car drivers are shit as well as motorbike riders and the government should improve public transport so that less people would use both methods.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
apologies to seel as he wasn't saying what i thought he was saying

Not at all, and no need for apologies, it's a discussion and it's as much my fault as yours that there was more of a misunderstanding.

tierk, i'm not saying "it's so easy", but i'm also saying, it's not THAT hard either.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I been hit by a twat on a motorbike before and it wasnt pleasant at all but i have to say it is nothing compared been hit by a car, which i have also had the pleasure of, in the days that i used to cycle.

The guy on the bike was undertaking naturally and wasnt even looking at me or anything just giving it welly and B.A.N.G. What a wanker but, on the upside the tossers bike was totally fucked. I didnt bother pressing charges or anything even though the policeman said i could /should and i didnt bother geting and compo as the guy was good enough to call around and see me in hospital and apologies.

The moron with the car just decided to oull out on me on West End Lane in London which is a big fuck off hill, as i was going down it at like 30-45kmh and he just pulled out in his big fuck off Jag making me serve to avoid him, only to get hit by another car swerving to avoid the Jag as well. Hospital food for over three weeks and lucky to be here tbh.

My point being that car drivers are shit as well as motorbike riders and the government should improve public transport so that less people would use both methods.
was talking about pedestrians really :p
you cant really compare the 2 as one was a head on collision, i have no idea which would cause more damage if your both on bikes but i guess both of you would get hurt opposed to the one on the bike?

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
As a biker, personally the idea of riding in bus lanes is kinna zzz - I wouldn't want to be sat in traffic sandwiched between two of the fkers, that's for sure!

Lollie

Loyal Freddie
As a biker, personally the idea of riding in bus lanes is kinna zzz - I wouldn't want to be sat in traffic sandwiched between two of the fkers, that's for sure!

qft!!

as for the bus lane thing, if done correctly filtering is good enough for us, the problem is when fucktard drivers see us comming and close the gap stopping us getting thro. pure spite

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
proove me otherwise (based on UK law ofc), no matter your opinion (which inevitably will be skewed) the FACT of the matter is you need to pass a test to drive a car unsupervised legally
This is not the case for a bike

WRONG !

You need to pass your CBT before they'll let you ride a bike 125cc or under

CBT = Compulsory Basic Training

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
i am ultimately right, there is no if or maybe
it is a FACT you need to pass a test to drive a car
it is a FACT you do not need to pass any test to get on a bike as you can do it under a provisional
Which means by default a driver of a car who has passed a test (which in the uk at least is pretty strict nowdays as you have to do a theroy, hazard perception and a practical test on real roads) on average is better than one who hasn't
Furthermore your example of a truck driver is also flawed, they have to do even more test with even more regulation and suffer bigger penalties for being incompetant

Opinion has f' all to do with this, which is why your views hold no weight as a responce to my post

To be quite frank i doubt you have a liscence if you think passing a driving test is just "gas, break, steer"
Whereas getting a provisional for a bike is very nearly just "gas, break, steer"

Edited to fix spelling and language
you do need to pass a test to ride a moped/bike.....CBT. or full bike liscence to enable you to ride say....a gsxr 750...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I wasn't aware motorcyclists knew what a lane was, what with the amount of times they skim my wing mirror.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
I CLICKED ON ONE OF THE OPTIONS WITH CLOSED EYES, SO THE POLL IS NOW ALL WRONG

AHAHAAhaha

sorry, im bored :/

"Act your age Wonk"
"Aye aye folks"

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Actually Wonk, you clicked on the right option.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Actually Wonk, you clicked on the right option.

I did?

I should go make a "dont you ever feel like spassing out on FH, when you're trying to concentrade, but can't because of boredom" thread :/

Chronictank

FH is my second home
WRONG !

You need to pass your CBT before they'll let you ride a bike 125cc or under

CBT = Compulsory Basic Training

it not a test.... its barely basic training much like Pass Plus
you have to be a complete moron to fail it

This also has already been covered read the thread

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
it not a test.... its barely basic training much like Pass Plus
you have to be a complete moron to fail it

This also has already been covered read the thread

Very true m8, the CBT is a piece of piss. Ridiculously simple. I've got a full motorcycle licence. Thats a proper test. Anyway...

You get good and bad motorcyclists / car drivers. I ride my motorbike in & around London every day. I've seen some appalling driving - particularly white vans & builders lorries. And yes I've seen some fucking crazy motorbike couriers, but also some seriously risk-taking cyclists. There are far more worse 4 wheel drivers than motorbike riders in my view.

Motorcyclists are so much more vulnerable than people in cars, and most bikers (and I know a lot) are safe riders. They know how exposed they are and to be a biker in London you need eyes in the back of your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom