Server rollback

Malena

Banned
Salvion said:
Well i just made 3 MP Studd parts for my self and few mins later ther NEW server shotdown comes up...i take 3 sceenshots of my pices in my invetory and PM a CSR if thats enogh as proof IF it disapper...was no time for an answer tho....

pics can be altered and gamemaster often dont take screenies as proof
however I wish you god luck

yurithegreat

Banned
Think the problems been that the character info has been saving but the item database hasn`t
Anything touched by players in or porting from housing has been dumped to a file and not been saved in the process which leaves us all high and dry back to before the server rebooted
And it`s had the reverse effect on players that never went into housing by giving exp/lvl loss and not changing their items and/or deleting them or duping them

I`ve lost items on chars in housing 1 of which did gain exp but hasn`t lost any
and exp/lvl`s on a char that was in ac all night and never went near housing and haven`t lost items but i do have some drops that have duped in my backpack

Think possibly the item database is conflicting with the character database and probably saving to the wrong files which is why players are getting duped items and also losing items

Well thats my verdict anyways i`m no programmer
Just hope they fix the issue soon i`m bored and looking at playing world of warcrapt

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
essel: Myself I'd say if it went missing in the last 24 hours or so rightnow it - if it didn't then might as well leave it till the prydwen oddness has been resolved first and the GMs have a bit more time :)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Imho it is a bit different bug. Why? If I know well, for clustering, you have to modify the database, and the server configuration, all "insert" operations that try to insert data to all fields tend to be database structure dependent. Some changes for clustering, which was prepared can lead to a case, where the insert SQL statements fail to execute for various reasons, or select statements can return bugous data. Considering that Mythic and GOA billing and support systems are different, GOA version of game probably uses different database format than Mythic ones. And Clustering at 1.74 was trouble free for Mythic, but later clustering attempts were problematic (later patches wasn't prepared for clustering preparations) and some bugs resulted in temporarily removing hookpoints from housing, and some extensive hotfixes.

There are also known issues with the process where the server gives an unique ID for each and every logged in character, and it was observed on prydwen, this can mean: your character isn't identified accurately by serveral processes and can cause loss of items / xp / any other data.

Considering that GOA and Mythic policy about rules of game is slightly different, ther are possible other differences that can make this problem harder.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
essel: Myself I'd say if it went missing in the last 24 hours or so rightnow it - if it didn't then might as well leave it till the prydwen oddness has been resolved first and the GMs have a bit more time :)
Flimgoblin: If prydwen oddness is fixed, I think, loss of one item I can replace myself is acceptable, the question: do it help investigating the problem?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I imagine they've got plenty of examples already to investigate to find the problem.

This stuff is nothing to do with clustering btw - the servers aren't clustered yet - they might have some test servers with copies of the databases somewhere but Prydwen and Excalibur won't have been touched.

The only reason clustering is even being mentioned is that people are worried that their precious zergfarm extravaganza might be delayed! omg!

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin: Are you sure that they haven't done anything that should be done before clustering? No preparations made? Since the site said numerous maintenances that were required as preparation steps for clustering.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Esselinithia said:
Xalin: I have a buffbot used for my own needs, but it is often used to help close friends, if you check the logs, you can find she had a Stardrop gem, and when I checked it last time, she had no such gem (checked on Greapers ML raids) decided, that she needs at least some gem, so placed one in her inventory slot, and tried to investigate what caused loss of gem (friends, the old display bug that was mentioned before, and never led to replaced item), found nothing usefull, decided maybe I can replace the gem, or get some buff bonus for elsewhere and go for EoY. The gem I considered valuable since I got it from a friend (Smellysox). Don't know if I would consider the replaced gem equaly valuable to me (if I replace it by buying a new, or if you replace) so I don't know if it would be good to rightnow the loss of it. Lot of extra work for you, and I don't know what cuased the loss of it, so don't know if it would be replaced. So don't know if RN would be good idea from "greed and need side".

But if it can lead to finding out what caused the loss of the gem and fixing a bug I should send a report it.

What do the GMs say, file a report or not?

They all say file a report, they can't keep track of everyone that loses items just by reading the FH whines :p

by the way account sharing is against CoC :D

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Noone asked them to keep track of it :) And know about several buffbots buffing friends and not the owner in most case, etc. account sharing is probelatic when someone plays the game without paying for it, when someone gets more levels than normal because 3 players playing the same character. When the same BB is responsible for several people buffed: that is a much more common scenario.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Esselinithia said:
Noone asked them to keep track of it :) And know about several buffbots buffing friends and not the owner in most case, etc. account sharing is probelatic when someone plays the game without paying for it, when someone gets more levels than normal because 3 players playing the same character. When the same BB is responsible for several people buffed: that is a much more common scenario.

if you shared your buffbot account and you had an expensive gem go missing why are you surprised? :)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Read what I said, and also think a bit, if it would be the scenario you think about, people who get buffed by buffbot, somehow can steal the gem (you can invent your way), why would they do? To have a disadvantage when they get free buffs, while theydon't have their own buffbot? And imho using buffbot for buffing others, while you play your character elsewhere, etc. isn't problematic. But lets show me a function that can result in missing gem.

(besides you make mistake, since you focus on other account, and or transfer items with friends, for maximum efficiency and lose stuff, or...)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Well you've confused me, maybe Flim can still follow what your on about :)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Kami: As I said, item was lost, probably due to either older known bugs, or other factors, but can be related to this, I am not interested in investigation for the item, but if GOA says it can be usefull information to them, I will RN it. Simple as this.

FH flamers and resident goblin, thinks it is time to flame and not focus on what info can help GOA to fix the problem. Imho if you care about how to blame, flame, etc. and not how to focus on current problem and say there is no problem user was lame / abusive / stupid / etc. that makes many people want to Avoid FH. If moderators encourage this way of posting and attitude, it describes FH, and not constructive stuff. Maybe if you have something that can help GMs you should post elsewhere not in FH, which can stand for Flamehouse as well with this.

GMs can still say: They need all info, or have enough evidence.

As for some people said ultimate stuff is rollback: We don't know when hidden inconsistencies appeared, and we don't know what lost item scenarios are related to it. Since I know GOA don't replace items in most cases, and it can be client side problem, my problem, etc. I accepted the loss of the item. But if they NEED info to see when such stuff started, looking at all incidents might (or might not) help. Imho it isn't what can be solved by flaming, trolling, etc. it can be saved, if GMs say: they need info even if the item probably won't get restored for investigation, or if they don't need. As a programmer, I know, often you need most of the first problematic data to find out what is the problem.

ATM we know, that the bug appeared on Prydwen, but we don't know if hidden inconsitencies, etc. leading to such bugs appear on other servers as well or not. But know what? If it happens on other servers, and Filmgoblin loses stuff, I will be first to say: maybe you should try to help investigation and not to flame next time.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
FAO Xalin

Are there any problems getting new PWs if u have 4 accs on same email addy?

/Dracus

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
You should have different email for all your accounts, had related problems myself, so you should change your email addies.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
This stuff is nothing to do with clustering btw - the servers aren't clustered yet - they might have some test servers with copies of the databases somewhere but Prydwen and Excalibur won't have been touched.

The only reason clustering is even being mentioned is that people are worried that their precious zergfarm extravaganza might be delayed! omg!

Actually I have noticed a few steps they have taken towards clustering on prydwen. for example if your in some zones and you do a /loc, it says something like:

Your loc is 32000 32000 1000, Vale of Mularn, PRYDWEN

And also there is a teleport NPC inside Jordheim that im 90% sure is the NPC that teleports you from server to server. (He is standing behind the lastname npc in the big hall, for any that want to see him)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Which means, all loc data in character database are in different format now. You seen it and seen it well. Also you know that the missmatched unique connection identifier in a new bug is also related to clustering support code: Since the game should now identify players with IDs from other server, again a data format has changed in recent patches, related to clustering, and appears in one of the bug report. If source / target IDs for trades, picking up items, etc. are bugous, a lot of transactions can look ok on client side, but stored for different character or vica versa, which can explain a lot of bugs, and wrong IDs for message targets, etc. can result in problems with chat channels, information sent about visible monsters or other objects... This is why I ask if the bugs are related, since the problems we have now can be result of many different kinds of bugs, problems with tracking certain identifiers mentioned here, or problems with storing data due to changed format for loc data, etc. are all possibilities. Same with race conditions, buffer overflows, etc.

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinithia said:
Also you know that the missmatched unique connection identifier in a new bug is also related to clustering support code:

You are so full of bullshit it's amazing...

The problem (I think) you are refering to that gives you buffs from other realms and speed in stealth etc (that is caused by 2 chars having the same connection id) is as old as this game .. I have classic (8 button quickbar) screenshots of my cleric's conc window that shows I'm buffing people in midgard.

Can you do us all a favor and stop pretending you work for GOA ... orrrrr ... just cut the sharades and come out saying you are Requiel, Xalin or Zenythe in which case I'll shut up for ever and ever.

Dandare

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinithia said:
Which means, all loc data in character database are in different format now. You seen it and seen it well. Also you know that the missmatched unique connection identifier in a new bug is also related to clustering support code: Since the game should now identify players with IDs from other server, again a data format has changed in recent patches, related to clustering, and appears in one of the bug report. If source / target IDs for trades, picking up items, etc. are bugous, a lot of transactions can look ok on client side, but stored for different character or vica versa, which can explain a lot of bugs, and wrong IDs for message targets, etc. can result in problems with chat channels, information sent about visible monsters or other objects... This is why I ask if the bugs are related, since the problems we have now can be result of many different kinds of bugs, problems with tracking certain identifiers mentioned here, or problems with storing data due to changed format for loc data, etc. are all possibilities. Same with race conditions, buffer overflows, etc.
This to me explains a lot to be honest sadly and makes perfect sense :((((
oops just read all post and staying out of it cos pissed off enough with account down :)

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Dandare said:
This to me explains a lot to be honest sadly and makes perfect sense :((((
oops just read all post and staying out of it cos pissed off enough with account down :)

And this is the danger with madmen like Esse posting whatever their brain farts out at the moment.

People think it's true and in return Esse will feel confirmed and posts more bullshit that has about as much in common with reality as an avarage Star Trek episode

Dandare

Fledgling Freddie
Shanaia said:
And this is the danger with madmen like Esse posting whatever their brain farts out at the moment.

People think it's true and in return Esse will feel confirmed and posts more bullshit that has about as much in common with reality as an avarage Star Trek episode
My bad for not reading the whole post tbh Shan.
I agreeded with the post as it stood then read up (schoolboy error).

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Shanaia said:
You are so full of bullshit it's amazing...

The problem (I think) you are refering to that gives you buffs from other realms and speed in stealth etc (that is caused by 2 chars having the same connection id) is as old as this game .. I have classic (8 button quickbar) screenshots of my cleric's conc window that shows I'm buffing people in midgard.

Can you do us all a favor and stop pretending you work for GOA ... orrrrr ... just cut the sharades and come out saying you are Requiel, Xalin or Zenythe in which case I'll shut up for ever and ever.

Noone said or pretended I work for them, so you just make up your own stupid accustions. Well done.

The problem I speak about isn't about buffing or stealth, but about other effects, like sudden deaths on boat, as explained to Xalin, maybe read learning because you talk stupidity.

In the time period when you have the problem developing, you have problems with people getting killed and crashing with an error due to ID related problems, that was quite unusual.

You say, you seen such problems in classic, have you reported the bug? Since many many classic bugs you say as "old as the game" and usual occurance are normaly fixed when discovered :) If they reappear, that means, there is some new cause of the bug. :)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
I think you should be careful about your wild speculations, however, Esselinithia. No need to throw gasoline on the flames. :)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Shanaia said:

I know you are the 12 yeard old fav gankboi of the month, but one thing I claimed: I done programming stuff for at least the last 10 years, and worked on networked stuff, also on database related stuff, where similar problems can appear, and done a lot of testing of other (related and unrelated projects), if you have no programming experience or can't claim it, or don't name any potential problem...

Can't show any proof to back up your silly personal attacks (nice, FH is home of flames and personal attacks), and say, they haven't made a change, yet the GOA site says they did preparation steps for clustering, you say, nothing changed DB wise, then we show you game has Loc in new format, and other data as well, then your stuff are proven false.

If you have any proof to back up your words, and don't make personal attack, but make an intelligent argument, maybe people will see: people who experienced similar problems discussing the possible and probable causes of problem, until only one possible and probable chain of events are determined, and noone has factual proof or other ways, we can be free to say it is probably true.

Some counter argument: excal and prydwen got same changes and probably in configuration, so if a bug appears on one, it should apparent on both. It is true for all bugs not only clustering ones, if we look on the surface. But for clustering the servers need several identifiers that show they are separate, and make it easy to identify objects from the other server, and for this reasons, internal identifiers of a lot of objects (that have apparent bugs) are different on two servers. So while your assumptions (same steps to be taken) in fact clustering preparation is one of the key stuff that should introduce differences between the two servers :) And it also means a rewrite of all code related to identifying objects (to avoid identifiers issued on both places causing problems) and it also means, old bugs related to identifiers are probably isn't in the new code which should work differently.

If you have any counter arguments and not only personal attacks, feel free to show any proof :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom