server numbers in us :P

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
pbaz said:
Plus, there really is no adequete way to describe the sheer joy of logging into these new servers and finding the starter towns packed full. That alone is worth the $30 that it would cost you for a US client - very powerful flashbacks to those first days of EU release. :)

get a free trial ;)

won't last long that feeling though :( it'll be like every other server soon enough. Though maybe not so drastically since there's no /level.

Maybe GOA could revisit their vote on /level ;) or just ignore the vote and do it anyway...

Motowntheta

Fledgling Freddie
TBH the newness, the lowbie levelling, the Knowledge I wont have to grind through TOA, the new people to meet. All these things makes for the server to be worth every penny for me even if it ends up being a ghost town in 6 months, I've had my fun and that in the end is all that matters ;)

Motowntheta

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
won't last long that feeling though :( it'll be like every other server soon enough.

I do believe you want it to fail Fing you old Cynic.

pbaz

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
get a free trial ;)

Strongly recommend that to everyone!

Flimgoblin said:
won't last long that feeling though :( it'll be like every other server soon

Didn't you used to have a "DOOOOOOooooooooooom!!!" quote in your sig? ;)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Motowntheta said:
I do believe you want it to fail Fing you old Cynic.

realism not cynicism - new servers have lots of people running around the newbie zones - once they all have 50s to go ganking in RvR it won't be the same.

I'm not saying the new servers are doomed ;) or the doom of the normal game just saying it's a bit too early to say anything after 3 days about what numbers are going to be like 6 months down the line.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Motowntheta said:
TBH the newness
Newness? It'll be exactly the same races, places, and mobs...in fact it'll be less places and mobs.
the lowbie levelling
You can lowbie level right now if you want to. Just don't use /lvl.
I wont have to grind through TOA
You aren't at gunpoint to "grind" through TOA now. And TOA by and large is fine. All they need to do to fix TOA once and for all is make every ML step do-able by 1FG, make getting scrolls a bit less of a pain, and make artis instanced encounters or a quest (to prevent camping). If you can't be arsed to put in a bit of time in a MMORPG, then you shouldn't be playing a MMORPG at all (that's not aimed at you personally, Motowntheta, just a general point about this genre of game).
the new people to meet
The same people you played with on the blue servers?
...even if it ends up being a ghost town in 6 months
Sadly I suspect that's what will happen. Everyone on VN is wetting their pants over the numbers on the new servers...they seem to be forgetting that Andred was full in its first few days, too. The "ooh new and shiny" factor is coming into play just as it did here, when everyone and his dog rolled an alt on Camlann. And we all know what happened there. And on Andred.

The "no-TOA" server idea is primarily designed to cater for the "I can't be arsed to PvE" l337 ganker. Let's be honest here. That's who it's aimed at. The people who just want to PWN PWN PWN in RvR, in their precious little l337 world of 8v8 gank squads. The people with their "get thee behind me, PvE" attitude, who cannot bear the thought of spending any time doing anything other than RvR, the people who would really be happier playing Quake Team Deathmatch and treat 99% of this game's content merely as something that gets in the way of them going PWN PWN PWN in 8v8 gank groups. The ones who would love to have the abilities of the nice new toys of TOA, but can't be arsed to spend the time getting them and XPing them, because that means time away from PWN PWN PWN. A minority.

And 6 months down the line, when the majority of players have gotten sick of the lack of things to do post-50 apart from going into the Frontiers and being chain-ganked by l337 gank squads (who you can be certain will have made damn sure they're the first on the server to get to 50 and get every item they need for their uber optimsed min/max templates so they can get all the l337 killspam and get high RR so they can keep getting all the l337 killspam) any time they step out into the frontier and gone back to their long-term characters on the normal servers, these l337-ers will be running around in their optimised gank groups going "Waah! These servers r teh suxxor! There is no-one for us to gank to expand our e-peens! Waaaaaah! Mythic r teh suxxor!!!11one11!!!".

The whole no-TOA server idea is a bad one, and a move I was surprised to see Mythic make. Better by far to just take a few steps to fix the problematic areas of TOA and just carry on like that, rather than encouraging some people to stick their fingers in their ears and go "LA LA LA TOA NEVER HAPPENED LA LA LA". Fix the few things in TOA that need fixing, and then move ahead to Darkness Rising. That's the way forward, not some silly retro Luddite server.

-Freezingwiz-

Fledgling Freddie
No bots = less stealther adds, and new way to play the game, ie kill healers first to remove buffs from everyone.

and it could be fun to run around and everyone is low RR and with out ToA, less Banelord interupts and other overpowered inzane interupts....

just imagine a server with a low ammount of Scouts/Rangers/Hunters adding :clap:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Svartmetall said:
The whole no-TOA server idea is a bad one, and a move I was surprised to see Mythic make. Better by far to just take a few steps to fix the problematic areas of TOA and just carry on like that, rather than encouraging some people to stick their fingers in their ears and go "LA LA LA TOA NEVER HAPPENED LA LA LA". Fix the few things in TOA that need fixing, and then move ahead to Darkness Rising. That's the way forward, not some silly retro Luddite server.

I'm pretty sure it's a "told you so" server ;)

with a "well we make some money out of it if not" clause.

Thouth the anti-buffbot stuff makes it a very different dynamic other than the no-ToA stuff which might just keep a good population on there.

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
playing on these servers, and i gotta say i love it. the xp is horribly fast as hundreds of full grps form outside instances, and then earn a sick amount of xp inside. definetly staying on these.

however, the server pops there arent as high as they usually are, usually 3600+ on both, and the servers fill up at around 2pm US time, by 9pm US time (3am or so uk time) servers are impossible to get back on, if u LD, then u are pretty fucked :p

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:

Except noone else is so its a lonely existance ;) I think the point is with no /level everyone is on an equal footing and there will be alot more opportunities for grouping at this level, especially with the new bb rules.

Svartmetall said:
You aren't at gunpoint to "grind" through TOA now

Sadly you are, if you want to do anything but towerhumping or bridgecamping in RvR. Without ToA done you are at a massive disadvantage compare to those that have it. Its not about having a gun to your head, but about beeing competative - noone likes losing because they lack the tools needed to win.

Svartmetall said:
The "no-TOA" server idea is primarily designed to cater for the "I can't be arsed to PvE" l337 ganker. Let's be honest here. That's who it's aimed at. The people who just want to PWN PWN PWN in RvR, in their precious little l337 world of 8v8 gank squads. The people with their "get thee behind me, PvE" attitude, who cannot bear the thought of spending any time doing anything other than RvR, the people who would really be happier playing Quake Team Deathmatch and treat 99% of this game's content merely as something that gets in the way of them going PWN PWN PWN in 8v8 gank groups. The ones who would love to have the abilities of the nice new toys of TOA, but can't be arsed to spend the time getting them and XPing them, because that means time away from PWN PWN PWN. A minority.

Well, the elite pvp'ers are often the first ones to complete the new PvE parts anyway. But sure, the new servers are a step back to the old days when getting rvr-ready wasnt such a hassle :) I think thats why they will likely stay very popular - because most people actually do play this game for the RvR aspect.

Svartmetall said:
And 6 months down the line, when the majority of players have gotten sick of the lack of things to do post-50 apart from going into the Frontiers and being chain-ganked by l337 gank squads (who you can be certain will have made damn sure they're the first on the server to get to 50 and get every item they need for their uber optimsed min/max templates so they can get all the l337 killspam and get high RR so they can keep getting all the l337 killspam) any time they step out into the frontier and gone back to their long-term characters on the normal servers, these l337-ers will be running around in their optimised gank groups going "Waah! These servers r teh suxxor! There is no-one for us to gank to expand our e-peens! Waaaaaah! Mythic r teh suxxor!!!11one11!!!".

But you are missing something hugely important here - the ganksquads wont have the massive advantage they have on the ordinary servers. As stated they always and without exception have their ToA templates done and exped and capped to buggery on normal servers, and they will have ML paths that complement each other perfectly etc. This is very very seldomly the case with a PuG group. On the new servers, without these tools, the gap will be smaller between elite and PuG (less abilities, less overcapping etc) so i cant for the life of me see how anyone would get rolled by elite squads more on these servers than on the ordinary ones.

Svartmetall said:

Agreed that they should fix ToA on ordinary servers, but that still doesnt make a no-ToA servers a bad option :) But yes, they should have fixed it first and then evaluated if there was need for a no-ToA ruleset. Oh well.

Tareregion

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Newness? It'll be exactly the same races, places, and mobs...in fact it'll be less places and mobs.
no ToA, no level 50s yet, everyone around the same level, the chance to build a new community, that's pretty new imo.

With the same amount of people around in the lowbie towns?

You aren't at gunpoint to "grind" through TOA now. And TOA by and large is fine. All they need to do to fix TOA once and for all is make every ML step do-able by 1FG, make getting scrolls a bit less of a pain, and make artis instanced encounters or a quest (to prevent camping). If you can't be arsed to put in a bit of time in a MMORPG, then you shouldn't be playing a MMORPG at all (that's not aimed at you personally, Motowntheta, just a general point about this genre of game).

Umm to compete in RvR you do need to have ToA, and ToA itself took way too long and some steps were way too complicated.

[quote[The same people you played with on the blue servers? [/quote]
Because we've met all daoc players from all over the world, aye.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
I wouldn't bother with one of these Luddite servers even in the unlikely event that GOA provided one (they still haven't even managed to provide a Euro co-op server or 3 English-language servers, what makes anyone think think they can manage this?)...sticking my fingers in my ears and going 'la la la TOA never happened la la la' seems dumb to me.
And adding to what Svar said, they'd need to release one for each language imo, or it will turn into what EU PvP server did, hardly anyone speaking english.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
NF was the mas exodus not toa tbh mainly cus wow had come out by then
I personally think toa was a good addition, many people who had been rvr'ing were geting bored of the same old thing. Toa added a new lvl to pvp with artis and mls, effectivley every char can now be different, some focus on dmg some on defence so on and so forth.
Variation didnt exist in classic/si

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Can't see it lasting - most people enjoy their TOA toys when they've got them and I reckon they'll go back to them in time. Let's face it, by now most people have their toons pretty much sorted with TOA, it only becomes an issue if you are rolling a new char - will people really give up what they've worked on for years just to avoid TOA, especially given that it gets easier each patch? I know I wouldn't.

The non-TOA servers will be preferred by some, but ultimately they aren't going to replace the regular servers. My guess is that in 2 months the numbers will be no higher than any of the standard servers.

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Deepfried said:
would happily dump friar for new friar on non toa server
toa cost me far too time and no fun,also lots of friends disappeared from the game.....
deepfried

Yep, same story here, TOA takes way way too much time and i find it boring - then everyone started dissappearing .. :(

Penguin

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Only the fact that you actually get full groups to xp with, meeting hell of a lot of people, starting fresh etc, zerging a tower at lvl 15 with a zerg of 150 more, are FUN, and definitelly worths it. Also I got 10 free days just be reloging my old US account ;) Nice while waiting to go on holidays again :clap:

edit: Also I always wanted to play a druid, but cba to get gov (again and again, you know what I mean)

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
ToA is at its worst state when you have done it and seen MLs in action (according to you previous posts I assume you haven't?) - remove them from RvR and make artifact bonuses more cata-like and ToA would be fine and Mythic could finally start sorting the real problems.
Svartmetall said:
That sounds so natural in your mouth so I guess you are running around ToA zones going "Waah! These Master Abilities r teh roxxor! There is nothing I can use 50% of these here apart from expand my e-peen! Waaaaaah! Givf more Abilities that I get no use for, i lub you Mythic, make peace, not war, love: Svartmetall!"?

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
NoToAServer.JPG

pwned

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Gear said:
Only the fact that you actually get full groups to xp with, meeting hell of a lot of people, starting fresh etc, zerging a tower at lvl 15 with a zerg of 150 more, are FUN, and definitelly worths it.

No doubt - but has nothing to do with there being TOA on a server or not. As with all daoc things, the server is what people make of it :p

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Bracken said:
No doubt - but has nothing to do with there being TOA on a server or not. As with all daoc things, the server is what people make of it :p

All these considering you don't have to farm artis and go through MLs tho ;)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Lets see a few facts:

Even EU players considered to move to these servers, and many picked up free trial versions to give them a try, so from 22166 players 8231 plays with this ruleset. That is 37%, about 63% of players play on other servers. Even if we would consider only US servers, they would be clearly bellow 50% popularity. Majority of players, including the people who just try US serves becaose of a new server type doesn't go for it. The shiny new server factor, the lots of friends trying it factor, etc. can't help it to go above 50%.

The trials are running, and who knows who will renew the subscribtion after it, after all they want to try the new servers as much time as they can, right? People on underpopulated servers wait till this craze stops, and again, it has an impact on these numbers, and still no 50%.

When the people will find out, that camping for Oily rag isn't much better than camping for SoM, when they see many people who enjoy organizing raids won't work for them for sidi, that they have to farm a LOT to be able to pay for an SCer. (For people who like crafting TOA made much easier to get money to raise crafting) And soon they will see they will have a lot of old problems back. When most of the people on these servers face this problem, the new and shiny server factor vanishes, people will see friends moving back to other servers and new problems unique to this server type... The population will drop quickly.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
that camping for Oily rag isn't much better than camping for SoM, when they see many people who enjoy organizing raids won't work for them for sidi, that they have to farm a LOT to be able to pay for an SCer. (For people who like crafting TOA made much easier to get money to raise crafting) And soon they will see they will have a lot of old problems back.

To repeat your comparison: Before ToA I got Oily Rag for free as a gift from a friend because she had several of them after a couple of camping sessions. After ToA I unsuccesfully attempted a couple of camping sessions on SoM and I'll summarize it as "a lot of frustration and wasted time". And then I even hadn't started searching for the notes to unlock it provided we
a) wouldn't have started to fight with some other people over the camping spot
b) had the luck of SoM dropping
c) winning the roll

Yes, pre-ToA there was also camping and long raids, but ToA went over the top with it. If you think SI and ToA can compare grind-wise you're simply delusional.

We'll see how well those non-ToA servers will do in the long-term but I think they'll do better then some people here might think.

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Don't compare old ToA to the new one now though. I think many of the people complaining about ToA these days only did it once, and then said "Screw that, not doing it again!". ToA has changed drastically over the last few patches and is quite a nice environment. It only took me 3ish days to get all the artifacts for my newest character, and I even got a GoV in the process for another one.

These days most artifacts are largely uncamped on Alb/Prydwen, bar GoLM. :p GoV is more like a "Who runs by when it's up got lucky" encounter now and SoM is hardly ever camped either. They are pretty much certain drops, and they are anything but hard to get.

I'd very much prefer ML raids over Sidi raids, because at the end of the ML raid you're certain you'll get a new ability, whereas Sidi you have to have a lucky roll to even get anything. If you have bad luck, 6 wasted hours! And with artifacts you'll have credit at the least, you can always buy the artifact from the CMs.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Abel: It might sound rude, but when I have full ML4 credit on a level 42 character, already has a level 10 arti and lots of people claim how hard it is to get anything done in TOA, that speaks about their skills only. Yes, it is hard to find a group for ML5 group steps (they need a strong group) at level 42 with a not so popular spec, but if you play the game you should have friends, and I am sure, at around 45, with a good spec, it should be super easy.

Gamah

Banned
Esselinithia said:
Lets see a few facts:

Even EU players considered to move to these servers, and many picked up free trial versions to give them a try, so from 22166 players 8231 plays with this ruleset. That is 37%, about 63% of players play on other servers. Even if we would consider only US servers, they would be clearly bellow 50% popularity. Majority of players, including the people who just try US serves becaose of a new server type doesn't go for it. The shiny new server factor, the lots of friends trying it factor, etc. can't help it to go above 50%.

Thats because each server is at its limit...thats why no more can get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom