Should Mortal Kombat be an 18?

H

hyper-man

Should Mortal Kombat be an 18 rated game? some people yes and others say: 'well if you can turn the blood off.........'

W

whipped

It's no worse than some episodes of The Bill. So why bother?

E

Embattle

I just think they shouldn't bother making it any more :)

C

.cage

Embattle: MK5 is very good, and has been very successful in the states. Why should one bad title, and four 90's classics stop them making it anymore?

I've pre-ordered it for the 14th, and will be looking forward to it. The first MK game to be released since i've turned 18, I remember playing MK2 in the arcades, knowing all the fatalities at about 10 years old, and its not warped me THAT much :)

(And no, it shouldn't be 18 cert. - the violence etc. is more comedic and silly than at all serious)

L

leggy

Looks pretty damn good....will bring meh arcade days rushing back :D

It will have an advisory type rating but no official rating... there is no point. Like Cagey said its more comedic that anything else.

I hope they do the finishers justice.

C

.cage

heh, i have gamespot complete, so ive got some movies of some of the fatalities, want me to up a couple?

J

jis

Looks a great game will be getting it on ps2 :)

N

nath

Yes it should be an 18. If it's anything like the others, the violence is pretty graphic. And tbh, all the rating system does is tell the parents that it's a bit dodgy. If they don't want their kids playing it, fine, plus kids can't buy it themselves. If the parents don't mind too much they'll just buy it for their kids anyway.

E

Embattle

MK 1 was funny when it first appeared but was no match for the SF series and since then most of the follow ups have just been poor remakes...imo.

C

.cage

okay but you haven't played this, or evidently bothered to read anything about it, so your judgement is quite void. As gamespot and ed boon have said, its totally reworked into a decent 3d fighter. Not a trace of mk1/2/3/4 bar character design and setting.

(And yes, it wasn't any match for the SF series. The only game thats come even half close to it is tekken tag tourney, almost 10 years later...)

E

Embattle

You're right I haven't played it and neither have you so you're going off your judgement and a reviewers, tbh since you said this:

Why should one bad title, and four 90's classics stop them making it anymore?
clearly shows our views on past ones to be different so I think you'll find your judgement just as void as you think mine is.

I'll wait and see more reviews then give it a play myself just to see what it is like. Any way I find all 3D fighting games start on a negative score because so far they have never managed the greatness of the 2D fighters I used to play all the time.

T

tris-

even with blood it shouldnt be an 18. if someone spends alot of time learning combos etc playing games like this, it improves all kinds of skills you can use IRL.

edit: im not saying you play it to learn, but you will probably get more dextrous with your fingures and a better memory etc.

W

wolfeeh

cough ahem cough

best console fighter on ANY format is CLEARLY Soul Calibur [dreamcast]

W

wolfeeh

cough ahem cough

best console fighter on ANY format is CLEARLY Soul Calibur [dreamcast]

S

Scooba Da Bass

I got put off Soul Calibur watching some guy beat people using one hand to do nothing but tap buttons.

I used to rate Tekken 2 (without using angel/devil) pretty highly, but it tended to come down to who got the first few hits in.

I guess it's gotta be either Garou or one of the Alphas, dunno which tho.

S

Sar

MK5 plays well enough, just not well enough to make me all wet though.

MK2 was the best of the MK games imo. It had humour and chop socky in equal amounts, which made for a fine game.

M

Munkey-

its an ok game, average not great. Sheer amount of blood produced per hit is a bit too much and makes me think that they have more blood than a whale in them.

Annoying thing is that a) no lightning guy (or else i havent found him yet) and b) its impossible to dislodge that fucking sword when they throw it in you.

I like how you can change combat styles tho.

Still prefer tekken 4 as MK is a bit to slow moving for my liking

C

.cage

Originally posted by Embattle
SF Alpha 2 was one of the best I played.
we agree at last

tekken 4 is shit in comparison to tag anyway :|

S

Sar

Originally posted by Munkey-
at a) no lightning guy (or else i havent found him yet) and b) its impossible to dislodge that fucking sword when they throw it in you.
Raiden is an unlockable character.

N

nath

Originally posted by .cage
we agree at last

tekken 4 is shit in comparison to tag anyway :|

It took me ages to come to terms with this, but that's true ://

TTT is win.

However, I do like Jins new fighting style... it's just that he has so few moves :/

W

Wij

I used to 0wn with Nash on SFA2 :)

They toned down his anti-air punch priority though for SFA3. I abused that to the max and used to spend virtually all the fight walking forwards or throwing a slow sonic-boom and then following it in and countering what they threw at me :/

SFA2 > all.

M

Munkey-

Originally posted by Sar

Raiden is an unlockable character.
really? rah. I prefer these games multiplayer and dont really take the time to unlock most of the characters as it gets reptivie and boring after a while

C

CptDoom

Mortal combat should have an age rating of 100, that way u will (probably) never have the misfortune to playe this over-rated dogshite series of a game, mythologies anyone?..

Seriously tho, ive tried several arcarde version of this, have 4 versions running gloriously running in mame, tried mk4 on n64 and ps2 and tbh if MK5 is going to prove any good they need to get Capcom onboard and shoot the producers of the MK series, ditch all the stupid characters that were on it and replace with anything maybe even stretching as far as Rise of the Robots characters.

This is a terrible franchise and should have been shot at birth, admittedly the V64 of MK2 version on NTSC machine looked sweet when it first came out but i had more fun just watching other people play it. Any other game that recquires a block button (soul calibur is forgiven) should not be made any way shape of form. Ever. Rant over.

BTW the fighting game i class as truly classic is probably sf2ex, hundreds of pounds spent on it and now a lovely version to stick in my mame cabinet has just shown up so me is very happy, oh and capcom vs snk 2 is pretty damn gorgeous too.

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by CptDoom
capcom vs snk 2 is pretty damn gorgeous too.
Damn straight. As for Mortal Kombat, original = good, II = tried too hard (babilities ffs), rest = pants. Nobody pays attention to the ratings systems anyhow, so until they become properly enforced it matters not whether it carries an 18 rating.

W

Wij

The combat in MK5 is supposed tobear no real relation to the others. It's generally got OK reviews. Nothing special but nowhere near as bad as the last one.

Guilty Gear X2 looks cool :)

C

CptDoom

edge gave it 4 out of 10, i hate to sound retarded but i trust no other review ;)

Users who are viewing this thread