Shameless BBC link!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Scouse "i've seen" is not a valid argument really

That's the point I was making Toht. Your assertion that glasses are the "most widely used bar-weapon" was based on nothing but an assumption...

But hey ho.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I doubt it's just a myth that the favored weapon of a bar fight is a glass pint.

Of course its a myth. The most favoured weapon in a bar fight is the forehead. Seen that particular weapon lots of times; I've only seen the one glassing (although I have seen a glass being waved about it a threatening manner once or twice).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Of course its a myth. The most favoured weapon in a bar fight is the forehead. Seen that particular weapon lots of times; I've only seen the one glassing (although I have seen a glass being waved about it a threatening manner once or twice).

Well i didn't count forehead and fisties as a weapon ;)

Ofcourse the most common is a simple brawl with no weapons, but Scouse, if you have statistics on some other weapon(chaior, bottle, etc) being mroe widely used, then fair dues.

Instead of repeating "Nu uh you're wrong!", try doing what you often asked me and show me i'm wrong.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
True, better glasses would be a good soluton too.

Though expenses would be greater, it would keep the oh so precious "experience" intact and still remove the shards.

Also trouble areas should stop serving bottles(as places here do) and pour 'em to a pint.

I think everyone here would prefer glassing to be a thing of the past, which is why i would support any change to the regular glass pint(and/or bottle). We can disagree on the semantics ofcourse.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Toht, you posted the numbers, the onus is on you to validate them. I know 5000 is a splash in the ocean as scouse has already pointed out. You also have not answered any of the criticism about cost, it would be MORE expensive (and environmentally damaging) to switch to plastic.

It's not an opinion discussion at all, you are quite wrong, and as usual you won't change your view.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Though expenses would be greater, it would keep the oh so precious "experience" intact and still remove the shards.

It would help the discussion if you were coming across as a smarmy ****. It's an entirely valid concern for people.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It would help the discussion if you were coming across as a smarmy ****. It's an entirely valid concern for people.

It would help a lot of discussions if people did, go figure.

The experience changes f*ck all as you get used to it.

Toht, you posted the numbers, the onus is on you to validate them. I know 5000 is a splash in the ocean as scouse has already pointed out. You also have not answered any of the criticism about cost, it would be MORE expensive (and environmentally damaging) to switch to plastic.

I have answered that, plastic is same as glass, except that it doesn't break.

Costs would be lower in the long run.

These are not "use once plastic pints" i'm talking about. Like i said earlier; If your government is suggesting some form of single use bullcrap plastic cups, it's a different story.

I posted numbers, i expect you to post some too if you want me to even consider changing my mind.

You and some others going "You're wrong!" is not valid enough reason for me to do so.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
it would keep the oh so precious "experience" intact

It IS a precious experience. The only reason to belittle something that millions have enjoyed for hundreds (and, I daresay before glass was invented) thousands of years is because that simple fact is hugely inconvenient to your thinking.

In the same way that condoms make sex a lot less fun, drinking beer from plastic glasses just isn't the same.

Edit: Gah, nath beat me to it.

The experience changes f*ck all as you get used to it.

For you, Toht. For you.

It's a massive problem for other people.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You can't re-use plastic glasses very often, twice if you are lucky. They get trashed, people squeeze them, they crack, they scratch badly. I don't know what these magic plastic glasses you are suggesting come from. I'd suggest they'd cost a lot if they somehow magically overcome the problems of plastic glasses clubs often use.

You do realise how expensive plastic is becoming don't you?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You can't re-use plastic glasses very often, twice if you are lucky.

people squeeze them

Ok, now i know you lot have some different shit going on.

Can you actually squeeze your plastic pints like some soda cans?

Scouse; you'd get used to it too, no problem.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Wow. Just wow. Nath, Scouse, enjoy :)

lol fuck off. I'm out too. He's already demonstrated a lack of interest in discussing it properly by being smarmy and sarcastic about an entirely valid concern and unwilling to retract that. So fuck it, it won't happen anyway, it's a stupid reactionary idea endorsed by stupid reactionary people. Nothing left to discuss fortunately :D.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
For f*cks sake, i've been asking that for ages here.

I'm trying to see if you use some other form of plastic cups as a regular bar cup etc.

Well, glad to see the "higher ups" are on a roll again.

Here's a friendly suggestion; if you want someone to change their mind, asnwer valid questions and actually SHOW them wrong, not just bark "you're wrong!" at them.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Here's a friendly suggestion; if you want someone to change their mind, asnwer valid questions and actually SHOW them wrong, not just bark "you're wrong!" at them.

That's fucking rich given your smarmy comment. On this thread, here, you've played your hand and you lose.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That's fucking rich given your smarmy comment. On this thread, here, you've played your hand and you lose.

Yeah yeah, boohoo, "But you were smarmy!".

Once again, the "you should do things like x" have zero tolerance for accepting fault.

FYI; Ch3t started the smarmy comments on page 1, so bite me.

If you wanted this discussion to actually advance, you'd have answered my valid question about "what the fuck kind of cups do you use", because you can't squeeze apart good plastic pints.

All i've seen in this thread is people screaming "You is wrong!" with zero, none, not one bit, of SHOW how i'm wrong. It's hard to change my mind when there's nothing to change it TO.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I'm guessing toht is talking about higher quality plastic glasses than the disposable ones some clubs around here use. I can imagine if they were made at a plastic picnic mug or sports bottle level of plastic they'd be a lot more re-usable than the paper thin plastic glasses I've seen.

And the experience does matter a lot. It doesn't take much to convince people to invite their friends over to their house for a drink instead of all meeting in the pub.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm guessing toht is talking about higher quality plastic glasses than the disposable ones some clubs around here use. I can imagine if they were made at a plastic picnic mug or sports bottle level of plastic they'd be a lot more re-usable than the paper thin plastic glasses I've seen.

And the experience does matter a lot. It doesn't take much to convince people to invite their friends over to their house for a drink instead of all meeting in the pub.

Yes Fweddy, we got that. They cost more than glass. They hurt the environment, all this has been said. Funnily it's been ignored.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yes Fweddy, we got that. They cost more than glass. They hurt the environment, all this has been said. Funnily it's been ignored.

No, it has not "been said".

I asked if you're talking about those cheapo festival ground plastic cups and if those are the suggersted change -to-.

Because the plastic pints i've been advocating here are stronger, don't get trashed, can be rewashed, will save the bar money in the long run etc. You seem to ignore those points.

You've been too busy screaming "you're wrong" to actually define what you mean when asked.

If you had simply said "They're suggesting we switch to cheapo plastic cups and not good plastic mugs" then i would agree with you that it's a stupid move.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Yes Fweddy, we got that.

Apologies, I started posting when that seemed less obvious (or at least to me) but then when work got in the way of my forum time as it so often does.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Because the plastic pints i've been advocating here are stronger, don't get trashed, can be rewashed, will save the bar money in the long run etc. You seem to ignore those points.

Where do these magical plastic cups come from then? Biggest problem with plastic is that any plastic is easily scratched (so needs to be binned for sanitary reasons) and can't be put in the dishwasher anywhere near as many times as glass (so its lifecycle is way shorter). It would cost already beleaguered pubs a fortune. Oh, and the "cradle to grave" carbon lifecycle for glass is nearly 20 times better than plastic equivalents.

So, save the planet or the faces of 5000 Scotsmen?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

I did. I'd already said I've tried plastic glasses for over 18 years now, and not once enjoyed it. I never get used to it. I don't want to get used to it. I don't like it.

It was quite obvious from my previous posts that I'm not going to try something repeatedly and for the rest of my life on the off chance that you're right, rather than simply insensitive to other people's very valid preferences.

Then you posted this:

Can I "bark" you're wrong now? :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Wasn't talking about your personal opinion with that quote. You can't really show me that you're right about a personal taste, it just is ;)

Getting used to is something that is simple human nature. Ofcourse you could prefer a glass one, but modern plastic glasses aren't that far off and the transition(even if annoying) is not beyond any human. Hell, look at the smoking ban and how people got used to it.

If you ofcourse choose not to get used to something, then fair dues, you won't.

DaGaffer, the "magical" store. Shatterproof glass would be another option, would keep it glass. I simply said that they aren't "use and toss" products like was suggested. New and improved ones are also coming, polycarbonate being one. Glass would ofcourse last longer, but they also break, so would need some statistics to show which would be more viable economically.

Saving the planet? Well, doubt it's neither here nor there if the planet is considered, it'll do just fine unless we crack it in half. Even if you mean saving humanity or nature, bigger problems then local pints.

Saving people from glassing? Think that's a question for people who get glassed.

Nath(and some others); apologies for the smarmy, was uncalled for. Got pissed off at a certain someone.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Jeesus Toht. If telling me
isn't a comment on MY personal opinion what the fuck is??

What's so hard about accepting it's something I can't get used to?

If you come across a girl that doesn't like being fucked in the ass do you badger her until you think she loves it, or find another woman?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I didn't deny that quote, the first quote "if you want someone to change their mind, asnwer valid questions and actually SHOW them wrong," was not meant towards personal opinions.

The second quote i answered on previous.

(Disclaimer; explaining here, not arguing)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Haha, as soon as I saw this thread started today and had 30+ posts, I knew it'd be something like this!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Haha, as soon as I saw this thread started today and had 30+ posts, I knew it'd be something like this!

How is this at all better behaviour? We are atleast on the topic and contribute(well, that could be arguable :p)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If you come across a girl that doesn't like being fucked in the ass do you badger her until you think she loves it, or find another woman?

Is anyone going to answer my question? :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Is anyone going to answer my question? :(

How can we *possibly* answer that without all of the relevant information. How hot is she, does it seem that she'll be up for it with enough nagging? Is she quite filthy in other areas or is she generally quite a prude (in which case when she comes round it'll be that much more awesome).

Details Scouse, you need to provide the details or how can we discuss this properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom