Settle me an argument...

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Gumbo said:
Actually by 'matching revs' in this sense I was referring to downshifts. By giving a little blip on the throttle with your heel, or the outside of your foot (see pic of my shoe for mark made by the accelerator), as you pass the gearstick through the neutral position you get a much smoother release of the clutch. This keeps the car balanced, and in extremely wet conditions in a rear wheel drive, light car, you can prevent the wheels from losing traction as the engine braking would try to slow them down too fast.

So matching revs is the result of using heel and toe braking.

Do not try this unless you have a nice empty road with nothing to run into at first. It's a track technique and if you screw it up you can find yourself falling off the brake pedal or actually making the car try to accelerate while you're braking. When you do get it right it does make the drive smoother, and with the right car makes a great sound as you pass that bus stop into the roundabout :)

Actually Gumbo, though right to a large extent it is not limited to when heeling and toeing. If you are slowing for a junction and downshifting then with adequate distance you can begin slowing with the brake if necessary and lift off the brake as you change down a gear to dab the throttle hence raising the engine revs to the appropriate level for the lower gear at that speed before getting back onto the brake to continue slowing down for the obstacle. This is a simple technique for those not wanting to try the heel+toe stuff. It is always good driving practise to select the appropriate gear in advance of the corner/junction, of course.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
You are all wrong and I'm right. End of argument.

Where am I?

:(

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I concur Jupitus, and is probably a good place for someone who wants to learn to do it to start.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Ok, here's a video showing heel and toeing, it's fairly aggressive, and can be done a lot more gently for fast road driving, but it'll give you an idea.

It's nearly 11meg, and please don't link to it off here as I'd rather I didn't get lumbered with a big bandwidth bill, cheers.

Vroom

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
~Yuckfou~ said:
Back to the original point, you can even change up and down without the clutch if you like. You need to catch the revs right though. Handy if you ever nuke a clutch cable miles away from a garage. I don't recommend you do this on a regular basis :/

I used to do this quite a bit in my old mini. On one occasion my clutch DID give up on me and I drove back through South Kensington to Uni without it. However, what do you do at the lights? Answer: Stall the car when you stop and then select first or second and pull away on the starter motor until the engine fires... nasty as hell to be honest! By the time I got to the section in Sth Ken where there are a series of pedestrian crossings my battery was almost dead from stopping and starting so we wound down the windows and were yelling at people to get out of the way at the tops of our voices.... ahh happy student days ;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh, btw, gonna prod Ted and Deebs about a petrolhead forum.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Well if they do have one I would be willing to mod for it. After I've driven over Big G of course. Anything to help out anyways.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have just bought this to replace the TT:

my%20tvr.jpg

And when I pick it up, all other road users will rispec mah athoritaeee!

leggy

Probably Scottish
Is that a picture of your actual car?

If so it's very nice. Despite what the car bumboys say.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
That grille looks wrong. I don't know why.

P.S I have a Golf GTi hence am the fastest thing on the road by far. The end.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Grats Tom, enjoy it. One day we'll have to get some FHousers to a track day where you can roar past me on the straights whilst I monster you round the bends :D

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Sounds good, looks and performs like a slightly chubby ginger girl in bed.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I'm with throd.

A chubby Gillian Anderson. *wood*

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thats the actual car Leggster, minus the private plate. I can't bloody wait to get it, I'd have it now were it not for having to change the reg plate over. It sounds fucking awesome. I'll do a recording when I get it, honestly you won't believe how threatening it sounds. That Clio V6 will be whimpering in the corner.

I'm just about to order this for it as well:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3073&tab=2

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Looking good mate, although what's up with the front grill?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its a mod that the guy put on, hes done a few things to it, but thats probably the only debateable thing. I might remove it, although normally it wouldn't be so obvious as the number plate is supposed to be mounted centrally on the grille. Hes moved it down to improve airflow (fibre glass bonnet means the engine is like an oven).

I'm going to convert the door switches to remote operation, change the stereo, and possibly do some minor mods to the engine including a protective shield for the starter motor (its right next to the hooge exhaust manifolds).

leggy

Probably Scottish
Swift^ said:
My comment wasn't meant to be a good thing.

You didn't need to iterate that point. We knew. We just think you talk shit.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Im sure of it. Other than dusky mediteranean types, ginger is me favourite :D

(Im obliged to say the above :) )

Tom

I am a FH squatter
chim.jpg

All mine! Radio gets fitted on Friday. Changing the locks to keyless entry (keys can scratch the bodywork right now).

Its fucking awesome. I might do some recordings tonight for a laugh, depends on if I'm working tomorrow or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom