Help Server Software

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
MY HP server currently runs Win XP and I have been quite content with it for quite a while now, but XP is no longer supported and I'm thinking that I should change.

I know a lot of people on here run FreeNAS but I have zero experience of Linux stuff and am wary.

What I need it to do is:

Run a network mapped drive for a Win 8 laptop

Support a Canon network printer (I tried a copy of windows home server first, but it wouldn't support my printer, and I got bored way too soon to try any more, and shoved XP on)

Run gPodder or similar to automatically download podcasts

I currently run Serviio for my media streaming, but anything that works would be fine

I guess other normal server stuff as well as Dropbox and Googledrive, but those are the main things.

My other option is to put a copy of Win 7 on it. It is again not a dedicated server OS, but it is something I'm much more familiar with! What do people think?

On a related but separate issue I remember somewhere reading that my HP server supported HDDs 'up to' 2TB. Is this a limit of the hardware or was this just because there weren't many drives bigger at that point. Will it run a 3 or 4 TB drive, or should I stick to the smaller ones?

Thanks

RB

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wang windows 7 on it.

A server is just a PC anyway...

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks Scouse, I think that's what I wanted to hear. I'm just afraid I'm not a proper geek if I don't have Linux running on at least 1 PC!!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Take the opportunity to become a proper geek then. You can install Linux in a VM on a Windows PC to find your way around and then take the plunge when you're ready to update the server. There are millions of people (probably) who have been first time Linux users at some point so there's a wealth of information available on t'inter.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The printer would be your major issue, if it's supported on 7 then that's your most simple upgrade path as there isn't any real learning curve.

Poag

m00?
Chuck Ubutnu on it, depending on what you need it for its pretty simple and theres an easy google fu to find stuff out :)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks guys, split 50/50 I think I'll put win 7 on.

Anyone know about the HDD? Will it take a 3 or 4TB drive?

RB

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hard to advise without model information, if it's a microserver my N36L has 4tb WD Reds in it, no issues yet.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Yeah sorry G, it is a microserver, but I can't remember the exact model. I'll try and find out.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I tried FreeNAS and proper Linux on mine but got bored of looking up how to do every little thing that takes me 20 seconds on Windows so it is Windows 7 now.

I think it is something that is there to do a job and I want it to do it as easily as possible.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Day-to-day Linux stuff is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it. When I started I had a text file on my desktop next to the SSH shortcut with useful commands in it. I just had to remind myself that "rm" was not the 'nix equivalent of "ren" (I only made that mistake a few times*) and "rm -rf" is extremely fucking powerful.

A year ago I'd never have been speaking with so much confidence about using Linux but I really can't recommend taking the plunge enough. Especially if it's a headless server, it's really a no-brainer.

* something like:
"rm <old name> <new name>"
Cannot find <new name>
GODDAMMIT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom