Shield changes

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
Bonehead said:
I just have to say, im almost looking forward to fight Sacre with his MOB5 MOP5 or whatever he has... he's almost impossible to hit today. What will happen with 1.87 goes live? :)
I was thinking the same thing. :p
Kagato said:
The only real problem with shields is the fact its got such a rediculously high hard cap.

All other passive defenses are hard capped at almost half as much if not less, yet shield you can just keep on raising and raising.

And this is already on top of shields natural inherent bonuses, such as having extra slot to sc in, procs, styles, engage and being useable against arrows, unlike parry.

They should hard-cap all passive defenses at the same amount and have them scale down the same against multiple attackers.
That sounds like a good idea to me. I think both parry and evade is capped at 50%?
Since evade is a free defence, 50% cap there is ok, but maybe cap parry and shield at 70% or so?
Danamyr said:
Instead of crying for a Shield nerf, why not just ask for a Parry boost? Or respec S&S ;)
Parry did get a little love though. It wont be cut in half by 2-handers and wont be penalized as much by multiple attackers as it is now. :)

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
Instead of crying for a Shield nerf, why not just ask for a Parry boost?

It's that logic that ends up with every class either being able to insta kill every other class or no class ever being able to hit any other class.

Simply boosting all defenses to silly levels will only lead to every fight taking 15 mins. Fine on an empty server with no-one with bother you at 2am, not so useful in the middle of primetime on a busy server where a zerg will squish you before either opponent gets below 80% life.

Watching a pally/pally duel is tedious. Lets not turn every fight into that plz! If shields are over the top then nerf them back down a bit, don't just overcompensate everything else to make up for it.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
My crystal ball tells me this will be the return of Coldbeard. The emoting Dwarf Warrior, that always gets zerged by mistake! :D

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Problem is Mythic is trying to balance by being to scared to nerf and boosting things which were already quite powerful to begin with. They need to learn where to draw the line.

I agree with the dw change, I think its right that certain attack types should not halve the defenders chance to defend.

BUT shields were already boarderline OP to begin with, and no real explanation ever as to why it should have almost twice as high a hard-cap along with all the other inherent bonuses I mentioned already.

Now evade I can understand, after all its given for free.

But shield and parry both cost the same to spec, both scale the same, yet parry is capped at 50%

As someone else mentioned already, against 1 attacker the cap should be no higher then 60% and even that could arguebly be to high.

shermi

Fledgling Freddie
Ofc shields are OP kagato, s/s is the best spec but you decide go pole and hit near 1000 because like hardmode!!

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Tuthmes said:
My crystal ball tells me this will be the return of Coldbeard. The emoting Dwarf Warrior, that always gets zerged by mistake! :D

Rofl :D:D:D

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Kagato said:
As someone else mentioned already, against 1 attacker the cap should be no higher then 60% and even that could arguebly be to high.

Soldier's Citadel (+50% block/parry) anyone? Though i do appriciate that you want to nerf your rr5 to nothing.

>.< Pooned

Fledgling Freddie
shermi said:
Ofc shields are OP kagato, s/s is the best spec but you decide go pole and hit near 1000 because like hardmode!!

u can surly speak for any other armsman than kagato,
i think! he was the first with a 50 pole out i remember only him and bloodthorn with a weird spec mostly polearm and that was far before the defender's rage love.....

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Aiteal said:
the warden?
aye, the new hots are absurdly OP'ed also

Hmm and here were people saying that the Friar group HoT (which delves higher than the Warden one) was utter shit for years.
The HoT(highest one) is basically the same as a person chain spamming (base) group heals, sure it's nowhere near the same as the Menta single target HoT but it really helps alot and with the changes so you can cast it while moving/in combat will also help quite a bit.

Sacre

Loyal Freddie
instead of this shield changes i would rather see the malus removed from 2-handed vs shield or evade tbh. this patch will be the end of my solo career regarding my actual spec. respecing to lw would be useless then as well.

Meradesh

Fledgling Freddie
Agree on the 1 vs 1 rvr, it's unbalancing, but I fail to see how it's not unbalancing at group rvr, I mean any tank group would be fucked by a Bodyguard bot with 95%-100% block rate. I see it as a severe nerf to pure melee rvr groups.

Meradesh

Fledgling Freddie
Sacre said:
instead of this shield changes i would rather see the malus removed from 2-handed vs shield or evade tbh. this patch will be the end of my solo career regarding my actual spec. respecing to lw would be useless then as well.

there are no "malus" to remove, 2h weapons atm are facing what DW will face at 1.87 vs shield and evade.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
It still amuse me how Mythic change things, it's either one side or the opposite, Black or White.
Fucking hell god bless em the day they see the grey color tbh.

Haldar

Fledgling Freddie
from assasin's VP.

dancing around enemy to get into his side or rear will become a requirement for fights it seems, along with multiple viper3 reapplications.

Or, even more exotic...CL5 into mage live till pbae and use it on every damn ocassion....grapple/purge + pbae...grapple/cb + pbae....

we'll see.

Bigbrother

Fledgling Freddie
hmmm

and once again zerkers gets a nerf.....
maybe some they they can be used for killing brittle guards ..

o well.....

Thlauni

Fledgling Freddie
I don't understand all this whining!

This is just allowing everyone else to experience how it is to be an archer shooting at someone with a shield. Granted, it is not quite like it yet, as it seems you actually still gets to hit the guy with the shield once in a while.

I see this as a logical extension of the mechanics used against archers, just to be sure we rangers wont ever hit anything again. Of course this being wildly more succesfull through the fact we won't bother to play much at all ;-)

I simply can't wait till 1.87, as I wont have anymore fights with my wife about me spending too much time playing DAOC.

Of course we are promised archer love in 1.88, but it is a threat I will take rather calmly, seeing this promise failing repeatedly since 1.65 or so.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
shermi said:

lol I have had the exact same spec for almost 5 years (with the slight change of actually DROPPING some parry when they put snapshot in crossbow line).

And for most of excaliburs history I was pretty much the only pure pole spec still sticking at it when everyone else went hybrid.

But of cause, I must surely of chosen easymode back then, after all, there was soooo many armsmen pre-heavy tank love.

As for hitting for 1000, if I hit you that hard, its not because of my spec, but because you were stupid enough to leave your elemental resists low.

And actually, s/s is a pretty damn fine near-unkillable spec, i'd try it myself if I wasn't to damn stubborn to change. But i'd make it crush/shield/parry.

Tuthmes said:
Soldier's Citadel (+50% block/parry) anyone? Though i do appriciate that you want to nerf your rr5 to nothing.

Yes of cause, as Armsmen are the only class with an over powered RR5 arn't we? even though we are one of the few with a 15 minute reuse timer and a heavy penalty after using it. :wanker:

Megalodon

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:
l
Yes of cause, as Armsmen are the only class with an over powered RR5 arn't we? even though we are one of the few with a 15 minute reuse timer and a heavy penalty after using it. :wanker:
At least the pally one dont have a penalty. :p

Ho Ha Ho, Kagato, you saying Armsmen are weak and hardmode now then ? :p

Defenders rage spam 4tw 11111111111111. Maybe we all should roll wardens with the new patches and we see how balanced you will think that is.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Ho Ha Ho, Kagato, you saying Armsmen are weak and hardmode now then ? :p

Defenders rage spam 4tw 11111111111111. Maybe we all should roll wardens with the new patches and we see how balanced you will think that is.

Where did I claim its hard mode? don't put claims in my mouth thankyou.

Playing a heavy tank did used to be hard mode until recent heavy tank changes (which effected ALL 3 realms, not just armsmen). But now they are pretty much balanced.

These shield changes may effect that, but given that they effect all shield/parry users, I imagine however good they make heavy tanks, they will make classes like wardens, valks and paladins far better.

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Unless you play on a populated server, I doubt your gonna have any reason to care much about these changes.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Well working as intended i'd say ... Heavy tanks are too easy from a stealther PoV as of late ...

Should provide more of a Challenge :D

I am a firm believe or the idea of :

Stealther > Caster > Tank > Stealther > Caster .........

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Decently kitted out heavy tanks are now untouchable, gl Punishment :p

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Varna said:
Unless you play on a populated server, I doubt your gonna have any reason to care much about these changes.

Nothing wrong with this server, having great fun most nights that I play, and usually to many people to fight, rather then to few.

Sollac

Fledgling Freddie
i respecced to slash shield and love it, in prep for the patch on my arms.

tempted to make my merc, shield spec as alot of the yanks are complaining that although dw 50 is fixed, landing it is very slim.:england:

still dunno yet

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Megalodon said:
At least the pally one dont have a penalty. :p

Except it doesn't affect the Paladin himself, so is therefore utterly useless for solo Paladins...

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Kagato said:

Nope you're right about the OP rr5's. Let's see:

Sorc, Tic, Theur have some pretty good ones too :wanker: <-- lovely emote :|

And yes Kagato, such a heavy penalty it is and when bridge camping for ours the 15min RUT is np at all. Anyways, its about time heavy tanks got some love tbfh, so less bs'ing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom