FH Subscriber
Same...and fake details on sites.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
9 million U.K. accounts compromised....

psndada.jpg

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
So when are people gonna start bashing the thiefs (hackers) who stole this info.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Blimey the SOE hack was done April 16-17 and theyve only just noticed?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Yep, SOE got hacked as well, but it seems they caught it in time as the only thing they got a hold of is an outdated database from 2007.

SOE - Customer Service Notification

The compensation is slightly on the "lol" side tho, 30 free days of sub +1 for every day the games are down.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
So when are people gonna start bashing the thiefs (hackers) who stole this info.

That's what hackers do so the rage has to be directed at Sony. If Sony don't secure the info properly then someone will steal it. We put our trust in the companies we give our info to to secure it. We do not put our trust in hackers to not steal data. It's Sony that's let us down.

By your reasoning Sony could leave the data in the street cos it would be the thief's fault, not theirs, if it got stolen :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just to cheer Sony up a bit. Maybe some enterprising Linux bods will cobble together OtherPSN++ so we can all actually play some games while Sony mop up their shit?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
That's what hackers do so the rage has to be directed at Sony.

Aha, so just because they are hackers it's ok for them to do this?

Sony encrypting their info or not doesn't have anything to do with it, yes it was stupid i'l give you that. But it IS the hackers fault things are what they are, not Sonys.

So yes, the rage should be directed at the hackers responsible.

Sony did not encrypt personal data. That is unforgivable.

Yes, quite. But that still doesn't give a bunch of retard hackers the all clear to hack Sony.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No, it's Sony's fault. It's their responsibility to protect the personal data they collect from criminals.

If you leave your door open and get robbed, the buglers have committed a criminal act, but the police will point out that it's your fault for giving them the opportunity and your insurer will refuse to pay out as you are at fault.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I thought everyone knew that picture was a UKR regular :)

Anyway, it's dead, get over it.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
No, it's Sony's fault. It's their responsibility to protect the personal data they collect from criminals.

If you leave your door open and get robbed, the buglers have committed a criminal act, but the police will point out that it's your fault for giving them the opportunity and your insurer will refuse to pay out as you are at fault.

But you can't put the whole blame on Sony, yes it was incredibly stupid not to encrypt the data, but even if they did they would still have been hacked, and things would still be as they are now.

Sure less people might have been directly affected, but that only depends on how good and determined the hackers are, and who they are.

Because if the rumors are true then at least one of them is an ex tech employee that would likely have had the encryption key if Sony would have encrypted it.

I still blame the hackers because if not for them i wouldn't have had the need to sit and talk to my bank for a total of 10 hours this week. And most likely a whole lot longer then that in the future if it's really bad.

So yes, Sony is retarded but i still blame the hackers.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Stupid edit timer.. :(

besides, apparently CC data were encrypted, but not user account information. It's not much but hey, at this point i take what i can get... :)

So now i just need to pay attention to if someone tries to apply for a new CC in my name... >.<

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Stupid edit timer.. :(

besides, apparently CC data were encrypted, but not user account information. It's not much but hey, at this point i take what i can get... :)

So now i just need to pay attention to if someone tries to apply for a new CC in my name... >.<

Wasn't some of the data hashed but not actually encrypted? Don't ask me the difference as I am far from any kind of expert but from what I have read it has been suggested that the passwords were hashed and that is the weak point because people do not use different passwords for every site.

For that reason alone it is totally Sony's fault, they did not take customer security anywhere near seriously enough and if what I am hearing about datacenter security and access is true then the lawsuits are totally justified.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Wij

I am a FH squatter
They haven't salted-hashed our passwords so the hackers now have a huge list of email addresses and passwords which will gain them access to loads of accounts on loads of sites. Not protecting at least the passwords to any decent level of security is ENTIRELY Sony's fault.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Think I am just going to mod mine and be done with it. If it bricks it bricks. If it works I will at least have got rid of the tedious DRM shit and be able to play my ill-gotten films on it! Certainly not using PSN again.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Well, this is a bit of a pickle really isn't it. Pretty messy situation in all honesty, and I don't think we are anywhere near to getting to the bottom of it, in the meantime a few thoughts.

1) People having the same password for several sites. Erm duh. People who do this should not be allowed on the internet for their own safety, it strikes me as "How to give someone access to everything you have - 101". I have a few different ones - anything "important" like PSN, Gmail, MSN, Banks, Vodafone, FH and PH etc all have their own which I generally remember (unless I never use them - see point 6), the stuff I don't give a shit about can have generic ones.

2) Sony's security. Going by official release it appears they did everything required by law to protect customer data, so I'd be surprised if any official sanctions would be employed, however - they have pissed off a lot of customers, with what justification we shall see.

3) The FBI seem as baffled as Sony as to what the fuck just went on, if SCEE had done something idiotic they would probably say so. This leads to point 4).

4) Judging by how baffled everyone appears this appears to have been a serious, organised attack. With the Bin Laden thing happening, are we seeing the start of the new wave of organised crime? Is PSN going to be the first of many? The feds alluded to this in their soundbite, do they have a bald man in a vest to save the day if it does happen?

5) Can we have PSN back now please?

6) Can whoever has hacked it please email me my password to a different email address, as I've forgotten mine and the email I registered with doesn't work any more.

That's about it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So, you don't think it was a bad idea holding all the information in plain text...including passwords? Rather than encrypting them?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
He's too far up Sony's arse to be able to respond Raven.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
So, you don't think it was a bad idea holding all the information in plain text...including passwords? Rather than encrypting them?

I'm finding it to be a worse idea to run the psn servers on unpatched apache servers with no firewall tbfh. :)

If it's true that is...

/edit:
6) Can whoever has hacked it please email me my password to a different email address, as I've forgotten mine and the email I registered with doesn't work any more.

You don't keep you're email up to date for something you pay monthly for?

You almost deserve the hassle for that really :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom