Shameless BBC link!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That where you go to learn violence right?

On a mroe serious note; if a nation already has a word for "hitting someone with a glass pint" then there's a need for change ;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah we should ban knifes because someone made a word to describe cutting someone with one!!!!!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Saw a girl get glassed in a pub in Hull once. The guy who did it was on the way to intensive care about five minutes later, never seen an entire pub chase a guy outside, run him down and kick the living daylights out of him like that. Nasty stuff.

Beer tastes horrible in plastic glasses though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lol! Didn't notice that when I first read it :)

I fucking hate drinks in plastic glasses. But then I'm a bitter drinker and fairly fussy about what I imbibe.

The point in that article about kids not caring so much is simply down to them drinking lager - which is tasteless piss in the UK anyway and may as well be sucked out of a punctured condom as drunk out of a glass...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah we should ban knifes because someone made a word to describe cutting someone with one!!!!!

I think you'll find that knives are quite controlled :p

What word are you talking about btw? 'cause stabbing surely isn't one towards knives.

My point was towards it being so regular around your parts that it has a word, that makes it a problem to address.

When taste comes to play; who seriously goes to a bar to sample some fine ales. If nothing else, the cost should make it a fools errand.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's not regular, carry on reading and believing every press article though. If you think it's different in any other part of the world, then you are clearly more stupid then your posts would indicate ;p

People will find weapons when drunk and angry, should we ban plastic glassed when some creative fucker kills someone with one?

It's an pointlessly endless road, but considering the government in Skirtland, I'm not surprised. Worse than Labour.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't need press articles for it. This place, things spoken, and the fact there's a word for the action speak volumes of the regularity.

Plastic pints are just as good as glass ones and would remove safety hazards.

Hell, smoke ban people should be all over this no?

EDIT: I never said it's any different around the world, stop putting words in my mouth.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
When taste comes to play; who seriously goes to a bar to sample some fine ales. If nothing else, the cost should make it a fools errand.

Me! (remember "real ale" (if you've ever had it) is a darn sight cheaper in blighty than where you live) :)

It used to be a way of life in blighty, but now town centres are monopolised by chav rutting hovels selling cheap mass-produced donkey piss to the legions, who promptly get into fights and hit their mates with whatever they've got in their hands...

To be fair. I don't think glassing is a big problem. But then I avoid the small parts of town where the lower-rent people hang out :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've seen two glass related incidents in 12 years or so. If they didn't have glasses it would have been chairs, they were intent on causing harm.

Toht you clearly indicated it's a UK problem, as you seem to think that having a verb for something is a bad thing. That's the useful thing about language, you can describe things without a long winded sentence, although we know which you would prefer.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Scouse; Fair enough, you do. But i'm thinking(and as you said) you avoid places where this is a possibility and those places don't serve quality stuff, or rarely do since quality finders don't go there.

That kind of nullifies the taste thing doesn't it, when the problem is constricted to the places where high scale drinks aren't available :p

We had full on glass pints etc in our local, then for some reason or other(doubt we had one "glassing" there) they switched to plastic pints.

First reaction; Phwar...hmm.
Second(after week); Bit weird.
Third reaction; F*ck if i care.

Ch3t;

No i didn't indicate it's JUST a UK problem as you suggested. I said, with half-jokingly even, that after there's a term for a spesific act of violence, it might be a problem. It IS a UK problem, doesn't exclude other countries, which is clear from these forums(have heard of glassings in several places) and from it having an own term.

After a quick google, it seems that the UK has over 5000 glassing incidents a year. That's no small number in my opinion.

And f*ck off already with the personal snipes.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You think 5000 a year is a lot? Put it into context, how many people are out drinking, how many fights are reported. Numbers mean nothing by themselves.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Saw a girl get glassed in a pub in Hull once. The guy who did it was on the way to intensive care about five minutes later, never seen an entire pub chase a guy outside, run him down and kick the living daylights out of him like that. Nasty stuff.

I don't approve of violence but I have to say, the second half of that sentence did make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah. A pub in Hull made me feel warm and fuzzy inside once too. But I was OK after I threw up...

/tish!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You think 5000 a year is a lot? Put it into context, how many people are out drinking, how many fights are reported. Numbers mean nothing by themselves.

Then do post some statistics to compare to.

5000 is a lot, 13/day, especially considering how serious the injuries can be.

If you can remove that kind of action from the scene with plastic pints(even if only at problem areas), then where's the harm?

I doubt it's just a myth that the favored weapon of a bar fight is a glass pint.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I was glassed on the back of my head a couple of years ago but some fucking idiotic Scotsman while I was watching football on TV in a pub. For no good reason the fucker just twated me in the back of the head with it.

Horrible day, still have the scars and it isn't something I will forget.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wonder when we'll start knocking down trees because you can snap off twigs and poke people with the pointyness... :rolleyes:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well we could twist the numbers every which way, but there's still no real reason why the problem areas shouldn't change to plastic pints.

Taste = same (unless you're a hoytytoyty drinker, who don't go there)
Safety = better.
Cost for bar = less (due to less shattered pints).
Cost of pint due to cost for bar = less (seen it happen around here)
Time to get used to it = minimal.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well we could twist the numbers every which way, but there's still no real reason why the problem areas shouldn't change to plastic pints.

Safety = better.

You don't need a reason *not* to enact a law, you need a significant enough reason *to* enact one. A nationwide change to how alcohol for what is a *relatively* minor issue is what I'd call pretty frivolous.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Err costs to pubs abd bars would be massive Toht, they already have glasses, which are re-usable, plastic cups are not. It's pointless from an environmental point of view too, and it's not hoity toity, drinks taste better from glass, it's part of the drinking experience.

Once again, glad you have nothing to do with this country, not even a vote. Do it in Finland fine, we are happy with our glass.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
There is a reason for why, what is the reason for why not?

Simple enough i believe.

Removing the easiest access and most widely used bar-weapon is kind of a hefty reason.

I JUST want to know why it's a bad idea. Some reasoning, outside of the usual british "We dun like change here no sirree."

Err costs to pubs abd bars would be massive Toht, they already have glasses, which are re-usable, plastic cups are not. It's pointless from an environmental point of view too, and it's not hoity toity, drinks taste better from glass, it's part of the drinking experience.

Once again, glad you have nothing to do with this country, not even a vote. Do it in Finland fine, we are happy with our glass.

Ok...this begs the question; what kind of plastic cups are they? Are you saying they mean "use once plastic(almost paper) cups? :eek6:

The ones we have here are re-usable, don't break and as such over time become cheaper then glasses which do break.

The costs would go down over time too and drinks would become cheaper. Massive costs hmm? Compared to what? Words mean nothing by themselves :p

The "drinking experience" is all in your mind really.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
There is a reason for why, what is the reason for why not?

Simple enough i believe.

Removing the easiest access and most widely used bar-weapon is kind of a hefty reason.

I JUST want to know why it's a bad idea. Some reasoning, outside of the usual british "We dun like change here no sirree."

The reason for why isn't enough. As Scouse has pointed out - the problem isn't significant enough to warrant a law to intervene. Additionally, are you going to ban bottled beers and make companies change their manufacturing process? That's pretty expensive too.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
:Iagree: nath

Safety = better.

I'm not "twisting" the numbers. I'm just showing them in a fashion that gives people an easy handle on the regularity of occurance in the UK.

And:

Taste: I doubt that plastic glasses directly change the taste of the beer - but it's definately less pleasant drunk out of them. And it's not hoightytoity - it's just wanting to imbibe quality produce. If I want to get shitfaced I'll down a bottle of vodka....
Safety: I'll give you that. But the incidence doesn't justify knobbling everyone's drinks
Cost: Fuck all difference really. Glass pint glasses cost a pub approximately tuppence each. I remember a landlord being outraged that he got charged five pence for his glasses once.
Time to get used to it: I've been occasionaly forced to drink out of plastic glasses for more than 18 years now - and every time it was shit. Aside from that - I don't want to get used to it.

:)

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I consider it a bad idea because it would be expensive to change, it would be bad for the environment, it makes the drinking experience worse and it isn't a large problem anyway.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Removing the easiest access and most widely used bar-weapon is kind of a hefty reason

Oh. And glasses are not the most widely used bar weapon in my experience.

I've seen plenty of fights. Only once even been at a venue where there was a glassing - and I missed it (was on the shitter)...

By your own admission you are presuming that "fact" to be true.

Edit: Yep, the "glassing" I "witnessed" was actually a bottle too...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Please stop saying imbibe :\.

im·bibe (m-bb)
v. im·bibed, im·bib·ing, im·bibes

1. To drink.

?? :p

I like the word. Always have. I also say "my dear barkeep" a lot.

Edit: Fuck you buddy! I've said it twice in this thread! :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Scouse "i've seen" is not a valid argument really.

That's why i asked Ch3tan to post some numbers to compare the 5k incidents to.

Nath; i think it is enough, but that's another opinion.

But it's all for naught really, people, especially brits, don't care for any change(even if it did good) and if you're against it, you're against it.

Another one of those opinion discussions that should be left alone.

Also i do think there must be some kind of moronic version of a plastic pint in the UK, one use or some such. Which would make a lot of the comments here sound more valid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom